Week 5 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

The best breakdown in the business. Funny JT said he liked the play calling compared to everyone else has been the opposite. Seems like the biggest issue was the oline was not handling there assignment correctly. Trey hopping to much was something JT kept going back too. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Very nice. That half a beat Trey was behind on some quick game concepts in college is a full beat now and he’s just really struggling there. NDSU ran a lot of their RPOs on less timing-centric stuff to compensate - they had RPO smokes and quick curls where he could be late and laser the ball in without having to time up a moving receiver. Those still get at the cover 3 kind of shells these run heavy offenses inspire, but they do limit YAC. NDSU also threw more speed outs and comebacks to leverage his strong arm. Lance threw some slants and ins - certainly more than even more gimmicky offenses like those at, say, Clemson, but Lance is still pretty rough right now running those concepts. I mean, the guy didn’t really throw competitive passes in high school either. The rawness was part of the point - to be this good without enough training was impressive. I missed how open the over route was to Deebo on the big play on the first drive that Lance ended up completing anyway after moving up in the pocket. That wide open window is a side effect of his own athleticism. There is no way in hell that Jimmy gets straight up cover three with all four first level defenders a beat late to get back these days on that sort of play. That window has been a lot tighter for Jimmy all year. Linebackers cheating back. Very few true single high looks. Especially not with the way our running game is currently going. That’s the sort of look that we were getting four years ago when Kittle was busting wide open on them all the time and breaking TE receiving marks and teams were a step further behind in the tactics war. The biggest improvement for Lance will be on those timing throws. He’s got to work footwork and get a better feel for when it’s NFL open against zone and you just have to rip it on time. But man, did he get out of jams that he really shouldn’t have also. It gives him the ability to stay above water until he can execute the routine better. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW in other demoralizing news, Fred Warner may have had an outlier year before he got his big payday.

I mean, PFF's metrics so whatever, but here are his career grades thus far:

2018: 64.1

2019: 63.5

2020: 88.6

2021: 59.4

And now he has the rep, so if he's bad, it'll take forever to come to that conclusion lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

They say things like this and I still don't understand what's going on. What are they talking about?

I wonder which KNBR show this was on, because this needed a follow up question. 

What, exactly, is the next step? 

We need to find ways to get the ball into his hands. He's special after the catch. 

Can we find someone else to return punts??

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW in other demoralizing news, Fred Warner may have had an outlier year before he got his big payday.

That Green Bay game was pretty rough for him. And he’s gotta make some impact coverage plays. He’s better against Jimmy G types that pound the middle of the field. We’ve faced zero of those dudes so far. Where’s Mac Jones when you need him? XD

Edited by JIllg

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

They say things like this and I still don't understand what's going on. What are they talking about?

Until further notice, I'm just going to chalk it up as another miss by Shanny & Lynch at the position. All the weird coach speak and quasi-motivational tactics just leaves a bad taste in my mouth in terms of future  production. This regime just can't get out of its own way....it's becoming painfully evident.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Probably Mac&Murph. 

Odd timing of that tweet then, because they are on 6am-10am. The tweet is from 4pm so that would probably be Tolbert, Larry Krueger, and rod woodson 

I like rod, but Larry is a buffoon and Tolbert is just there to chew gum and drink beer 

This feels like a good time to remind everyone that Kyle preferred n'keal harry over deebo and AJ brown 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The PFF LB grades are flawed as hell. 

Warner has played fine, just because he has not been targeted as much when in single coverage, his grade is not higher. Last year he got targeted and had more "stops" and PDs which made his grade higher.

A guy like Ramsey who is phenomenal is getting graded in the 70s.

Use their site for certain stats and not their grades. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

That Green Bay game was pretty rough for him. And he’s gotta make some impact coverage plays. He’s better against Jimmy G types that pound the middle of the field. We’ve faced zero of those dudes so far. Where’s Mac Jones when you need him? XD

Warner is doing what Warner does. Check the all-22 film and see how many times he is in coverage and how little he gets targeted. What he needs to clean up is some of his missed tackles. Once he does that, then he's the same player he was last season. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure shanty is doing this dog house thing because he’s done it before with with great success. I remember him in an interview talking about challenging certain guys after their rookie years and he named Brenda, Kittle and Warner as guys who took that on, I think we’re seeing it with Deebo too, because he was low key in a dog house too at one point.

i won’t call aiyuk a miss yet, way too early in his career, but I am not digging how this coaching staff uses players right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The PFF LB grades are flawed as hell. 

Warner has played fine, just because he has not been targeted as much when in single coverage, his grade is not higher. Last year he got targeted and had more "stops" and PDs which made his grade higher.

A guy like Ramsey who is phenomenal is getting graded in the 70s.

Use their site for certain stats and not their grades. 

Well, again according to their metrics, Warner's tackling metric in the overall grade is lower too compared to his stellar season last year:

2018: 57.0

2019: 51.4

2020: 72.4

2021: 65.2

Also his "pass rush" grades for what's it's worth, which isn't much given his role:

2018: 53.0

2019: 68.3

2020: 75.9

2021: 47.1

Feels nutty having to keep listing stats/metrics in this manner, so I'll stop here. I was just pointing out that according to them it isn't just the coverage grade that has effected everything, and that last year was a mega year for Warner compared to the others. Obviously he's not a scrub or anything, but perhaps his 2020 season may indeed be an outlier from the normal that we might be getting moving forward. I say he's still worth the bread anyway.