Jump to content

Week 5 GDT - Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers


J-ALL-DAY
 Share

Recommended Posts

Dwelley can not be relied on to block. He is horrendous at it. Its a shame our TE play drops off so much with Kittle out, obviously there will always be drop off with no GK, but we go from the most complete TE to a guy who probably wouldnt even make half of the other rosters in the NFL. He is really that bad. 

We know GK has injury issues, so we needed a better blocking TE on the roster. I like Woener, but he is a work in progress. Dwelley is straight up bad, especially as a blocker, and provides very little in the passing game. He should have been cut 2 years ago. 

I think I would like to have some packages where we put Moore in at RT and use McStinky as a blocking TE. We can still pass out of this formation so I dont think we will tip our hand at all. Our OL isnt getting the job done in pass protection, so having McStinky as a quasi TE should help everywhere else. 

The right side of our line is just so bad right now. Mack, Brunskill, Mcstinky is just an absolutely brutal combination. I always say that good OLs make bad play calls look good, and bad OLs make good play calls look bad. Its funny to me how JTO was harping on the bad blocking so much in his video and how he says he liked the playcalls. 

When you think about it, our OL got wrecked first half against philly, in the first half against GB, and basically the entire game against ARI. So it makes sense our offense would struggle big time when the OL isnt getting the job done. The problem is, outside of putting moore at RG like @JIllg has suggested, there is no immediate fix other than guys just need to play better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Forge said:

 

I dont agree with his criticism on the first play. Trey is under immediate pressure, deebo hasnt started to make his break to the inside and the defender is currently playing him with inside leverage. Its just not realistic for JTO to expect TL to make that throw given the lack of reps hes gotten with deebo and given that he should have had more time to throw because we had 5 blockers for 5 rushers. Trey wasnt thinking he needed to immediately throw to the hot route, he would have only thought that if he thought there might be a free rusher, which there should not have been. By the time he realizes there is a free rusher, he moves  Additionally there was an obvious rushing lane and he ran for 12 yards. Thats me being nitpicky for a great video lol 

JTO is 100% right, Lance's feet were not tied properly to his arm. I remember hearing that one of the things Avery had Lance work on was having a wider base when he threw the ball. This would prevent him from taking an extra hitch with the ball in his hands and it got everything out a lot faster. Well, I went back to watch his proday and you can see the night and day difference in how his feet act at the top of the drop back

Look at how calm his feet look. Then look at how he is hopping and heal clicking inside the pocket against the cards. It makes sense that he reverted back considering how long its been since he was taking live bullets, but it makes me super hopeful that he will settle in and that this is something that he can correct in the coming weeks rather than the coming months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well, again according to their metrics, Warner's tackling metric in the overall grade is lower too compared to his stellar season last year:

2018: 57.0

2019: 51.4

2020: 72.4

2021: 65.2

Also his "pass rush" grades for what's it's worth, which isn't much given his role:

2018: 53.0

2019: 68.3

2020: 75.9

2021: 47.1

Feels nutty having to keep listing stats/metrics in this manner, so I'll stop here. I was just pointing out that according to them it isn't just the coverage grade that has effected everything, and that last year was a mega year for Warner compared to the others. Obviously he's not a scrub or anything, but perhaps his 2020 season may indeed be an outlier from the normal that we might be getting moving forward. I say he's still worth the bread anyway. 

So here is the thing, he literally averages three pass rushes a game. Has 15 for the season. Like what is that? It's not like he is getting to blitz and rush the passer often. If he was able to just get one hit or sack, his grade would jump up big time. That's why I'm saying the grades mean nothing. They are flawed and tailor to making a play at the ball. A corner can not allow one catch for the entire game and he can have a lower grade than Dontae Johnson who allowed 9 catches on 9 targets. Why? Because Johnson forced one fumble. Once Warner gets more opportunities and makes more splash plays, the grade will flip even though he will be playing pretty much the exact same 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So here is the thing, he literally averages three pass rushes a game. Has 15 for the season. Like what is that? It's not like he is getting to blitz and rush the passer often. If he was able to just get one hit or sack, his grade would jump up big time. That's why I'm saying the grades mean nothing. They are flawed and tailor to making a play at the ball. A corner can not allow one catch for the entire game and he can have a lower grade than Dontae Johnson who allowed 9 catches on 9 targets. Why? Because Johnson forced one fumble. Once Warner gets more opportunities and makes more splash plays, the grade will flip even though he will be playing pretty much the exact same 

We'll see what happens. Hopefully Warner makes more impact plays and cleans up his tackling this year, but that's always been his weak point. Still a lot of ball left for him to make his presence felt like he did in 2020. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

We'll see what happens. Hopefully Warner makes more impact plays and cleans up his tackling this year, but that's always been his weak point. Still a lot of ball left for him to make his presence felt like he did in 2020. 

You can't make plays if the ball isn't coming your way. Has allowed 19 yards in coverage the last two weeks and hardly even gets looked at when in man coverage vs opposing TEs. Book is out on his coverage abilities and teams just don't try him. Even when he is in zone, they are avoiding going in his area unless he is playing soft coverage and there is a open receiver underneath. 

The make more "impact" plays is not really going to happen since he's not used that way. The Bucs blitz Devin White like 10 times a game so he's able to make more splash plays since he's around the LOS. Warner is not utilized that way and his strength is his coverage ability and when you don't get the ball thrown your way, you can't make "impact" plays. Warner has allowed 44 yards in coverage the last four games on 6 targets. Only game he allowed yards was vs Detroit when the team had a huge lead and were playing soft coverage the entire second half and Goff kept going underneath. If teams go his way more, then you will see him getting more PDs and even a INT or two. But they are not doing that so in the meantime he just has to be a little better tackling. When Ryan blitzes, he likes to keep Warner in coverage and will even bring the slot corner or safety more than he brings Warner. Al-Shaair has blitzed twice as much as Warner. Why? Because if you blitz Warner, then you have to leave Al-Shaair on the opposing RB or TE and that's not going to end well. In conclusion, Warner is playing just fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You can't make plays if the ball isn't coming your way. Has allowed 19 yards in coverage the last two weeks and hardly even gets looked at when in man coverage vs opposing TEs. Book is out on his coverage abilities and teams just don't try him. Even when he is in zone, they are avoiding going in his area unless he is playing soft coverage and there is a open receiver underneath. 

The make more "impact" plays is not really going to happen since he's not used that way. The Bucs blitz Devin White like 10 times a game so he's able to make more splash plays since he's around the LOS. Warner is not utilized that way and his strength is his coverage ability and when you don't get the ball thrown your way, you can't make "impact" plays. Warner has allowed 44 yards in coverage the last four games on 6 targets. Only game he allowed yards was vs Detroit when the team had a huge lead and were playing soft coverage the entire second half and Goff kept going underneath. If teams go his way more, then you will see him getting more PDs and even a INT or two. But they are not doing that so in the meantime he just has to be a little better tackling. When Ryan blitzes, he likes to keep Warner in coverage and will even bring the slot corner or safety more than he brings Warner. Al-Shaair has blitzed twice as much as Warner. Why? Because if you blitz Warner, then you have to leave Al-Shaair on the opposing RB or TE and that's not going to end well. In conclusion, Warner is playing just fine. 

Oh I didn't mean just his pass coverage abilities like getting pass deflections or interceptions. Or sacks which isn't his role anyway as I said earlier. I also meant tackling which he's usually struggled with, but is a constant thing he is obligated to do. He can certainly do better there. Might just be a consistent weak point of his though as it was when he came out of college. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh I didn't mean just his pass coverage abilities like getting pass deflections or interceptions. Or sacks which isn't his role anyway as I said earlier. I also meant tackling which he's usually struggled with, but is a constant thing he is obligated to do. He can certainly do better there. Might just be a consistent weak point of his though as it was when he came out of college. 

He's built for coverage and to be a backer in the new age of football. Not obviously the biggest of LBs either. Warner can clean it up a bit but he's never going to be a LB that has single digit missed tackles every season. He's only really had one or two bad missed tackles this season. The others he has at least slowed down the RB or receiver where they were tackled right away by someone else. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's built for coverage and to be a backer in the new age of football. Not obviously the biggest of LBs either. Warner can clean it up a bit but he's never going to be a LB that has single digit missed tackles every season. He's only really had one or two bad missed tackles this season. The others he has at least slowed down the RB or receiver where they were tackled right away by someone else. 

Yes, average is probably the best one could hope for with Warner in the tackling department. Oh well. Can't win em all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

• San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) was hopeful as late as Friday that he would have been able to play Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, so he was relatively close. Now that the 49ers are on their bye week and Trey Lance has a knee sprain, it seems to be an early indication Garoppolo should be ready Oct. 24 against the Indianapolis Colts.

https://theathletic.com/2888266/2021/10/14/lamar-jacksons-contract-talks-odell-beckhams-future-with-browns-what-im-hearing-around-the-nfl/?source=twitterhq

So looks like Jimmy will be the starter post-bye week. Still not sure how he thought he would be able to go late Friday when he could not even practice on Friday.

One thing is clear, even if Jimmy is the man going forward this season, Lance will need to get more snaps than he did before JImmy got hurt vs Seattle. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://theathletic.com/2888266/2021/10/14/lamar-jacksons-contract-talks-odell-beckhams-future-with-browns-what-im-hearing-around-the-nfl/?source=twitterhq

So looks like Jimmy will be the starter post-bye week. Still not sure how he thought he would be able to go late Friday when he could not even practice on Friday.

One thing is clear, even if Jimmy is the man going forward this season, Lance will need to get more snaps than he did before JImmy got hurt vs Seattle. 

Yup tbh just give Lance a full series or two. I know it's hard because we are trying to win a game. But it can be effective especially in the run game. Gets the defense off balance from there game plan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yup tbh just give Lance a full series or two. I know it's hard because we are trying to win a game. But it can be effective especially in the run game. Gets the defense off balance from there game plan. 

You can still try to win and get Lance in the game. Shanny can do it, he just needs to commit to doing so and needs to ignore Jimmy's feelings towards this. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You can still try to win and get Lance in the game. Shanny can do it, he just needs to commit to doing so and needs to ignore Jimmy's feelings towards this. 

You bring up an interesting point. JG did say publicly that he didnt like rotating. Perhaps the plan was to rotate more but JG said he didnt like it and then kyle backed off because he really does view JG as QB1 and doesnt want to mess with it. 

Post INT Jimmy is the best Jimmy. Perhaps post Lance series will be the best Jimmy also. There are times JG looks locked in mentally, and there are other times he looks like he just goes through the motions. Sometimes he wakes up so to speak after he turns the ball over. Its like he refocuses, gets a little ticked off and then plays his best football. I have zero patience for dumb turnovers, missing open receivers, or hospital passes anymore.

JG has not played well enough to warrant leaving Lance on the bench. Its all about getting Lance used to the speed of the game. His footwork reverted back to bad habits the last two weeks because he hasnt exactly "settled in" to the NFL as of yet. Weekly snaps will get him there, but it needs to be for more than one random play at a time because it will allow him to really get comfortable. If his footwork gets sorted out, the accuracy will follow, and then we can run the "full offense" with him.

Rotating QBs looked great against the raiders. Granted it was the raiders, but the defense head's were spinning. I see no reason why this cant work every week. 

The bye week is the perfect time to implement this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You can still try to win and get Lance in the game. Shanny can do it, he just needs to commit to doing so and needs to ignore Jimmy's feelings towards this. 

Kyle might not care about Jimmy's feelings in the first place win it comes to trying to win. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tbh I think we should have expected to have some struggles early on. We went super safe with everyone due to injuries in the past. The team is rusty as heck. I fully expect the offense to start rolling here a little better.

Hopefully Kyle starts trying to get Aiyuk some manufactured touches. Get the ball In his hand. Whatever regression he had won't improve making him earn it only in practice. He needs to get confidence with opportunities in game action. We aren't in a place to work on making them earn it right now only.

Feels like Kyle has the same feeling with Kittle but no one has mentioned anything about it. I know Kittle is missed dearly on the offensive line but still. Kyle might be going too hard at the players this year. Seems like everyone gets in the dog house quickly.

Edited by 49erurtaza
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...