Any lb or db we can trade for right now

Vladimir L

It’s trickier with Gilmore for me. I think he’s a great player, I think he’d be an easy upgrade over the guys we have at the moment. But I think he’s going to cost money, and he’s going to get money for years

I think we have too much invested at CB already to make another huge outlay like that. I also think the (relatively mild) turnover in the secondary is causing some issues with communication and cohesion, and I would fear that adding a new top dog is only going to prolong that issue. 

Smith, Collins and Gilmore. Is Smith and Collins better than Mayo or Kuynaszyk whatever his name is. I think the answer is yes. At this point we have to at least make an attempt to look into this and maybe sign one of them. Who knows maybe a new team will help them. Better pickup the pace and make up your mind on Gilmore. He definitely will not last long at all after 4:00 pm today.

Edited by 4209

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Depending on the cost, signing Jaylon Smith seems like a no-brainer at this point. It’s definitely a “SnyderSkins” type move, so I understand some resistance, but he’s obviously an upgrade at the weakest position on the roster. 

For those who thought Jon Bostic was slow and unathletic, you’re in for a real treat with guys like David Mayo and Jared Norris. At their best, they may reach a Bostic-esque level; they aspire to be Jon Bostic. 

I’m not a believer in Khaleke Hudson, so hopefully he proves me wrong. But even if he does, and even if Jamin Davis proves ready to step into a bigger role, you still have two somewhat undersized and very inexperienced LBs (in addition to Holcomb) as the only thing standing between Mayo/Norris/Kunasyzk and full-time snaps. 

I think the big issue here is that we remain somewhere in no man’s land as far as whether we’re trying to win now or just focusing on the early stages of a full-scale build. For a team trying to win, it’s a slam dunk to sign Smith. That’s a legit starting talent at a position with a gaping hole (or two). For a team that’s still in the developmental stages, maybe it doesn’t make as much sense. I don’t think they know where they are on that spectrum, and I think that’s one of the big reasons they’re struggling to get things to click.

Agree, but I would also add that it is a total RiveraSkins move to sign a player like Smith to a 1 year deal, give him a chance to thrive and then lose him in the offseason.  So that is what I expect if it happens.  Although I don't think it will happen because these guys would have to admit they were wrong at their evaluation of LBer to sign a name like this and I think Rivera and Del Rio are too stubborn for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You really don’t think Jaylon Smith is better than Jordan Kunaszyk or David Mayo? Because that’s basically what we’re staring down the barrel at. 

Dunno. But I'd like to find out about the latter two and see what we have. Smith signing wouldn't be too bad though. I just want everyone to realize that this isn't Mack we're signing.

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

For what it's worth. I read the 'Boys cut Jaylon Smith because his 2022 contract is quaranteed to pay $9.2 million if he gets hurt this year and misses next year . CYA move .

It’s more than that, he hasn’t been good at WLB bc he’s struggled to cover in space. He basically looks like John Bostic out there. So, If we signed him I would only want him to be in on run downs. When we go to the nickel or Buffalo nickel with 3 safeties, I wouldn’t want Jaylon on the field, I’d want Holcomb & Jamin on the field instead.

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

Smith, Collins and Gilmore. Is Smith and Collins better than Mayo or Kuynaszyk whatever his name is. I think the answer is yes. At this point we have to at least make an attempt to look into this and maybe sign one of them. Who knows maybe a new team will help them. Better pickup the pace and make up your mind on Gilmore. He definitely will not last long at all after 4:00 pm today.

You have to remember that back ups need to play special teams. Guys like Kuynaszyk, Mayo & Hudson are special teams guys. So, if we sign Smith he definitely needs to start, I don’t know that he’s played special teams as a pro or even if he did in college, maybe as a freshman?

Edited by turtle28