QBs in the 2022 Draft

mwalker

Allen dominated in North Dakota State.  Ben Dominated the Mac for a year. It is still a team sport and NDS is a perennial power house in the MVC.  Riddler has at least played and won against ranked teams.

Allen had terrible accuracy until they fixed his mechanics.  Riddler has a hitch in his windup that sometimes comes out and makes him less accurate.  Allen was drafted on potential.  Riddler will be the same but will come out with a high floor than Allen.

That's a pretty good point about prospects in general, @jebrick

A lot of issues can be fixed with these guys. I don't know if we've got the staff to do major fixes with QBs, though. We've never really seen the team do it with a high level prospect. I don't know if Ridder's accuracy, or Strong's lack of mobility, can be ironed out. It's possible. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anyone have any takes on Jayden Daniels from Arizona State? He's slight, but he looks pretty legit. 3 year starter, good LOC, elite traits. 

Not a huge take, but I think he should stay at AZ St. one more year or transfer to another school. Either way, he needs to bulk up some in my opinion. You say he is slight, and I say he is super skinny. His stats look decent, but he still holds the ball too long, and he takes lots of sacks. Good speed, strong-ish arm. He could be a top pick in 2023 if he can figure things out. If he comes out in 2022, he'll probably go 4th round.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Not a huge take, but I think he should stay at AZ St. one more year or transfer to another school. Either way, he needs to bulk up some in my opinion. You say he is slight, and I say he is super skinny. His stats look decent, but he still holds the ball too long, and he takes lots of sacks. Good speed, strong-ish arm. He could be a top pick in 2023 if he can figure things out. If he comes out in 2022, he'll probably go 4th round.

I don't think he's physically ready for the NFL yet. 
P.Jurkovec (BC via ND) - if he comes out - has potential, but got injured.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought seeing the Steelers (and almost every other team) at the Ole Miss vs Liberty game was interesting.
My worry about M.Willis played out against better competition and he threw 3 INTs, with no TDs.
M.Corral on the other hand, was very, very good.

Edited by mwalker

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

Thought seeing the Steelers (and almost every other team) at the Ole Miss vs Liberty game was interesting.
My worry about M.Willis played out against better competition and he threw 3 INTs, with no TDs.
M.Corral on the other hand, was very, very good.

Corral worries me. He's a small, slow, mobile QB. That archetype has been dreadful in the NFL lately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

As it stands today I'm in the "Let Mason and Haskins Compete for the Job" camp. There probably won't be any draft eligible guys that will give us a better chance at winning a SB next year than those guys. Our defense is too good to not try to compete for SBs. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I still like C.Strong in RD2. I don't love D.Ridder or S.Howell, but who knows...

5 hours ago, cjfollett said:

I do not think Strong is not going to be good in the NFL. He's Mike Glennon redux, IMO.

We'll see. He is better than Glennon ever was in college, but I get your point (immobile). 
Look, I'm not suggesting he's THE solution. I think it's a very weak class overall.

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

As it stands today I'm in the "Let Mason and Haskins Compete for the Job" camp. There probably won't be any draft eligible guys that will give us a better chance at winning a SB next year than those guys. Our defense is too good to not try to compete for SBs. 

I am on this boat....for now. No QB in this class makes me think 15 year franchise winner, so you would need to manufacture everything around them. I think this team has a lot of young talent on it already, but I would rather roll the dice with Mason/Haskins and see what we really have in Canada while we use that high end draft capital on more keystone players (Tackle, DL, DB).

It's obviously a perfect world view, but my dream off-season would be nailing down 1 of the big interior offensive lineman in FA (Connor Williams/Wyatt Teller), one of the top 2 CB's (either of the Jacksons), and then drafting a LT (Roadgrading, poor pass blocking Dan Moore to RT) and another DB (scary, I know) and then if all goes well you have a nice OL w/ Najee moving forward and you spend whatever it takes the following year to get a QB. 

If you strike gold with Mason/Haskins being able to manage an offense w/ a coordinator that can handle the burden himself ...then just keep adding assets. If not, you should have a nice structure of talent around to go all in on the most important position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Kenny Pickett is going to play himself into the top QB spot. He looks pretty good. 

Kenny has been practicing around the steelers for yrs and his OC has a history with us. I think the steelers will be all over him during the evaluation process