Jump to content

QBs in the 2022 Draft


mwalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

The  LOC in the Southland conference isn't too far behind Mountain West. It's probably tougher than the Missouri Valley (Wentz/Lance) and not as good as Big Sky (Cooper Kupp).

Wentz flamed out in Philly after his QB coach left for Indy. Now that he's back with that coach, he seems to be a lot better. If not for that, Wentz might have flamed out.

I fear signing a kid like Cole Kelley with no support system might lead to disaster for him. Say what you will about Mason Rudolph, but he had little or no support with the Steelers and it shows with how inconsistent he is. Kelley might be a good/great NFL QB one day, but not with the Steelers.

They need a guy like Brady who is self-motivated and driven to be better every day. Ben got by on his raw talent, ability to extend plays, and just brute strength. He was also eased into the position with a strong running game and great defense. Kelley might be able to replicate that with his size and strength, but he'll be a late round pick at best, and I doubt he'll get much of a chance aside from pre-season to show anything.

Edited by cjfollett
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice conversation about QBs in the upcoming draft. Kenny Pickett reminds me of a more athletic Davis Mills. Malik Willis reminds me of Lamar Jackson. Matt Corrall reminds me Josh Allen. Never heard of Kelly but I'll definitely be checking him out 

Here are two QBs I really like: TN Henson Hooker and Indiana Michael Penix Jr. Hooker reminds me of current Steelers QB Josh Dobbs. They're almost the same size and have the same style of play. Hooker runs with more power and has a stronger arm but when he misses, he misses high. He even looks like Josh Dobbs lol. 

Michael Penix Jr reminds me of Tua Tagovailia(sp). He's left handed, has a quick release, is very accurate when he has time to throw, and has a strong arm. Penix throws well under pressure with some great ball location on his throws. Unfortunately, 2021, his OL has been so bad that he's constantly under fire and was forcing the ball too much. I think his strengths far outweigh his flaws. What do you guys think of these two prospects?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After this season, Penix should stay in school and try to learn.  He absolutely and without a doubt sucked.   If he came out he would not be drafted.

A couple more for you Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina. He is not asked to throw deep due to the system but when he does it is a rope.  He has good, not great, arm strength.

Will Levis Kentucky ( via Penn St.).  I think he should say another year but if he comes out I do think the Steelers should get him in the 3rd+ round.  Has all the attributes you want but is pretty raw.  He has been described as Tayson Hill's body on (college) Brett Farve arm/head.  He has tremendous potential and if he stayed another year he could easily be a 1st round QB.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

After this season, Penix should stay in school and try to learn.  He absolutely and without a doubt sucked.   If he came out he would not be drafted.

A couple more for you Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina. He is not asked to throw deep due to the system but when he does it is a rope.  He has good, not great, arm strength.

Will Levis Kentucky ( via Penn St.).  I think he should say another year but if he comes out I do think the Steelers should get him in the 3rd+ round.  Has all the attributes you want but is pretty raw.  He has been described as Tayson Hill's body on (college) Brett Farve arm/head.  He has tremendous potential and if he stayed another year he could easily be a 1st round QB.

 

Yeah Penix struggled plus his injuries will make him a borderline draft pick. If Penix stays in school, I'd like him to transfer as that OL was too similar to the Steelers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • I also have been intrigued by Cole Kelly. I had him rated pretty high going into the season, the fact that I never see anybody else talking about makes me wonder if Im crazy. Then you see him rolling through the season and playoffs again with gaudy numbers, but numbers arent why Im ever intrigued by anybody really.
  • I agree with Jebrick on Kelly but not on Pickett, polar opposites apparently. His arm is well enough but his combo package of mobility makes him an exciting prospect. I would be cautious about selling the farm for him but he has a lot to offer teams vs what they have. 
  • I dont really see the Corral intrigue other than running ability. 
  • I was hard on Sam Howell going into the season and knew he would not look anything like last year with all those weapons he had and lost. It may just be his look but he reminds me of a bit stronger armed Mayfield. He is gritty though. 
  • Carson Strong is a hard pass. No bueno.  
  • Malik Willis is definitely intriguing, but Id put the other Malik, Cunningham right there with him. Cunningham played against much tougher competition and Im pretty sure hes faster / better runner. 
  • I haven't done the work I normally do to this point but these are my initial feelings based off of what I have looked into. 
  • Id be happy if the Steelers picked up a mobile vet like Mariotta and drafted a young electric qb like Malik Cunningham in the 2nd, can say the 3rd. He's already a better passer than Lamar. This team has so many brutal holes that Id much rather see some crucial areas addressed unless THE guy they want falls within reach without giving away the farm.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:
  • I also have been intrigued by Cole Kelly. I had him rated pretty high going into the season, the fact that I never see anybody else talking about makes me wonder if Im crazy. Then you see him rolling through the season and playoffs again with gaudy numbers, but numbers arent why Im ever intrigued by anybody really.
  • I agree with Jebrick on Kelly but not on Pickett, polar opposites apparently. His arm is well enough but his combo package of mobility makes him an exciting prospect. I would be cautious about selling the farm for him but he has a lot to offer teams vs what they have. 
  • I dont really see the Corral intrigue other than running ability. 
  • I was hard on Sam Howell going into the season and knew he would not look anything like last year with all those weapons he had and lost. It may just be his look but he reminds me of a bit stronger armed Mayfield. He is gritty though. 
  • Carson Strong is a hard pass. No bueno.  
  • Malik Willis is definitely intriguing, but Id put the other Malik, Cunningham right there with him. Cunningham played against much tougher competition and Im pretty sure hes faster / better runner. 
  • I haven't done the work I normally do to this point but these are my initial feelings based off of what I have looked into. 
  • Id be happy if the Steelers picked up a mobile vet like Mariotta and drafted a young electric qb like Malik Cunningham in the 2nd, can say the 3rd. He's already a better passer than Lamar. This team has so many brutal holes that Id much rather see some crucial areas addressed unless THE guy they want falls within reach without giving away the farm.

Any opinions on Desmond Ridder? He's a real enigma to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Any opinions on Desmond Ridder? He's a real enigma to me. 

I kind of agree with you. I see some good things, but don't get impressed at the same time. 

Based on my notes, Jeckyl and Hyde is kind of what sticks. Average arm. Has ability to win but doesn't always play that way. Accuracy and decisions are questions..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I kind of agree with you. I see some good things, but don't get impressed at the same time. 

Based on my notes, Jeckyl and Hyde is kind of what sticks. Average arm. Has ability to win but doesn't always play that way. Accuracy and decisions are questions..

 

He's got a lot of pluses, but he never puts up gaudy numbers. He's a winner, though. Cinci isn't a powerhouse and they've steadily risen under him. I like his arm more than Pickett, but Pickett is a lot flashier. I've heard rumors that Ridder works crazy hard on his game too. I'm starting to think he might be the best QB in the class. That Bama game is going to be a big one. If he puts up good numbers in a close loss or a win, he'll vault to the #1 spot I believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my opinion....either go get your guy or just wait til next year if you’re going the rookie route.

Hit rate on QBs after the 1st round is beyond terrible...I’d rather have them throw another mid round pick at RB before going QB.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AFF said:

Just my opinion....either go get your guy or just wait til next year if you’re going the rookie route.

Hit rate on QBs after the 1st round is beyond terrible...I’d rather have them throw another mid round pick at RB before going QB.

Unless it's a super high potential dart throw, I completely agree. If our coaching staff feels comfortable taking a guy like Kelley in the 4-6th round and developing him for 3 years, that'll work. If the intention is to get a guy to start in 1 or 2 years, gotta be a 1st rounder. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Unless it's a super high potential dart throw, I completely agree. If our coaching staff feels comfortable taking a guy like Kelley in the 4-6th round and developing him for 3 years, that'll work. If the intention is to get a guy to start in 1 or 2 years, gotta be a 1st rounder. 

Same for going the vet QB route..either go after Rodgers/Wilson or just stick with Rudolph and get the pieces around him to see if he takes that next step or the pieces are in place for QB of the future.

Wasting valuable cap room for a 1 year  stopgap vet doesn’t make sense to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AFF said:

Same for going the vet QB route..either go after Rodgers/Wilson or just stick with Rudolph and get the pieces around him to see if he takes that next step or the pieces are in place for QB of the future.

Wasting valuable cap room for a 1 year  stopgap vet doesn’t make sense to me.

You could have Mariota for next to nothing. Rudolph and Haskins are dead stories, drains on morale. Mariota has the mobility they want and need, and doesnt turn the ball over. In the meantime, you mold your offense around mobility and ball control and potentially develop an electric player like Malik Cunningham. 

I do agree though that Id also be patient, there are no sure things in this class. There is potential, more than I felt early in the year. Also though, promise doesnt always develop as youd figure, for example Spencer Rattler and many examples in years past of underclassmen promise that didnt develop as expected. 

I think the other thing this team needs to find is a good leader. Im not taking a shot at Ben, but there were numerous times over the years where you knew things could've been handled and or stated better. I feel it could help reel in some of the lack of discipline on this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...