MLB Playoff Discussion

BayRaider

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I blame the organization for Torre's plight....somewhat. I think he was on the juice back when he was crushing the ball all over the place - there's no other way to explain the sharp drop off in his game - but - putting him at SS and keeping him there when he had absolutely no business being there - is on the organization. They refused to go after a bona fide SS after Didi - and compounded the issue by signing a very talented and gold glove 2nd baseman: DJLM.  Now what do they do? There's SS talent in the minors - but its a couple years and talent levels away still - so what do they do now? Put DJLM at 1st? He lacks the lateral movement and arm strength of a 3rd baseman. 

No team can consider itself championship caliber when they routinely run an infield out there filled with guys playing out of position. Thats on the organization.

Gallo............

Cant say I knew much about his game. Thats what comes from hanging around teams like TEX:  anonymity. I lIke his fielding, base running, attitude and the occasional time he actually hits the ball....but damn, those moments are way too few and far between for an everyday player.

The NYYs have to rid themselves of the .200+/- club - or minimize it at the very least.

Again - no team can consider itself championship caliber when fully a third of its lineup hits for chump change. A player might have a good month or so - but they'll usually revert to form: being a hole in the lineup.

Moving Torres around to short and second isn’t the reason he sucks. Outside of him, the infield isn’t that bad defensively . There’s certainly bigger problems. You may be right about him being on juice. Idk any other way to describe the massive drop there . 

My issue with Gallo is he’s practically a one trick pony. He hits a HR , walks or he’s done. He can’t hit with RISP.

They need to play the game right again. Enough of this horse s*** HR or nothing . 

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Moving Torres around to short and second isn’t the reason he sucks. Outside of him, the infield isn’t that bad defensively . There’s certainly bigger problems. You may be right about him being on juice. Idk any other way to describe the massive drop there .

Torre's play has improved considerably since he was moved back to 2nd. He moves far better and with more confidence. He was terrible at SS and kept making critical errors (or non-plays) that cost us runs, extended innings and higher pitch counts for our pitchers. He's *not* a SS.

1st base is in good hands with Rizzo defensively. Voit's a defensive black hole...I mean, he's just bad. He cant stay healthy and cant be counted on in the same lineup with AJ and Stanton. Its an IL waiting to happen. 

Either we're backed up at 2nd - with Torres & DJLM - or we're backed up at 3rd - with Gio & DJLM - or - we dont resign Rizzo, park DJLM at 1st and just be done with it. I've no idea what they'll do.

I wish somebody would convince Rizzo to back off the plate about 3". There's nothing wrong with his bat speed (yet) and he might be able to straighten out some of the many foul blasts is he wasnt parked right on the plate - but I dont think the NYYs have had a decent hitting coach for years. 

They finally figured out the pitching coach by getting rid of Rothschild. He was a waste of time. Blake's got a clue and actually makes positive adjustments to the pitching staff (Read: Holmes).

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Yes....they did strike out 60 more times.....but they also hit for a higher average, OPS and SLG% - while hitting far more doubles, triples, total hits and tying in HRs.

Oh and they crushed NYY in the most important stat: total runs scored.

Tampa hit the ball better than the NYY - in a season when AJ and Stanton avoided the IL for the most part.

Oh - the NYY led the AL in walks - so there's that. Tampa was 3rd.

Right but you said they put the ball in play more which isn’t true haha

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s an extremely unlikable team. 

They royally f***** this up. It was the dumbest thing they could do letting Girardi go. The locker room is full of soft, lazy, heartless entitled losers. 

If I see Gary Sanchez in a Yankee uniform again im gonna puke. He’s been lazy his whole career and is a disgrace to the pinstripes. 

Torres can GTFO too. Lazy, heartless , no concentration. 

Aaron Boone is the biggest joke hire of all time. He hit an iconic HR and can mimic batting stances and that makes him qualified to be The Yankees manager ?  It was embarrassing back then, it’s embarrassing now. 

Brian Cashman, he wanted a ‘yes man’ he got him and it was awful. He still can’t put together a pitching staff, insists on having a one dimensional offense and most of his top prospects haven’t worked out. 

Gallo can go too.

The Yanks have won 1 title since 2000 . What they’re doing with how they construct their lineup and the pitchers they take isn’t working and they’re gonna continue to do so. It happens every year. 

They need a strong locker room , a balanced lineup and mentally tough pitchers. They’re gonna run it back and do the same thing they always do and the same results will happen 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s no difference in managing styles between Girardi and Boone, except how they were perceived in the locker room. They were both Cashman puppets that went by the analytics and not “feel for the game” so this makes no sense.

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

There’s no difference in managing styles between Girardi and Boone, except how they were perceived in the locker room. They were both Cashman puppets that went by the analytics and not “feel for the game” so this makes no sense.

Idk how you got that from my post . This isn’t an anti analytics . Girardi’s managing style was incredibly successful with these guys. With Boone, not so much. Girardi got these kids ready way before they were expected to . Boone has underperformed since he got here . 

6 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Right but you said they put the ball in play more which isn’t true haha

They only have a better BA / OPS / SLG - with more total hits / bases / doubles / triples (the same amount of home runs) - plus they outscored considerably  - and they do all this by NOT putting the ball in play more than us. That's a neat trick....but now I've got it.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

They only have a better BA / OPS / SLG - with more total hits / bases / doubles / triples (the same amount of home runs) - plus they outscored considerably  - and they do all this by NOT putting the ball in play more than us. That's a neat trick....but now I've got it.

Hits and balls in play aren’t the same thing.

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Idk how you got that from my post . This isn’t an anti analytics . Girardi’s managing style was incredibly successful with these guys. With Boone, not so much. Girardi got these kids ready way before they were expected to . Boone has underperformed since he got here . 

You said the worst thing they did was let Girardi go.

Girardi missed the playoffs multiple years, there were rumblings he was losing the locker room, and Boone has won 100, 103, and 92 games. 

All I’m saying is until Cashman goes it doesn’t matter who the manager is. The position is completely irrelevant. It’s the Brian Cashman show until he leaves.

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

Hits and balls in play aren’t the same thing.

Whatever. They did better than us in the stats that matter. Simply making contact doesnt win games. They not only made contact...they did it often enough to lead us in actual hits, runs, etc.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Amen. Nasty Nate having such a good night that he forces the announcers to talk about something other than the Yankees. 

People love to doubt and hate the Sox

I will admit, I was pretty pessimisitc about the Sox going into this considering how much they slowed down down the stretch.

This series against Tampa is gonna be rough.

42 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

You said the worst thing they did was let Girardi go.

Girardi missed the playoffs multiple years, there were rumblings he was losing the locker room, and Boone has won 100, 103, and 92 games. 

All I’m saying is until Cashman goes it doesn’t matter who the manager is. The position is completely irrelevant. It’s the Brian Cashman show until he leaves.

Please stop the nonsense . You really want to compare the teams Girardi had to manage and the teams Boone was given? Please . There’s still these fans who want to continue to double down on what The Yanks have been doing and it doesn’t work. It does not work.