Week 5 GDT: Denver Broncos (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (1-3)

Broncofan

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Is this actually a thing? Fans actually think this team can be a playoff contender in AFC? 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

BP, if nothing else, I enjoy when both our teams have winning records so we can get back to the glory days of the rivalry 😁

I don't think realistic fans think this team is a *contender,* but I do think it's feasible that we're fighting for a WC spot. In part because of the weaker schedule, in part because of the defense.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Comes down to coaching and QB and the Broncos have neither. I can see 6 more wins on your schedule. 

Similar to the Raiders. Hot start, but fas were fooling themselves thinking their Oline would not eventually become a problem.

I feel the same way about both teams. They are good enough things stay the same. But not good enough to compete in December. 

FWIW, there are 2 other reasons why playoffs are a consideration this year:

1.   There are now 3 WC's in each conference.    That extra WC team is huge in terms of expanding who can make it.  In some years a 9-8 team will make it.

2.  With PIT/DET/CIN & the 3 other NFCE teams still to come and the wackiness that comes with 6 intradivisional games, at 3-1 9-10 W's seems very possible.   We could roll snake eyes and get 6W's, but the most likely outcome I had us preseason was 8-9 W's with just league-average QB play.   Random variation alone can get us to a 10-7 record if ppl see 6 more wins on the schedule.  Teddy isn't a franchise solution, but that's about where he lands if he's playing at his 70th percentile projection.

3.  Teams can be playoff contenders and have zero shot of going far - last year's Chicago Bears is the classic example.   So you can be realistic that your team has no realistic SB shot and yet still make the playoffs.  

Again, there's a difference between being a playoff contender and being a legitimate contender - a team that can go deep in the playoffs, and have a legit chance of winning each game, even against the best teams in the league.  We're not that team, not with our QB situation as it is.  We're not far away from it if we had a legit QB, though.     But being a contender for playoffs, the bar is a lot lower now with 7 teams getting in.   It also presents a huge mirage in terms of hope for fans IMO - struggling to get in, only to get rolled in week 1-2, IMO, is a worse purgatory than to rebuild for 1-2 years, but get that sustainable core.    That's where I see our team without a franchise-level QB.  Having said that, the window to find that QB is now, with the team we've built.   But for 2021, with Teddy as our best hope - the playoffs are still open given the extra WC.   But there's a massive difference between us and LAC/KC (much like how LV belongs in our "pretender" group, less for Carr <although he's not elite> and more for the holes in the roster at key areas <OL & secondary>).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Comes down to coaching and QB and the Broncos have neither. I can see 6 more wins on your schedule. 

Similar to the Raiders. Hot start, but fas were fooling themselves thinking their Oline would not eventually become a problem.

I feel the same way about both teams. They are good enough things stay the same. But not good enough to compete in December. 

The Broncos and Raiders are probably the best of the bad teams

To double back on what Allbright referenced - if Teddy gets a full practice in on Friday, then he can get cleared on Saturday by the independent neurologist, and make the trip to Pittsburgh.   Look for tomorrow's practice report to give us the heads up.  

Edited by Broncofan

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Is this actually a thing? Fans actually think this team can be a playoff contender in AFC? 

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, there are 2 other reasons why playoffs are a consideration this year:

1.   There are now 3 WC's in each conference.    That extra WC team is huge in terms of expanding who can make it.  In some years a 9-8 team will make it.

2.  With PIT/DET/CIN & the 3 other NFCE teams still to come and the wackiness that comes with 6 intradivisional games, at 3-1 9-10 W's seems very possible.   We could roll snake eyes and get 6W's, but the most likely outcome I had us preseason was 8-9 W's with just league-average QB play.   Random variation alone can get us to a 10-7 record if ppl see 6 more wins on the schedule.  Teddy isn't a franchise solution, but that's about where he lands if he's playing at his 70th percentile projection.

3.  Teams can be playoff contenders and have zero shot of going far - last year's Chicago Bears is the classic example.   So you can be realistic that your team has no realistic SB shot and yet still make the playoffs.  

Again, there's a difference between being a playoff contender and being a legitimate contender - a team that can go deep in the playoffs, and have a legit chance of winning each game, even against the best teams in the league.  We're not that team, not with our QB situation as it is.  We're not far away from it if we had a legit QB, though.     But being a contender for playoffs, the bar is a lot lower now with 7 teams getting in.   It also presents a huge mirage in terms of hope for fans IMO - struggling to get in, only to get rolled in week 1-2, IMO, is a worse purgatory than to rebuild for 1-2 years, but get that sustainable core.    That's where I see our team without a franchise-level QB.  Having said that, the window to find that QB is now, with the team we've built.   But for 2021, with Teddy as our best hope - the playoffs are still open given the extra WC.   But there's a massive difference between us and LAC/KC (much like how LV belongs in our "pretender" group, less for Carr <although he's not elite> and more for the holes in the roster at key areas <OL & secondary>).

By playoff contender, @big_palooka, I mean we can contend to MAKE the playoffs. Not to go all the way.

With our elite defense and Teddy B playing decently I don’t see why we can’t make the playoffs, ESPECIALLY given there are 3 wildcards now. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To double back on what Allbright referenced - if Teddy gets a full practice in on Friday, then he can get cleared on Saturday by the independent neurologist, and make the trip to Pittsburgh.   Look for tomorrow's practice report to give us the heads up.  

This seems like a bad idea to me. As someone who’s had several concussions, in my experience it’s rare for one of those to truly heal in a week. Like, there’s a big difference between being ok to throw/run vs being ok to start taking shots from defensive linemen. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

This seems like a bad idea to me. As someone who’s had several concussions, in my experience it’s rare for one of those to truly heal in a week. Like, there’s a big difference between being ok to throw/run vs being ok to start taking shots from defensive linemen. 

It depends on if it’s their first or more.  The first can get cleared this quickly.  That’s often seen.  If it’s a repeat though all bets are off.  And if he’s not truly 100 percent the day after full practice then they should shut it down. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It depends on if it’s their first or more.  The first can get cleared this quickly.  That’s often seen.  If it’s a repeat though all bets are off.  And if he’s not truly 100 percent the day after full practice then they should shut it down. 

For sure. I wish I had stopped at one lol. It runs in my mind that he suffered one back when he was in Minnesota. It was like either his rookie year or maybe the next? I might be remembering it wrong though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

For sure. I wish I had stopped at one lol. It runs in my mind that he suffered one back when he was in Minnesota. It was like either his rookie year or maybe the next? I might be remembering it wrong though. 

Back in the day if you could tell the difference between 3 and 4 fingers you were good to go. We've come a long way since. It's a very good thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There surely can't be a team with a tougher schedule from after the Steelers game onwards than us. Absolutely brutal. Ah well, a good litmus test at least.

So bet it. I prefer to be run through a gauntlet that makes guys have to step up and the staff have to preform well than being handed a WC spot off a weak schedule. 

If we dont preform well, it can lead to more positive long term changes than the comfort and content that a easy WC spot can lend. IE: New coaching staff if we cant keep our head above water. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There surely can't be a team with a tougher schedule from after the Steelers game onwards than us. Absolutely brutal. Ah well, a good litmus test at least.

This PIT matchup oddly feels like a make or break game for this season - which sounds reactionary - but with all 6 division games  + DAL/CLE/CIN remaining a loss to PIT makes it a tough road to 10-7. 

Obviously the preference is that we show the ability to compete with the AFC’s middle tier but, if we don’t, I would much rather know now than to continue enabling the org’s naive optimism.  Let’s either (a) prove to be competitive against stiff competition or (b) face reality and have a cathartic reassessment of 3 of the 4 critical roles (Owner, HC, & QB) - the only scenario I’m unhappy with is that we get neither.

• Like 1