Week 5 GDT: Denver Broncos (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (1-3)

Broncofan

Looking like Paton needs to start looking for Fangio's successor, this won't end with a playoff team IMO. Fool's Gold regardless of the injuries. 

And Von started off fast, but didn't get a single sack against one of the worst Olines in the NFL against a statue of a QB.......MIA

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I mean, Teddy had a ton of room to run there…

He’s also a week removed from a concussion and shouldn’t IMO have been playing. I don’t fault him for not running there and risking his season/career. 

EDIT: a better game plan and better execution and we wouldn’t have had to rally the way we did. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

Well remember when we said 3-0 had to happen, and we still wouldn't know who we were before even then, until the next 3-4 games after?   Well, the news ain't good.

A few thoughts:

1.   The Steelers run success - it should be recognized that PIT changed to a power run scheme about 2 games ago.  It hasn't really showed up because the Steelers haven't been playing ahead.  It certainly showed up today.   Don't get me wrong - they're a bad OL unit in pass pro.  Absolutely terrible.   But the run success they had reflects the bigger issue we have in that our DL isn't great against power.    

2.  The Steelers pass game success - this a much bigger problem in terms of who we're supposed to be.   Kyle Fuller has had a brutal 2021.    It's good he's only signed for 1 year, he's going to be one and done.   And some of the scheme plays are head scratchers, to say the least.   Great hustle play by Von - but what's he doing in coverage. 

3.  Lack of OL cohesion - I'm not going to single anyone out - once again, they all get demerits.  Honestly, it's pretty discouraging as this had clear signs of progress.  I can accept the PIT D confusing Teddy with their schemes - but our OL shouldn't get manhandled by the D this much.  This week or last.    That's troubling.

4.  Lack of spark on O - our only guy who showed up to play to begin the game was Javonte Williams (and yes that was a brutal penalty, but it's black and white - clock running, can't spike the ball.  He'll learn, in college the clock stops, so it's OK - but not here).   And frankly, we're seeing exactly why Teddy B was never considered a franchise level QB.   He's a caretaker, and a good one at that - but he's not a guy you can have there and have the team go far in January - which is all that matters in the end long-term.    And yes, he doesn't have all his weapons - but that's part of the point.  True top 10 QB's can make O's work even when they lack 1-2 key weapons, to at least be functional.   We've seen what has happened so far (and before ppl point to the 4Q - game context matters so much - D's are willing to give up yards for time).     

5.  Lack of explosion - not having Jeudy and Hamler really showed out today.  Sutton played his heart out, but it was also partly because PIT let up and played prevent in the late 3Q / 4Q up 18.     Until Jeudy's back, and unless someone like Cleveland can add a legitimate deep threat, we've got problems.  I will give a nod to Kendall Hinton for playing as well as he could - so glad to see him score, that was deserved from last year.   

6.  Lack of design - how do you have 0 targets for Fant by halftime.   How do you not emphasize Patrick / Sutton in the 1H.   That's ALL on OC Shurmur.

7.   Lack of preparation - this above all else should bother everyone.  This was a must win game, and man, did we come out FLAT to start the entire 1H.   Frankly, if it was for 2 great plays on D (Malik Reed does get props for finally winning 1 on 1 and getting Big Ben to cough it up; and then the D stand for a short field that led to the other FG) - we would have been down 17-0 at halftime, not 17-6 (and ugh at only getting 3 pts each time from those 2 golden opps).   But the sad part - we never felt like we were in the game until PIT let us backdoor a comeback.   THAT is embarrassing - and it's entirely on the coaching staff.

The good news is that our best young players are still playing well (Bolles is struggling, but I'm not going to single him out when everyone else is playing poorly too on that unit).   But our improved trench and CB play we expected to have wasn't there.   And sadly while Teddy B isn't our biggest problem - he's not the long-term solution, either.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The ability to come back and make it that interesting late says a lot. About everyone. I won’t hold that pick against Teddy in any way and neither should anyone.  

After the atrocious first half it's a bit amazing the outcome of the game hinged on the last play. 

It’s just like this team is poorly coached, poorly led, has a middling QB (and an even worse backup), the “talent” is overrated, the off-season additions are mediocre at best, it doesn’t play well in the morning in the eastern time zone, is riddled with injuries and has a boot-licking media that does everything it can to convince the fanbase that the powers that be have turned a pile of chicken s*** into chicken salad. 

Too bad none of the members around here pointed out these problems before today. If only someone could have made an honest assessment of the team. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s just like this team is poorly coached, poorly led, has a middling QB (and an even worse backup), the “talent” is overrated, the off-season additions are mediocre at best, it doesn’t play well in the morning in the eastern time zone, is riddled with injuries and has a boot-licking media that does everything it can to convince the fanbase that the powers that be have turned a pile of chicken s*** into chicken salad. 

Too bad none of the members around here pointed out these problems before today. If only someone could have made an honest assessment of the team. 

I don’t know why Mike Munchak is not getting more criticism. That was supposed to be the big coup of the Fangio hire, bringing in a HOF caliber coach who could rebuild the OL which had plagued the team for years. They are underperforming again. With the subpar QB outlook and being thin at receiver, this offense really needed a stable OL. Didn’t need to be amazing, just solid. I think that was a reasonable expectation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t know why Mike Munchak is not getting more criticism. That was supposed to be the big coup of the Fangio hire, bringing in a HOF caliber coach who could rebuild the OL which had plagued the team for years. They are underperforming again. With the subpar QB outlook and being thin at receiver, this offense really needed a stable OL. Didn’t need to be amazing, just solid. I think that was a reasonable expectation. 

Agreed. Mike Munchak, along with Teddy B, Noah Fant, Dalton Risner and George Paton all seem to immune from criticism. All of them deserve a lot of blame for where we are now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Agreed. Mike Munchak, along with Teddy B, Noah Fant, Dalton Risner and George Paton all seem to immune from criticism. All of them deserve a lot of blame for where we are now. 

With Fant it's clear he's been playing hurt.   He actually blocked a lot better today, but they just literally didn't target him until the last 20 mins of the game.   

Paton is in year 1.   The one Q is always going to be passing on QB.   But honestly that's it.    Of course it's the most important Q to answer -  but the reality is he was given the job with the condition it came with Fangio, and with that came a win now philosophy that frankly was misguided IMO re: QBOTF.  But it is what it is.

Teddy isn't immune to criticism - but anyone who thought he was the long-term answer was delusional.  NOTHING in his past career suggested otherwise.   So it's more a matter of realizing this is who he is.  

Munchak's work should be getting better results.  No doubt.  But the OL showed enough signs of progress last year, I'm willing to be patient.    But it doesn't mean his work with the OL has done anything but underperform vs. decent teams so far this year.

Edited by Broncofan

I thought the defense looked slow today. Darby will help at one of those outside spots, Fuller’s foot speed is being targeted and it’s not looking good. Today it really felt like we were missing a couple athletes who could cover space and disrupt the game. Strnad was really bad today and he hasn’t looked like more than a replacement level guy to me. I wonder if they put Kiser or Williamson in soon.