Cowboys cut LB Jaylon Smith

.Buzz

I know tackles can be an overrated stat. But he had 155 tackles last year. How is he “washed” or bad? I get he’s out of position at times but there’s a lot of guys who are out of position who don’t make 155 tackles. He’s gotta be good in some system with the right coaching. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I know tackles can be an overrated stat. But he had 155 tackles last year. How is he “washed” or bad? I get he’s out of position at times but there’s a lot of guys who are out of position who don’t make 155 tackles. He’s gotta be good in some system with the right coaching. 

I think the biggest issue for him is that he just doesn't really fit well in DQ's defensive scheme. Also doesn't help that the team has spent 1st round picks on two other LB's fairly recently, drafted another in the early 3rd round, and signed Neal who was a former 1st round pick. Over the last 3 seasons he played over 92% of the Cowboys defensive snaps but that number has dropped to 56% this season. DQ's scheme typically only has 2 LB's on the field at a time and LVE offers more as a tackler/blitzer, Micah was just their first round pick, and Neal is kind of that modern day hybrid LB. 

Just interesting to see the team wait so long to make a move with him. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree completely, go chat with Cowboy fans on their board about him being a solid player and they absolutely lose their **** over it, they hate the guy.  Would not be shocked if he goes to another system and does just fine again.

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the biggest issue for him is that he just doesn't really fit well in DQ's defensive scheme. Also doesn't help that the team has spent 1st round picks on two other LB's fairly recently, drafted another in the early 3rd round, and signed Neal who was a former 1st round pick. Over the last 3 seasons he played over 92% of the Cowboys defensive snaps but that number has dropped to 56% this season. DQ's scheme typically only has 2 LB's on the field at a time and LVE offers more as a tackler/blitzer, Micah was just their first round pick, and Neal is kind of that modern day hybrid LB. 

Just interesting to see the team wait so long to make a move with him. 

True, and yeah Neal is more the modern day LB but he also gets hurt so if he gets hurt then what do they do?  Just odd move for a team going at a Super Bowl, not sure cutting Smith makes them better but yeah saves them money, guess in that system they did not like him.  And like you said if they wanted to save money why did they not cut him before the season even started?  Also curious what happens when Parsons plays DE for them which he is now because of the injuries they have, how does that work but I guess they could play Cox who has talent and is good in coverage.  But yeah maybe they just go with two LBs like you said in Vander Esch and Neal then play Kearse who has done awesome for them in that system this year as the nickel/safety, playing arguably the best he has in his career.  

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I can't stress how bad Smith's instincts and read-react ability is.  The raw tools are there, just he literally is out of position, or makes the wrong read, and gets washed out so easily.  And that's before we talk about how he gets beat in coverage.

He's literally the poster child for Combine / workout darling - and scrub-level results.   Maybe someone can figure out how to leverage the tools, but it's not like he's this green raw, rookie or 2nd or 3rd year guy.      I'm sure someone will take a shot - just go in with VERY low expectations.  If it's for the vet minimum, I get the appeal, but beware the skills aren't anywhere close to the tools.

I have no idea if this is correct, but why did the Cowboys give him a new deal with $36m guaranteed 2 years ago if he's never produced on the field?

11 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I have no idea if this is correct, but why did the Cowboys give him a new deal with $36m guaranteed 2 years ago if he's never produced on the field?

Look up Dallas’ history when a homegrown player is about to leave - Jerry Jones almost always caves in.   
He lets emotion rule him to a fault.  Why he blinked with the Elliott extension and with Smith.   Keep in mind that Smith was a pick Jones was proud of - the gamble that he would actually be able to play.   Jones has a hard time letting go of “his guys”.  

Smith’s production was a result of being one of the core players on a suspect LB corps.   His extension was a mistake from day 1.  The FO saw that which is why they spent 2 picks to address the issue (Cox was a guy I’d have loved for DEN to take over Browning). 

Edited by Broncofan

12 hours ago, Turnobili said:

this thread is objectively better because of capitalizations in the thread title

Technically, @.Buzz beat you to the punch, but I can merge 'em so nobody feels left out.

That's right - everyone gets a trophy today. 😅

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Might have something to do with the fact that LVE and Sean Lee were injured a lot and the defense was on the field a ton.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He had his best seasons under Rod Marinelli, come to Vegas, #9 is ready.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the biggest issue for him is that he just doesn't really fit well in DQ's defensive scheme.

Quinn and Bradley run the same scheme. But you want a LB in Vegas who doesn't fit the scheme, do I have this correct? 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How much help does Tom Brady need?

lol

How much of people thinking Jaylon Smith is good is because he has a cool name, a la Jalen Ramsey or Jaylen Brown in the NBA? He might have been the worst full time starter in the NFL in 2020

Edited by matt79511

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He did produce, in 2018. He also came to the Cowboys for a new deal and offered us a hometown discount because we hired his brother. He is a really good dude. 

That said, being nice doesnt make you good at football. He never lived up to his pay.