Cowboys cut LB Jaylon Smith

.Buzz

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The drafting of Zeke and Jaylon over Ramsey and Henry was such a huge blunder. And this really isnt revisionist history, as many many many fans wanted us to go Ramsey/Henry. 

Then we compounded that mistake by giving them both contracts. smh

I remember that draft well.   A lot of platformed draft people were not high on Henry.   Most common phrase used was "he needs a runway."

A lot of other people said Ramsey was better suited for safety.  Which may actually be true, but he is such a stud he can play corner really well too.

Either way IMO ball hawking safety or corner are both more valuable than RB because of position scarcity and so much of RB play being based on OL talent.

The Zeke pick got a lot of accolades from draft talking heads and podcasts including Dallas podcasts.

The Jaylon pick was not liked so much.

After year one Zeke was looking like a great pick and Henry not so much.  A lot of back slapping was going on.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I remember that draft well.   A lot of platformed draft people were not high on Henry.   Most common phrase used was "he needs a runway."

A lot of other people said Ramsey was better suited for safety.  Which may actually be true, but he is such a stud he can play corner really well too.

Either way IMO ball hawking safety or corner are both more valuable than RB because of position scarcity and so much of RB play being based on OL talent.

The Zeke pick got a lot of accolades from draft talking heads and podcasts including Dallas podcasts.

The Jaylon pick was not liked so much.

After year one Zeke was looking like a great pick and Henry not so much.  A lot of back slapping was going on.  

All true. And maybe when I said a "huge blunder" that was an exaggeration, as both Smith and Elliot became All Pro's with Dallas. So they accomplished more than 98% of other people in the draft. There was 100% back patting. 

Still - doesnt change the fact that with hindsight, we got it wrong. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

All true. And maybe when I said a "huge blunder" that was an exaggeration, as both Smith and Elliot have become All Pro's with Dallas. So they accomplished more than 98% of other people drafting. So there was 100% back patting. 

Still - doesnt change the fact that with hindsight, we got it wrong. 

They had a very good draft.  Could have been better.   That is always true.   When a 4th round QB works out there is a bit of luck involved.

I don't think the draft decisions were bad, not optimal, but still okay.  But like you said the resigning of those two players was the non-hindsight mistake.   

But Cowboys never concern themselves that much with salaries so it doesn't hurt that much.  

Simply no need to have that many LBs on team.   I think everyone knew that from draft on.   The conversations about a new defense where they all play at same time was a little silly.

Edited by dll2000
typo
  • Like 1

Posted this in the Skins forum, probably useful here as well:

If I was a d-coordinator in the NFL, I would sign Jaylon for the following roles:

1. DPR (designated pass rusher). He is a really solid blitzer as he doesnt have to think about anything. He doesnt have a ton of sacks but he does get to the backfield adequately. Not a superstar, but again, were talking for cheap $$.

2. Sam LB. Sams arent used very much and are generally the least important spot on a defense. So even if he sucks, he wont mess you up too bad. 

3. Depth. Jaylon can play every single LB spot from an experience stand point. We moved him everywhere to try to make it work.

4. Locker room guy/off the field. Jaylon is a spiritual and positive person. He brings good energy, attitude and leadership with him.

• Like 2

Jaylon is a solid dude. I respect him for being able to come back from that severe injury and play good football. That said, he was not great in the past 2 years. He has flashes but 90% he was playing poorly. And with their new additions who are playing faster and better --- he was out. He slow and too expensive. 

Jaylon will go to another team and will be fine.

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

His 2022 salary is guaranteed against injury. It appears we shopped him and no one bought. I wont be shocked if he is resigned for cheap if no one else wants him. 

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

See below

If he was injured we would be on the hook for his salary this year ($7m) and next year ($9m).

I don't think that's how it typically works. If a player is on the roster week-1 their salary for that season typically becomes guaranteed. They would have to have released him prior to week 1 to avoid it at this point, if I'm not mistaken. Unless there's some alternative language in his contract that makes that not-applicable.

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

I don't think that's how it typically works. If a player is on the roster week-1 their salary for that season typically becomes guaranteed. They would have to have released him prior to week 1 to avoid it at this point, if I'm not mistaken. Unless there's some alternative language in his contract that makes that not-applicable.

he had an injury clause in his contract that guarantee $.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

lol

How much of people thinking Jaylon Smith is good is because he has a cool name, a la Jalen Ramsey or Jaylen Brown in the NBA? He might have been the worst full time starter in the NFL in 2020

I'm assuming your name is also Jaylen, Jaylon or some abbreviated form of spelling? 👌 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

he had an injury clause in his contract that guarantee $.

I meant the other side of it, that you can escape the remainder of this year because he was released absent an injury designation. Typically the non-gauranteed salary for a given year becomes guaranteed when a player is on the roster week one to begin the season. 

Quick explainer I was able to locate:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

Tons of veteran players were cut before the start of the season, and while different clubs had different reasons for shuffling their rosters, the looming vested veteran guarantee may have played a part in many of those moves. Vested veterans – players with at least four years of NFL experience – had their 2018 base salary guaranteed for the year by being on an NFL team’s roster for the first game of the season.

That means that if a team decided after Week 1 to part ways with a veteran player with a 2018 base salary of $1MM, the team would still be on the hook for that full $1MM, which would count against the cap. A veteran who has received this form of termination pay in the past wouldn’t be eligible to receive it again, but otherwise the player can put in a claim for his full salary and receive it. Veterans not a Week 1 roster don’t benefit from that provision, however.

15 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Have to feel like the Ravens will have some interest. Our young LBs haven’t stepped up to the degree that we would like and we could use a veteran… assuming we could afford him.

Would hope it's an offset language situation where he will basically play out the remainder of the year at minimum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

I meant the other side of it, that you can escape the remainder of this year because he was released absent an injury designation. Typically the non-gauranteed salary for a given year becomes guaranteed when a player is on the roster week one to begin the season. 

Quick explainer I was able to locate:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

I think the confusion here is that I meant if he is injured this year, his salary next year becomes guaranteed. The only way we recoup any salary cap this year is if he signs elsewhere - pending offset language. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I think the confusion here is that I meant if he is injured this year, his salary next year becomes guaranteed. The only way we recoup any salary cap this year is if he signs elsewhere - pending offset language. 

Ok, got it. Makes sense.

• Like 1

Interesting comments coming out from Cowboys media, including Jane Slater. It seems that Jaylon has had some conflicts with coaching. They speak highly of him. Not attacking his character or anything, but making it clear that maybe there was tension there and it gave the team the added push to make the move now.