Game #5 - Sun, Oct 10 vs Buffalo

onejayhawk

20 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m all in on Chris Jones needs to come back at DT. We’re desperately missing his ability to collapse the pocket. 

It still doesn’t fix the other issues.   I didn’t want to be right I just thought all theses preseason/training camp articles were severely overrating this roster.     

it’s far from over,  and I’m not saying Spags is perfect.. but if your front 4 isn’t generating any sort of pressure and you’re paying them what we are,   It’s the main problem.   I think me and you are the only ones who have even been half way critical of Veach.   Everything is too cute from the top, to the play on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

Something major needs to happen. There is just so much wrong with this team, and staying the course just isn't going to cut it.

I feel strongly that everyone just kinda thinks Pat is gonna bail everyone out all the time and they're in a comfort zone with it. Now that Pat isn't playing up to his usual standards it's coming apart.

Just now, Chiefs_5627 said:

I feel strongly that everyone just kinda thinks Pat is gonna bail everyone out all the time and they're in a comfort zone with it. Now that Pat isn't playing up to his usual standards it's coming apart.

Honestly don't even know where to start with how bad the defense is playing. Obviously the turnovers are killing the team, but how can anyone have any confidence in the defense.

Man, I thought Bob Sutton days were rough. But it just never changes. What in the actual **** is going on, how can they have such good players and just play so poorly.

1 minute ago, Habbsawce said:

Man, I thought Bob Sutton days were rough. But it just never changes. What in the actual **** is going on, and  how can they have such good players and just play so poorly.

The defense is definitely lacking on skill.   Talent level is an issue,    The coaching is probably an issue also,   But I wouldn’t sit here and say we have a ton of good players on defense.   At least not many that are so good it cancels out a weak are. 

7 hours ago, RedGold said:

I think me and you are the only ones who have even been half way critical of Veach.   Everything is too cute from the top, to the play on the field.

Veach has had success with the team Dorsey built. His drafting and terrible contracts have set us back. I thought we’d have one final year of dominance, but apparently not. 

I do believe we get to double digit wins this year but the defense is going to hold us back from either making or winning in the post season. 

My level of concern has gone from 0 to 5%.

We won't be playing in torrential downpour against top 3 AFC teams every week. The defense is trash and we need to address it, but teams generally regress towards the mean over the course of the season. We will be competitive in every game and we still have an excellent chance of winning the super bowl. We've had a lot of fluky turnovers this year (whereas in previous years we were on the lucky side) and have played a tough schedule. The only thing giving me 5% concern is the lack of improvement on D over 5 games, but BUF has also been on fire lately offensively, so again - my concern is low overall. 

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Veach has had success with the team Dorsey built. His drafting and terrible contracts have set us back. I thought we’d have one final year of dominance, but apparently not. 

I do believe we get to double digit wins this year but the defense is going to hold us back from either making or winning in the post season. 

Can anybody name a good defensive starter that Veach has drafted? Besides Parker(who has seemingly regressed) and a partial year of Thornhil? 

How about Offense? I know he had a hand in Mahomes, but besides Smith/Humphrey  I dont think hes drafted any good offensive starters either 

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Can anybody name a good defensive starter that Veach has drafted? Besides Parker(who has seemingly regressed) and a partial year of Thornhil? 

How about Offense? I know he had a hand in Mahomes, but besides Smith/Humphrey  I dont think hes drafted any good offensive starters either 

Winning helps overlook flaws.  I don’t think Veach is bad,  but he’s certainly overrated by the fan base.        I don’t make as much fun of Spags or the defense… cuz we really haven’t put much emphasis on additions on that side of the ball.    Year after year we are slowly turning into the Manning Colts.  

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Bolton, Gay, Sneed, Danna, Nnadi, Fenton, and Thornhill have all been good picks on the defense. No stars there, save for potentially Sneed with time, but those are all guys that deserve substantial snaps at an NFL level. Mathieu, Ward, Wharton, and a few guys who have left by now (Wilson, Pennel) have been good free agent gets or trades or UDFAs. Admittedly, Nnadi, Sneed, and Wharton have not looked as good this year, but I don't think 5 games overrides a season or more of good play from each.

The list is shorter on offense, but there's less opportunity there when you really have little reason to invest a high pick in about half the positions on O most of the offseasons he's been here. No need to invest heavy in QB, TE, OT, or WR almost every year of Veach's tenure. We've spent 4 picks in the top 3 rounds on O in the year's Veach has been here, and I'd say payoff has been about 50/50. CEH and Hardman have been okay. Humphrey looks like a home run. Niang is TBD, but so-so thus far.

We've missed on a few high investment free agent/trade targets. Clark and Hitch are a big part of the problem right now with the roster as a whole. Reed looks to be another, albeit cheaper, of these. I'm not sold on Brown so far either. This does concern me, as a trend. But when I see people complaining about the draft results of the last 3 years (not 2018, 2018 was crap, but with a ton of asterisks on it) it just tells me people don't actually understand what they can expect from an NFL draft class. You will not get stars every year. Most draft picks, in basically ever round of every year, will suck. The fact that we've gotten multiple plus players each year means we're still drafting quite well. Token PFF disclaimer, but for reference beyond just my word:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-2019-nfl-draft-classes

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-productive-2020-rookie-draft-classes

4th overall in 2019 and 2020. And I would argue this class already looks like the best we've had under Veach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

This continues to be a lie. 5 players remain from Dorsey's drafts. One is LDT. One is Demarcus Robinson. Jones, Hill, and Kelce are what remain of the "team Dorsey built." 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This continues to be a lie. 5 players remain from Dorsey's drafts. One is LDT. One is Demarcus Robinson. Jones, Hill, and Kelce are what remain of the "team Dorsey built." 

And here we are... I was referring to our past success and championship caliber teams. I should have been more clear.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

He already said it, but a bunch of important players from the first SB team are now gone.

J

10 hours ago, Soggust said:

My level of concern has gone from 0 to 5%.

We won't be playing in torrential downpour against top 3 AFC teams every week. The defense is trash and we need to address it, but teams generally regress towards the mean over the course of the season. We will be competitive in every game and we still have an excellent chance of winning the super bowl. We've had a lot of fluky turnovers this year (whereas in previous years we were on the lucky side) and have played a tough schedule. The only thing giving me 5% concern is the lack of improvement on D over 5 games, but BUF has also been on fire lately offensively, so again - my concern is low overall. 

We play the toughest schedule in football over the remainder of the season…