Our Nightmare is Over: Fields is the guy

beardown3231

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Not sure how to interpret that as anything other than the players know Nagy sucks as a play caller. Suprised he said it, but if you're George McCaskey, what asset do you value more: the nice CEO but terrible offensive mind coach, or the exciting young QB who could be your guy for a decade or more?

There's no doubt at all how that question would be answered.  Fields IS the future on this football team and Nagy knows that too.

15 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'd rather not find out.

During the next four games we should get a pretty good picture of how this new arrangement is gonna work out.  One of the knocks against Lazor's success with Mitch last season was the caliber of the competition played.  That won't be the case right now.  These are four tough games coming up with a wrap up game with Pitt right before bye week.

If Lazor is creating game plans and calling plays for Fields while Nagy is settling in to both advise on offense and coach his entire team I want to see what the results are over this 4-5 game period.  I expect to see some ups and downs from Fields but is the offense progressing under those two as opposed to how stagnant it was under Nagy.  That the question we need to have answered.

Well they are playing good teams, playing a rookie QB who just started getting practice snaps and missing their best offensive player (Montgomery).

I won't judge Lazor too harshly given those circumstances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well they are playing good teams, playing a rookie QB who just started getting practice snaps and missing their best offensive player (Montgomery).

I won't judge Lazor too harshly given those circumstances.

It's a proper challenge.  Beating the Lions was much like last season with Mitch.  How they do against the better teams will tell us a lot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

SsLkoMZ.gif?noredirect

LOL. I know it is hard to tell sometimes with me.  But actually I am serious.  If Nagy was OC under Reid or Belichick or a good HC and not having responsibility of running team he may be a good OC.  He knows offensive concepts and theory quite well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

LOL. I know it is hard to tell sometimes with me.  But actually I am serious.  If Nagy was OC under Reid or Belichick or a good HC and not having responsibility of running team he may be a good OC.  He knows offensive concepts and theory quite well.

I suppose that's hard to argue against...but overall, I have the exact opposite opinion of him as a coach. I think he's a much better "big picture" coach than a "nut and bolts" guy. But of course, that statement doesn't mean I think he's a good coach, or anything...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I suppose that's hard to argue against...but overall, I have the exact opposite opinion of him as a coach. I think he's a much better "big picture" coach than a "nut and bolts" guy. But of course, that statement doesn't mean I think he's a good coach, or anything...

I think his main problem is in way he does offensive practice.  As far as I can tell he mostly runs through plays sometimes on air, sometimes against a thud defense, in season it is scout touch defense.  

Now everyone does some version of this.  What separates the wheat from chaff is what you do with it.  As far as I can tell from times I have watched in person or youtube is he does very little if anything with it on grass.  He likes to film it and, I am not there, presumably teach from the film.  I think you need to do both. 

In particular I think errors both assignment and fundamental need to be corrected on spot and in real time on the grass and you shouldn’t wait.  You have position coaches and coordinators, they can be Johnny on spot doing this.  It would take 20-30 seconds between each rep.

I think time needs to be spent on straight fundamental drills as well.  Doesn’t have to be violent or lengthy, but you have to keep those skills sharp even at highest level. 

That being said yes his game plans have often left a lot to be desired, but in many games they were quite good on paper and  they have only looked bad because execution is so poor due to assignment mistakes and fundamentals which leads me back to above.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Except his "theories and concept" haven't been very productive with this team and it's QBs.  Matt Nagy has had a bad habit of showing an unwillingness to fit his schemes to the ability of his players.  Come game day it's more about what's practical than what's theoretically possible.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, soulman said:

Except his "theories and concept" haven't been very productive with this team and it's QBs.  Matt Nagy has had a bad habit of showing an unwillingness to fit his schemes to the ability of his players.  Come game day it's more about what's practical than what's theoretically possible.

I've said it before, might as well say it again--Nagy tends to regress into something resembling a drunk teenager playing Madden

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I've said it before, might as well say it again--Nagy tends to regress into something resembling a drunk teenager playing Madden

You mean teenagers get to drink now????   Why.....that never happened when I was a teenager. 😇    🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, back then they didn't even have alcohol, right? 😉

No.....but then every once in awhile that nice Jewish boy from Nazareth would come by and turn some of our well water into wine.  😁

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2