2021 Week Five GDT Steelers vs. Broncos

Steeler Hitman

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I get what he’s trying to say there though. With a mobile QB (or at least one who sneaks) you create a true 11-on-11 situation. Without that you are effectively playing 10-on-11. 

It still doesn't change the math being in your favor to go for it. Whether Lamar or Ben can pick up 4th downs at a higher rate doesn't change that its far more beneficial in a lot of cases to go for it regardless. The payoff of a punt isn't worth the lost time and zero yardage change. 

This seems like Tomlin attributes analytics to the percentage chance you have to pick up a first down or not, and that's nowhere near the decisions that analytics are trying to help you with. 

Field position is Tomlin's go to on decision making and Field position is well regarded as a pointless measure in analytics. Responses like this make me very confident that while they have 2 analytics people on staff, they are not helping in any sense on game day decisions. 

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It still doesn't change the math being in your favor to go for it. Whether Lamar or Ben can pick up 4th downs at a higher rate doesn't change that its far more beneficial in a lot of cases to go for it regardless. The payoff of a punt isn't worth the lost time and zero yardage change. 

This seems like Tomlin attributes analytics to the percentage chance you have to pick up a first down or not, and that's nowhere near the decisions that analytics are trying to help you with. 

Field position is Tomlin's go to on decision making and Field position is well regarded as a pointless measure in analytics. Responses like this make me very confident that while they have 2 analytics people on staff, they are not helping in any sense on game day decisions. 

I’m not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out I get the logic of the mobile QB thing. 

• Like 1