2021 Week Five GDT Steelers vs. Broncos

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, August4th said:

we might miss playing Russel Wilson next week

they gotta win these next two HOME games if they want to save this season. if they start 1-4(0-3 at home) and then lose to Geno smith at home on primetime? wrap it up

Yeah the stretch before the Bye became crucial. I said in the beginning of the season they had to go 2-2 through the first quarter. Immediately open with a game they won that they shouldn't have, then laid 2 straights Eggs (I think we beat the raiders with TJ healthy, not so sure about any instance with Cinci), and then lose the other expected game. 

Now, they have to pick up a game they probably shouldn't win -- which means sweeping the Browns or the Ravens or getting to the Chargers on the Road (which is actually more of a home game). 

Especially with Wilson potentially out, I think the Steelers CAN go 3-1 over this next stretch. 3 of the games are at home, 2 in prime time. If they really want to rebound, going 4-0 would be just a huuuuuuge step if they could take down the Browns on the road -- and let's be honest....there will be some feelings headed into that game after last year, so motivation shouldn't be a factor. 

It should be noted: This is an optimists view of things. The offense would have to get out of its own way for things to improve. Im not sure I see it happening. 

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The buck has to stop somewhere. I'm a Tomlin supporter, but this doesn't exonerate him like you think it might. 

I am not trying to exonerate him. I don't disagree about the totality of "if its broke, its the HC's job to fix it", but that also doesn't exonerate the guy playing QB as the one most likely nixing all the Canada concepts because they contradict what he has wanted to do. 

I have very, very much lived in the grey here. Its not JUST Tomlin's fault and its not JUST Ben's fault. It's everyone fault. But IMO, Ben is far more a deterrent than some are willing to admit to. Hearing them talk and show all off-season that they have a new wave offense in terms of scheme and them producing those numbers -- somethings off and I think way more signs point to Ben. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I am not trying to exonerate him. I don't disagree about the totality of "if its broke, its the HC's job to fix it", but that also doesn't exonerate the guy playing QB as the one most likely nixing all the Canada concepts because they contradict what he has wanted to do. 

I have very, very much lived in the grey here. Its not JUST Tomlin's fault and its not JUST Ben's fault. It's everyone fault. But IMO, Ben is far more a deterrent than some are willing to admit to. Hearing them talk and show all off-season that they have a new wave offense in terms of scheme and them producing those numbers -- somethings off and I think way more signs point to Ben. 

And this is why I want to see Tomlin without Ben to be honest. There’s so many thing where we've heard Tomlin say things like this then it can’t happen for some reason. I want to see if when Tomlin says stuff like that and he’s got a young QB if they carry through on it. I also have a growing suspicion that the lack of checks, audibles, and no huddle isn’t the too many new players; it’s a QB who doesn’t like his options. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

And this is why I want to see Tomlin without Ben to be honest. There’s so many thing where we've heard Tomlin say things like this then it can’t happen for some reason. I want to see if when Tomlin says stuff like that and he’s got a young QB if they carry through on it.

I still struggle with understanding this. Mainly because I think Tomlin 1) has no desire/interest in taking over in the offensive room (not good) or 2) doesn’t have anything worth bringing to the table on that side of the ball (which doesn’t make me want more). 

IMO, he has been hands off on offense. When you look at the math, it doesn’t add up ever that he is driving that boat. So I’m still not sure what holding on to Tomlin specifically for the offense is good for. IMO it’s just having an offensive coordinator with more freedoms to do what they want rather than fitting to a QB. I guess Tomlin gets to pick what coordinator that is, but I don’t see influence from Tomlin on offense so I struggle with why he is an important piece to the puzzle. 

Long story short: I don’t understand or even see Tomlins offensive influence now, so it’s hard for me to commit to the offensive picture getting better with more of him. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I also have a growing suspicion that the lack of checks, audibles, and no huddle isn’t the too many new players; it’s a QB who doesn’t like his options. 

The more I watch of Ben now and see the type of offense we have been running, I am really questioning his ability to actual read defenses. I’ve pointed out a few times this year where even just basic math is kicking his butt. Talent was his biggest asset. I’ve been really disappointed by the head. I didn’t think that was going to be an issue, but I’m wondering if I have overlooked that for a long time. 

• Like 2