Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

I wish nothing but the best for Jaylon. 

He has an incredible success story. From an injury that should have ended his career before it started to never missing a game. He cares so passionately about the brand and becoming an icon. Hope he is able to continue to inspire others in his journey. 

I can think of very few players in college that dominated on defense as much as he did. Hope he continues to recover from his injuries and mental state and return to his collegiate glory.

I wouldn't have very high expectations early on. Put him in position to be successful (not coverage) and hopefully he regains some swagger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just watched him in the most recent Eagles game. 

There was a missed fit at 7:10 in the second quarter that made me physically ill. Other than that, he's looking very JAGy

He can’t diagnose plays and he’s playing on one leg. I get that this is a low risk move as far as financials go but damn having him on the field is a huge liability. 

The Cowboys would rather play a safety at LB than play Smith. 

12 hours ago, Toddfather said:

lololololo

they make a signing, and it sucks...

They trade for Cobb... He's washed...

I remember a down narrative on the Smith brothers too...

I just don't know what some of you want? Like I GET IT... Gilmore would've been amazing, and in hindsight this isn't "amazing" but we don't even know his role yet. Like with Cobb we aren't paying a lot of money for him. It's depth, a good character guy, and we still got some cash and draft capital to do more. It's not like he's supposed to be the "answer". He's another piece... I don't know if you guys have paid attention to teams winning championships lately. Yeah, they have world class studs, but they also have a lot of moving pieces. We just added another low risk, low cost piece. Props to Gute. 

There’s a lot of ‘Packer fans’ who like to cheer against The Packers. 

• Like 1

#54.  I was getting tired of these single digit numbers at hard hitting positions. He’s already made an improvement coming in. 

*at least according to the Scheffter tweet.  Hamilton will have to give it up. 

Edited by Refugee

32 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

He can’t diagnose plays and he’s playing on one leg. I get that this is a low risk move as far as financials go but damn having him on the field is a huge liability. 

I think the more telling thing is they are willing to pay him 7-9 million this year and not have him on their roster.

7 minutes ago, ACO said:

#9 is very important to Jaylon. That is why he picked 54 as his number when 9 was taken. He spent half a million to wear 9 this year. If he can have 9, he will. 

I didn’t know that, just hate seeing single digits on a LB. I know he played 9 in college but he went to the pro bowl in 54. In the end, it’s about the most superficial gripe.  If he can play, I don’t care if he wears binary numbers, or Roman numerals. 

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's not washed, but he's not the guy he was before he blew out his knee at Notre Dame.

it's not his athleticism holding him back

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just watched him in the most recent Eagles game. 

There was a missed fit at 7:10 in the second quarter that made me physically ill. Other than that, he's looking very JAGy

he doesn't know where to go on the football field.  He doesn't play with any confidence.

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

As Ty Summers or Oren Burks really done anything to suggest that they're better than Jaylon Smith?  Jaylon Smith isn't the same guy he was before his knee blew up in college, but his floor isn't any lower than Summers/Burks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

it's not his athleticism holding him back

he doesn't know where to go on the football field.  He doesn't play with any confidence.

That sounds like a change of scenery is in order.  I mean, we saw what Micah Hyde did outside of Green Bay and into Buffalo's defensive system.  I'm not saying that Green Bay is going to get an All Pro for peanuts, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say we're downgrading from Summers/Burks.  I mean, this was a player who was given a 5 year, $64M extension a few years ago.  You have to imagine that the defensive coaching staff change probably didn't sit well with him.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That sounds like a change of scenery is in order.  I mean, we saw what Micah Hyde did outside of Green Bay and into Buffalo's defensive system.  I'm not saying that Green Bay is going to get an All Pro for peanuts, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say we're downgrading from Summers/Burks.  I mean, this was a player who was given a 5 year, $64M extension a few years ago.  You have to imagine that the defensive coaching staff change probably didn't sit well with him.

comparing him to micah hyde is interesting because I think they have opposite problems. 

There was a lot of Hyde hate here for sure.  He was downright awful covering athletic TEs in man coverage, but for all the hate he was still a competent defender who was assignment sound.

Jaylon smith has been playing next to a very good LB and he looks downright awful.  He is never in the right spot getting beaten.  He is consistently in the wrong spot getting beaten because he's in the wrong spot.