Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

770k is an absolute bargain for anything Smith can provide.

I also heard all of the same negativity regarding Campbell just after his signing.   People read a negative stat from PFF or read a cautious note about a perceived flaw and suddenly it's all people see and want to comment on.    Then people start watching youtube clips with an already negative bias and it's all they see -- can't possibly see what he can provide as a recent ProBowl talent ILB.  He's absolutely going to be an upgrade over Burks and Summer and with Campbell playing so well, Barnes getting healthy and Smith suddenly in the mix, I feel really good about the ILB group as a whole for the first time in a decade.

• Like 3

A sampling of ILB PFF grades through week 4:

Devondre Campbell  82.2

Darius Leonard  72.2

Jaylon Smith  69.5

Bobby Wagner  69.1

Levonte Davis  65.2 

Deonte Jones  60.5

Eric Kendricks  60.1

Fred Warner  57.5

Devin Bush  49.6

Roquan Smith  46.9

Devin White  43.4

Smith is a competent starter at a bargain price. Whatever his faults, he's surely the most athletic ILB to set foot in GB in the modern era. He made more eye-opening physical plays in '20 than some long-tenured GB LB's made in their whole careers. Looks like a plus move by Gute. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

guys who are playing well and following the assignments don't get cut midseason.  Even from questionable organizations.

If you're expecting much more than what we've seen from oren burks, you're going to be disappointed

Injury fear factors in. They don't see him as a starter going forward and they don't want to risk paying him if he gets hurt in 2022, doesn't mean what you said isn't true but that's not the entire story as well.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

Injury fear factors in. They don't see him as a starter going forward and they don't want to risk paying him if he gets hurt in 2022, doesn't mean what you said isn't true but that's not the entire story as well.

Bingo .. the Cowboys knew the had a bad and risky contract on their hands and wanted to put bait while he was healthy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Bingo .. the Cowboys knew the had a bad and risky contract on their hands and wanted to put bait while he was healthy. 

What the cowboys did made no sense as his contract was guaranteed unless they think he's worth less than those 770K. Unless there's other reason for cutting him.

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

guys who are playing well and following the assignments don't get cut midseason.  Even from questionable organizations.

If you're expecting much more than what we've seen from oren burks, you're going to be disappointed

If he's even 10 % better than Burks/Summers its a win signing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

What the cowboys did made no sense as his contract was guaranteed

The cowboys cut him not because of his 2021 cap - its that he had earned an injury guarantee of $9 M for 2022.
Since he wasn't a big part of their plans going forward - they didn't want that liability on the books.

• Like 1

I remember watching the Bucs vs Cowboys game and all their ILBs looked beyond confused. 

I'm not saying they let go a good ILB, but between LVE, Micah Parsons, Keanu Neal and Jabril Cox. They have some good LBs. 

Micah Parson already looks special.

Neal before the injuries was a great in the box safety for the Falcons so it makes he is a good modern day ILB.

LVE is still on his rookie contract. 

A lot of people thought highly of Cox.

Jaylon is the easiest cut from a money stand point alone. 

This can be a fantastic get if we can even get him back to 70% of his Pro bowl form.

10 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

I remember watching the Bucs vs Cowboys game and all their ILBs looked beyond confused. 

I'm not saying they let go a good ILB, but between LVE, Micah Parsons, Keanu Neal and Jabril Cox. They have some good LBs. 

Micah Parson already looks special.

Neal before the injuries was a great in the box safety for the Falcons so it makes he is a good modern day ILB.

LVE is still on his rookie contract. 

A lot of people thought highly of Cox.

Jaylon is the easiest cut from a money stand point alone. 

This can be a fantastic get if we can even get him back to 70% of his Pro bowl form.

Yet they did not pick up his 5th year option. He's a free agent after this year. 

I'm absolutely stoked about Smith. There is absolutely no downside. There is no way he's as bad as Summers so it's a win because we do not need to play Summers on defense any longer. 

I think the doubters and naysayers are going to eat some crow on this one. Not saying he's Fred Warner, but he's an upgrade at least to any back up we had. He will play some situational football for us, you can count on it. The fact MLF knew him from Notre Dame is a bonus as well. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Yet they did not pick up his 5th year option. He's a free agent after this year. 

I mean Micah Parson, Cox and Neal is pretty damn good Trio IMO. Dan Quinn knows what he has in Neal.  You usually only play with 2 LBs on the field anyway. 3 capable bodies is overkill. Let alone 4.

10 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

I mean Micah Parson, Cox and Neal is pretty damn good Trio IMO. Dan Quinn knows what he has in Neal.  You usually only play with 2 LBs on the field anyway. 3 capable bodies is overkill. Let alone 4.

Neal isn't under contract next year either. Cox is a rookie who hasn't proven a thing to date. Assume either LVE or Neal is back with them next year but neither is a guarantee. Neither will be tagged so they can hit the open market. 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Neal isn't under contract next year either. Cox is a rookie who hasn't proven a thing to date. Assume either LVE or Neal is back with them next year but neither is a guarantee. Neither will be tagged so they can hit the open market. 

Packers have fielded MUCH worse to start the season. lol