Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Now can we get that newborn elk to get his sea legs in this defense and make him productive?

No you let nature take its course. You feed a baby elk with a bottle of milk a little at a time until its healthy and can stand on its own in the wild. It takes time and patience and the love of a mom elk. Only then will it successfully transform into a battle elk.

They need to get him practicing with the pass rushers, Smith still has rare athletic ability. He was freaking terrible out there Sunday, he's not much different than Burks as an ILB. All athletic gifts, no idea how to diagnose a play. Looks completely awkward out there. Can see why Dallas cut him. Think there's something there if you  play him aggressively, but he's not a read and chase LB, MUCH better off with Barnes if that's what you want.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Look I'm not gonna say he's necessarily wrong here, but a guy in his first snaps with the team he just joined is gonna have some ugly plays, especially when it's a guy who can't read it at all like Jaylon.  Not even sure either of these is all that ugly either, if I'm being honest.  Play 1 he fills his gap and forces the running back to cut it back; his godawful form taking on the blocker is problematic, but frankly way down my list of concerns in today's NFL.  Play 2 he reads the counter coming back, but just plays it terribly, seemingly to show solidarity with everyone else on the defensive left.  Let me be clear that I dislike ILB that go around blocks rather than taking them on and filling the gap, but this is a full team effort failure.  Lowry gets taken all the way to Hogwarts by the LT and Garvin gets "cut blocked" in the sense that he's made the decision to try to end the life of the FB since he's getting taken out of the play anyway, and the resulting hole is a mile wide.  There's no chance Smith is running that down from behind, but even if he plays this with great technique and stones Kmet in the hole this is going to the safety.  I mean the RB cuts off of Lowry at the right hash, and the only other defender besides Smith around is Amos playing five yards outside the left hash; that might possibly be too much ground for a single ILB with a blocker in front of him to hold.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cannondale said:

A context-less critique.

On play 1, Smith filled the appropriate gap and adequately took on the OG at the point. He and Clark encouraged the RB to chose a different gap. Sure he got pushed back and the RB might've had success had he run at him, but it's not some striking negative play. 

On play 2, his "jitteryness" is a reaction to WR Byrd coming across the formation as a potential ball carrier. Smith responds by easily moving across the TE's face and was clean enough to make a tackle. If Lowry hadn't gotten walked across the formation by Peters, leaving a massive hole, Smith would've had an opportunity to make a play. Lowry and Campbell get the minus grades there.

If there was anything to criticize, it was his handful of ineffective blitzes. He's not a pass rusher. The rest of his bag was filled with a handful of decent zone drops and a handful of adequate run fills.    

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

In the Bears game, Smith played 17 snaps, Burks played 19.  If we run these two out like they are one guy and they at least play fresh and fast, IMO that is at least better than giving either of them 30 snaps. 

What if we combined them together and gave them Urlacher's speed and mind and none of their original parts?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

He's only been in town for a little over a week.  I'm going to give him some more time to learn this defense and his teammates before I decide if this was a good signing or not.

Not so sure about that. Taking on a blocker, filling a run lane, and not dancing around like you're afraid to get rolled up is the same in any scheme. If fans want to say he has 4 years experience and 2 Pro Bowls or whatever it is, you can't turn around and say he needs time to learn the ABC's. It doesn't get much easier than that first play from a diagnostic standpoint and he played it like coward.

Edited by cannondale

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not so sure about that. Taking on a blocker, filling a run lane, and not dancing around like you're afraid to get rolled up is the same in any scheme. If fans want to say he has 4 years experience and 2 Pro Bowls or whatever it is, you can't turn around and say he needs time to learn the ABC's. It doesn't get much easier than that first play from a diagnostic standpoint and he played it like coward.

We took a flier on a guy whose former team will be paying most of his salary in the hopes he finds his former self in a new surrounding.  If not we aren't out much even if we cut him.   I only see positives here for the team (and for him if he can get his act together).