Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

Well, I hope this can be a “name” signing for everyone who needs one. I’m sure those people will stop gnashing teeth now. 

I like it. Clearly has lost something from his once top 10 potential but hopefully new scenery, new scheme and different expectations will help him find a niche. Low cost, decent upside. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

Look, there’s upside here.  He’s known as a high-character, good locker room guy.  And in spite of his surgeries, he hasn’t missed games since signing with Dallas.  If he isn’t on the field in coverage downs, he could be a good addition.

Finally, I’m sure it stings for him going from Pro Bowler two years ago, to getting benched, to then being cut in mid-season.  Sometimes, situations like this give players new motivation and new life.  Our scheme is conceivably better for him, so let’s get behind and hope he has a ton of success here.

Welcome to GB Jaylon!

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Look, there’s upside here.  He’s known as a high-character, good locker room guy.  And in spite of his surgeries, he hasn’t missed games since signing with Dallas.  If he isn’t on the field in coverage downs, he could be a good addition.

Finally, I’m sure it stings for him going from Pro Bowler two years ago, to getting benched, to then being cut in mid-season.  Sometimes, situations like this give players new motivation and new life.  Our scheme is conceivably better for him, so let’s get behind and hope he has a ton of success here.

Welcome to GB Jaylon!

Agree, he might be great in a new role and what they ask him to do.   MLF knows him from when they both were at Notre Dame.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, he might be great at what they ask him to do.  

It’s pretty well known what’s he struggling to do.  Dallas has a bevy of solid LB’s that fit their scheme.  If our coaches use Jaylon wisely, he could come up big for us in situational downs.  I’m curious to see how this all plays out.

Just spitballing but I wonder if we have plans for him in the pass rush package. Just can't think we make this ILB investment with Barnes ascending and Campbell looking like a stud.

Smith is probably 230 but is a rare athlete when it comes to explosion, the long speed has left from injury, but he's still got that burst. He's obviously not an EDGE and he's not going to line head up on an OT and beat them, but Garvin and Rivers are not good. We've been doing a lot of stunting and knifing, I think getting an explosive guy like that in those types of rush/blitz packages might be valuable.

• Like 1