Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

This is a shot of Barry's nickel D vs the Steelers, maybe replace Burks with Smith in a few weeks 
Gonna take Jaylon some time to get up to speed in Titletown. One of the negatives is Smith's ability to read defenses at ILB.
If they kick him out to the edge, maybe that makes life easier for Jaylon. MLF hit on bringing in Campbell, hoping for the same here

From Ben Fennell

"Smith has some linear speed and twitchiness - but if you can't slow down the mental side, the athleticism doesn't show up nearly enough"

Screen_Shot_2021_10_04_at_5.46.45_PM.png

From ACME

"The way the Packers did it on this snap was by walking down pass-rusher Rashan Gary (#52) over the center, essentially where a nose tackle would play, while kicking inside linebacker Oren Burks (#42) to the edge, where an outside linebacker would typically play. A walked down pass-rusher on the interior should not be a new sight to Packers fans, who have seen what Za’Darius Smith was able to do in Pettine’s defense, but the big difference is that they are now playing nickel personnel and not dime personnel, meaning they don’t have to have Adrian Amos playing linebacker in the box.

The personnel and alignment flexibility this defense is starting to show can cause offensive play-callers problems."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

He may not be the player he once was, but...

He'll be motivated, W

Ty Summers will play less snaps, W

Dallas is paying most of his salary, W W W 

Good job Gutey

Jaylon had no offset language in his Dallas contract, Dallas is on the hook for 100% of what they owe him, anything Green Bay pays is on top of that

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is he washed?  The Cowboys have spent an astonishing amount of draft capital on the ILB position, so it might have just been a numbers thing in addition to the issue with injuries and the way his contract is structured. 

As a long time Cowboys fan I wish the kid well.  No sour grapes from me.  That being said Smith's drop off in play was shocking.  Consistently overrunning plays in run defense.  Lost in coverage.  Bad angles to the receiver.  Fellow Dallas fans would shake our heads and wonder what happened to him.  Positive plays were few and far between.  Maybe the change of scenery does something for him.  I don't know.  It seems to me that the athleticism is there; the instincts for the position are not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

As a long time Cowboys fan I wish the kid well.  No sour grapes from me.  That being said Smith's drop off in play was shocking.  Consistently overrunning plays in run defense.  Lost in coverage.  Bad angles to the receiver.  Fellow Dallas fans would shake our heads and wonder what happened to him.  Positive plays were few and far between.  Maybe the change of scenery does something for him.  I don't know.  It seems to me that the athleticism is there; the instincts for the position are not.

Did it correlate with the DC changes?

Totally worth a shot here. Summers is. It an NFL player to me. Here because we have nothing better and if we sign Smith and cut Summers, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out of the league then. 

Put him in a place to shine based on what he does best and you should really have something. Guy has the tools many other LB’s in the league don’t. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Totally worth a shot here. Summers is. It an NFL player to me. Here because we have nothing better and if we sign Smith and cut Summers, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out of the league then. 

Put him in a place to shine based on what he does best and you should really have something. Guy has the tools many other LB’s in the league don’t. 

Yep, you can't teach his speed. Need to slow the game down for him by limiting what he has to read on the field. It will be interesting to see how many of Barnes snaps he may get. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northland said:

Personally while nothing has been said I think Quinn had a lot of say.  The bottom line is he just looked lost the past two seasons like a shell of his one Pro Bowl year.

To be fair, everybody on the Dallas defense last year looked lost, which is why Quinn was brought in. There were so many breakdowns last year. Then you draft Parsons and Smith's fate was sealed. There were rumors Dallas was trying to trade him at the end of camp but couldn't get what they wanted in return. The move to release him makes me believe those rumors were true. He didn't fit Quinn's defense. It happens all the time. 

• Like 1

Gute and the staff obviously see this as due diligence and a shot at a roster upgrade. Low risk - if it doesn't work out he will be gone. If he regains anything near his 2019 Pro Bowl level of performance it will pay high dividends  

While I have pretty tempered expectations, I also never forget that James Harrison was cut several times, first by the Ravens and multiple times by the Steelers before sky-rocketing to All-Pro and NFL defensive player of the year. 

I've got to believe that the front office and coaching staff believe this is certainly worth a shot. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered..

Edited by BAM
  • Like 2