Packers finalizing details for LB Jaylon Smith signing

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

guys who are playing well and following the assignments don't get cut midseason.  Even from questionable organizations.

If you're expecting much more than what we've seen from oren burks, you're going to be disappointed

just like we are disappointed with mason crosby

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Wasn't the argument for Dallas cutting him instead of just letting him play situationally/ride the pine is that if he did get hurt playing (or practicing) this year, the Cowboys would be on the hook for his salary next year too?

Yes... 9 million would be guaranteed.

I can't help but wonder if he is going to eat some EDGE snaps, with P and Gary.  Perhaps at the same time.

Tell him to rush, tell him to drop.  On passing downs.

No thought required.

I originally wasn't for the move, because his film last year was bad.  And I'm talking specifically about effort.

But at that contract, it's a no brainer.  Let's see what he can do and where he can do it.  He's an interesting chess piece to have.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I can't help but wonder if he is going to eat some EDGE snaps, with P and Gary.  Perhaps at the same time.

Tell him to rush, tell him to drop.  On passing downs.

No thought required.

I originally wasn't for the move, because his film last year was bad.  And I'm talking specifically about effort.

But at that contract, it's a no brainer.  Let's see what he can do and where he can do it.  He's an interesting chess piece to have.

I asked this yesterday too. He’s got length and athleticism . Maybe they just need to simplify his responsibilities to get the most out of him. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I asked this yesterday too. He’s got length and athleticism . Maybe they just need to simplify his responsibilities to get the most out of him. 

Coming in this late, they will have to simplify things to start. He doesn’t seem to be heavy enough to do some of the things Gary or P do on the edge but he theoretically should be able to move better in coverage and we should be able to let him hunt the QB.  With the amount of OLBs down, we almost have to get some rush  from our ILBs and safeties now. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Had a feeling this wasn't solely about ILB. Rams utilize a lot of 240 range EDGE guys so Barry is comfortable being a little lighter on the EDGE than Pettine was. I'm not saying he'll ever play base downs there, but I'd rather rush Jaylon than Garvin or LaDarius Hamilton.

Haven't they used Burks like that a little this season as well?

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Jaylon Smith: "I'm a Pass Rusher at Heart"

Linebacker Jaylon Smith updates on his health and what he envisions his role being this season.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/jaylon-smith-i-m-a-pass-rusher-at-heart

I'm guessing he signed here partiallybased on the idea that had a role where he gets to do that more? Makes sense

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm guessing he signed here partiallybased on the idea that had a role where he gets to do that more? Makes sense

This may sound like a bit of hyperbole but I think he's going to be a stud for us. Keep in mind a stud for us at inside linebacker is Nick Barnett kind of stuff here. The bar isn't exactly high in that regard. 

If we get production out of the inside linebacker spots and Jaire and Z can come back close to their former self, this defense indeed could become something. A lot of things have to fall our way, but I'm an optimist, sort of. 

• Like 1