TNF: Rams @ Seahawks

NYRaider

Winner?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Rams
    • Seahawks

11 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Seahawks fans have told me the last 6 years Russ is a top 5 QB, many have argued him being the best and mvp in several seasons. Pete caroll is a top 5 HC, and John Schneider is a top 5 GM. So since 2015 you have had a top 5 QB, HC, and GM and you haven’t been out the divisional round once. It’s looking like that’s gonna be the case again.

The only thing I can take from this is someone in this group is overrated. The question who

The answer is Pete Carroll AND John Schneider. BroncosFan already shared why Pete is an awful game manager that depresses the talent on this team, but boy am I ready for John to see the axe. 

Dude is pretty much living off of 2 draft classes (2010 and 2012). 

The personnel mismanagement on this team is borderline malpractice. It’s become a fun running joke come draft season, but seriously, find me another GM who hasn’t hit on a 1st round pick since 2010 and still has a job. Not only that, but when he’s not totally blowing 1st round picks, he’s trading a ransom for horrible fits like Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, and Jamal Adams. 

And keep in mind, it’s not JUST missing on 1st round picks. It’s being completely ignorant to positional value and what it takes to run a team long term. Our last 3 1st round picks made include Jordyn Brooks (run stopping MLB on a team with Bobby Wagner), LJ Collier (operates as a weekly healthy scratch, was a run defending ‘elephant’ DE which aren’t hard to find), and Rashaad Penny (right when people had determined RBs weren’t worth 1st round picks unless truly elite and we already had Chris Carson). 

The roster has turned into a joke. We let Shaq Griffin walk to sign Jamal, so the CBs suck. Jamal is a liability. The LBs are all a liability in coverage. And they’re running a committee DL approach where no one guy is consistently good. 

If this Russ injury is the beginning of the end, so be it. I would greatly prefer we dump Pete & John to keep Russ around, but those guys have apparently developed local immunity from any scrutiny. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Seahawks fans have told me the last 6 years Russ is a top 5 QB, many have argued him being the best and mvp in several seasons. Pete caroll is a top 5 HC, and John Schneider is a top 5 GM. So since 2015 you have had a top 5 QB, HC, and GM and you haven’t been out the divisional round once. It’s looking like that’s gonna be the case again.

The only thing I can take from this is someone in this group is overrated. The question who

Probably the guy who gave away the Seahawks' future for Jamal freakin Adams and hasn't had a good draft class in a decade. Russell Wilson has been keeping this team afloat with duct tape and elbow grease for the past 5 years. Without him, Pete Carroll and John Schneider would've been fired a long time ago but Russ masks a lot of their issues.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just here to say that final INT was, at the very least, illegal contact. What an awful way to once again highlight how bad officiating has been this year in a game where Geno Smith was actually very good.

Geno impressed me. I mean, that doesn't mean much because if Russ were to go down, the season is over. But if Russ was to miss a few plays, it would not be an instant pick or 3 and out. So that's something.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think you're selling McVay very short. There's a reason the guy has never lost a game in his head coaching career when leading at half.

FWIW I think McVay is a top 5 coach in offensive design, game prep and overall offensive unit building.   Wasn't his fault Goff couldn't bring the full skillset that a guy like Stafford (when he's not playing like last night) can bring.   My statement on his game management is that he's become far more conservative than you want to see, as that makes a huge difference once you get to the upper tier of teams.   The reason why it hasn't led to blown leads at halftime is a reflection of the top 10 D units he's enjoyed the last 2 years, and the juggernaut healthy-Gurley driven O they enjoyed in 2017-18.   Still it's worked - but it's narrowed the gap between lesser teams and the Rams IMO.  It's the same objection I have with Carroll, except Carroll is on the extreme spectrum, whereas for McVay, it's not cost him blown leads...yet.   

Now, I get that it can be argued that with an elite D and Hekker, maybe you can be conservative and you're just playing to those strengths - but I do believe that coaches decisions that maximizes win potential provides the best chance to win the big titles.   A hidden part to the Bucs' success in the playoffs last year was Arians "can't win it if you don't risk it" gamecalling with TB12.    John Harbaugh is excellent at this as well.   And so far, the poster child for this is LAR alumnus Brandon Staley with the Chargers this year so far.    Don't get me wrong, I love McVay overall - but that's one area where his decision-making doesn't match the innovative genius we see in so many other facets of his coaching portfolio.   But that's one aspect I'm referring to - I'd kill (well almost) to have him in Denver, make no mistake, so not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.    It's just that this one aspect of coaching can make the difference once you're playing in January.

So here's the final thought - now that LAR's D isn't close to their 2019-20 form - we're going to need to see a more aggressive McVay.  If you're right and I'm selling him short because he simply game managed to the strengths of his team, now he'll adapt and change that MO, recognizing this.   What I worry about - coaches get more comfortable being safe the longer they coach.    Guess we'll see if he adapts, especially if the Rams D isn't nearly as vaunted in stifling comeback drives through the air as they were in 2019-20.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The answer is Pete Carroll AND John Schneider. BroncosFan already shared why Pete is an awful game manager that depresses the talent on this team, but boy am I ready for John to see the axe. 

Dude is pretty much living off of 2 draft classes (2010 and 2012). 

The personnel mismanagement on this team is borderline malpractice. It’s become a fun running joke come draft season, but seriously, find me another GM who hasn’t hit on a 1st round pick since 2010 and still has a job. Not only that, but when he’s not totally blowing 1st round picks, he’s trading a ransom for horrible fits like Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, and Jamal Adams. 

And keep in mind, it’s not JUST missing on 1st round picks. It’s being completely ignorant to positional value and what it takes to run a team long term. Our last 3 1st round picks made include Jordyn Brooks (run stopping MLB on a team with Bobby Wagner), LJ Collier (operates as a weekly healthy scratch, was a run defending ‘elephant’ DE which aren’t hard to find), and Rashaad Penny (right when people had determined RBs weren’t worth 1st round picks unless truly elite and we already had Chris Carson). 

The roster has turned into a joke. We let Shaq Griffin walk to sign Jamal, so the CBs suck. Jamal is a liability. The LBs are all a liability in coverage. And they’re running a committee DL approach where no one guy is consistently good. 

If this Russ injury is the beginning of the end, so be it. I would greatly prefer we dump Pete & John to keep Russ around, but those guys have apparently developed local immunity from any scrutiny. 

Its the most frustrating thing about Schneider. The GM stuff outside the draft has been good (Contracts, FA, Waivers, late picks for vets etc). That success is the main reason Seattle has stayed afloat. Its just the draft strategy has been..... ugh. Throwing premium picks at non-premium positions has been rough. And whatever their criteria is for judging prospects isnt working either. Outsiders opinion here, but the exodus of Front Office (Idzik, McCloughlan, Fritterer) staff has bleed Seattle dry. And John-Pete havent been able to replace them good enough.

Lately Seattle drafts have been great at finding +++special teams players. But outside of that OOF.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW I think McVay is a top 5 coach in offensive design, game prep and overall offensive unit building.   Wasn't his fault Goff couldn't bring the full skillset that a guy like Stafford (when he's not playing like last night) can bring.   My statement on his game management is that he's become far more conservative than you want to see, as that makes a huge difference once you get to the upper tier of teams.   The reason why it hasn't led to blown leads at halftime is a reflection of the top 10 D units he's enjoyed the last 2 years, and the juggernaut healthy-Gurley driven O they enjoyed in 2017-18.   Still it's worked - but it's narrowed the gap between lesser teams and the Rams IMO.  It's the same objection I have with Carroll, except Carroll is on the extreme spectrum, whereas for McVay, it's not cost him blown leads...yet.   

Now, I get that it can be argued that with an elite D and Hekker, maybe you can be conservative and you're just playing to those strengths - but I do believe that coaches decisions that maximizes win potential provides the best chance to win the big titles.   A hidden part to the Bucs' success in the playoffs last year was Arians "can't win it if you don't risk it" gamecalling with TB12.    John Harbaugh is excellent at this as well.   And so far, the poster child for this is LAR alumnus Brandon Staley with the Chargers this year so far.    Don't get me wrong, I love McVay overall - but that's one area where his decision-making doesn't match the innovative genius we see in so many other facets of his coaching portfolio.   But that's one aspect I'm referring to - I'd kill (well almost) to have him in Denver, make no mistake, so not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.    It's just that this one aspect of coaching can make the difference once you're playing in January.

So here's the final thought - now that LAR's D isn't close to their 2019-20 form - we're going to need to see a more aggressive McVay.  If you're right and I'm selling him short because he simply game managed to the strengths of his team, now he'll adapt and change that MO, recognizing this.   What I worry about - coaches get more comfortable being safe the longer they coach.    Guess we'll see if he adapts, especially if the Rams D isn't nearly as vaunted in stifling comeback drives through the air as they were in 2019-20.

McVay is far from perfect. But he has always been this conservative when it comes to game management. And he keeps winning. He keeps holding onto leads. It works for him. Do I occasionally get frustrated? Sure. People used to blame it on Goff. But it's just McVay. All coaches have flaws. I can deal with his (TO management, play clock management, challenges, pass happy, impulsive, conservative game management, etc.).

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just here to say that final INT was, at the very least, illegal contact. What an awful way to once again highlight how bad officiating has been this year in a game where Geno Smith was actually very good.

Bro.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

?

I don't know how it's illegal contact. I've watched the video multiple times, and it doesn't even look like Fuller touched him. Lockett tripped over his own feet. EDIT: At most, his knee hit Lockett's foot as he tried to avoid him. That's incidental contact. It's not a penalty.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1