Week 5: Jets vs Falcons in London

Bobby816

Morning football. And another chance for us to maybe get a win with ATL not looking like that strong of a team.

On defense ATL is a hard team to gage. They're for sure not a great group... but they actually rank middle of the pack in pass and rush D.

BUT..... somehow they're giving up a league worst 32 points a game. So where our defense has looked about middle of the pack as well. We aren't giving up the TDs like they have. Regardless... this should be a team we can score on. Maybe a great time for Wilson to have a breakout game.

We come into this game easily the worst team on offense (we have only averaged 12pts a game, where the 2nd to last team sits at 16). So we surely aren't scaring anyone. But this can be a game to get Wilson going.

On defense the only thing I'm worried about is Patterson. Our main weakness on defense has been screen passes to the RB. Patterson is dangerous with the ball in his hand receiving at RB (3 TDs just last week alone). So if we can contain that... I think we can win. If we cant... we lose IMO.

Prediction....

NYJ: 27

ATL: 21

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hate to say this but I do think the Jets pull out a very close win here. I think the game is low scoring and Wilson continues to throw INTs. I think he throws 2 INTs here but the jets bounce back from that with a very strong D showing. 

Jets 17

Atlanta 10

Why do you hate to say that you think the jets will win? Lol. I think this game is the first one we actually have a chance to win convincingly. 

Edited by mattmanz91

There’s two sides to this game I’m seeing.

Matt Ryan knows this defense very well, he’s practiced against it the past 6 seasons up until this year. 

Ulbrich knows Ryan very well after being in Atlanta with him. 

Often times that advantage goes to the DC because they’ve keyed on the QBs tendencies/weaknesses. 

For us on offense let’s see what kind of consistency we build. I’m hoping Wilson doesn’t have to make things happen on his own again, LaFleur needs to create some easy opportunities for our weapons to just explode up the field. 

Jets- 27

Falcons- 13

3 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Why do you hate to say that you think the jets will win? Lol. I think this game is the first one we actually have a chance to win convincingly. 

Because he likes being miserable lol.

Pumped to see this young team continue to build off last week, hopefully they got some added confidence and can carry it to more offensive success. The Falcons defense isn't good, definitely the weakest we've played yet.   Saleh and Ulbrich has the defense playing hard each week, hopefully we can bring the pressure like we did vs the Titans. Our interior DL is loaded and causes issues as they don't allow the QB to step into the pocket.  Between Williams, Rankins, and Fatso. They are a nasty trio. 

Decided to pop by to see how you guys are looking forward to this game.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hate to say this but I do think the Jets pull out a very close win here. I think the game is low scoring and Wilson continues to throw INTs. I think he throws 2 INTs here but the jets bounce back from that with a very strong D showing. 

Jets 17

Atlanta 10

I wouldn't worry about Wilson throwing INT's unless he's able to put on a Falcons jersey while the ball is mid-flight and catch it himself. Heinicke threw 4 INT's last week.. except our DB's seem unable to catch them. Also the Falcons have this longstanding tradition of making QB's rookies look great.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Could playing this game in England, Sunday be a prelude of Woody Johnson, moving the Jets to the UK. We all know how much he loves England. But just the thought of the Jets being called the LIVERPOOL JETS IS TERRIFYING. 

I really wouldn't worry about that. Even when shared with the Giants isn't NY one of the biggest markets around?

Also I don't see the name Jets going down well in Liverpool (well maybe in Liverpool but Manchester would probably think it would be in poor taste; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster )

Also curious in what world the Falcons have anything but the most enemic passrush in the league. It's basically a one man show in Grady Jarret.

3 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

First off no way the Jets come out and take over the game. They have been behind the game play the first half. This coaching staff sucks on game plan during the first half. They would do the total opposite of what they think. So now you are at halftime mostly likely being down. Now you had 2 games where the O showed they can come back. I think last weeks OT win and the travel really took a number ion this team. Then you add that Wilson will throw at least 1 int and some terrible throws. I think he throws 2 this game but that is just me. On the other side you have a very well known vet who has seen it all in Matt Ryan. He has lost a step but I don't think he is that far behind during his prime. Just these factors alone cry out close game. I'm only take the Jets to win because I want them too. If you are betting money I would take the under 46. 

4 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Because he is by far the most negative poster on this board this season because he hates Zach Wilson.

I hate predicting wins and loses. Their offense is likely the best we have seen this year. Good news is their QB is a statue and their OL has suspect on the interior. We have to start showing some consistency on offense and hopefully last game was a huge confidence boost. The OC still needs to be 100 times better and literally nothing he called led to the big plays, they were essentially all off of Zach making plays out of the pocket. Lafleur has to be smart and give this offense some sort of a rhythm. Through 4 games I couldnt be any more unimpressed though. Overall, come out and compete hard and that is all I can ask for.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Our main weakness on defense has been screen passes to the RB

Knowing that, what will Ulbrich dial up?  Do we even have the LB talent to deal with it?  Our front 4 plays an attacking style of D so they are susceptible to screens.  The DB's play off and behind the receivers so they are no immediate help.  It will rest on our LB's.  The good thing is Mosely, Williams and now Cashman are all fast and can get there IF they recognize it in time.

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

LaFleur needs to create some easy opportunities for our weapons to just explode up the field. 

Unfortunately, the Flacons are watching the film from last week.  They will some up with something to stifle Zach's rollouts designed or not.  Now would be a good time to institute some naked bootleg plays and RPO's.  Lets see if LaFleur has the ability to learn from the very recent past.

I do have high hopes for this game.  I think this will be Zach's first week without a pick.  I also think getting Mims involved a little is in the game plan.  This will be the first week with an int by a DB (lets go with MC2 for that one).  The run game will still falter and will continue to falter until the OL learns to block, but I expect more receptions by our RB's this game.  Moore will have his first TD.

We have a pretty good idea what Wilson can do, but would love to see what Carter can do I watch his highlight tapes from NC he has speed power and great moves, and good hands. The center of our O line is not very good on run blocking, in fact they stink. All the yards Carter got last week was all on this own. I can't believe that TD he made Sunday when he took two steps and leap over 6 feet high to score a TD that ain't normal, it real shows the athletic ability he has. It has been so long since we drafted a good RB i don't even remember. In fact I am going to look it up right now

I just look it up it was Leon Washington 2006 very productive player

Bilal Powell 2011 had his moments but was no gamer changer

Shonn Green 2009       ditto

So the last great running back we got in the draft was the great Freeman Mc Neil, we was our first  round pick in 1981. So that answers my question 40 Years ago

Edited by doumeyer