Week 5: Jets vs Falcons in London

Bobby816

25 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Did you guys see how better David Mills for Texas has improved. They almost beat the Pats. This is the pace Zach must be on but he is not even close. The Texans have a worse roster than the Jets too, 

Yeah its frustrating. For me personally I have to see progress in his game by the end of the season, if not, there is no excuse for Joe Douglas to not give this team a second option to compete. You can punt yet another season just because you want Wilson to be the guy when he isnt. 

8 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah its frustrating. For me personally I have to see progress in his game by the end of the season, if not, there is no excuse for Joe Douglas to not give this team a second option to compete. You can punt yet another season just because you want Wilson to be the guy when he isnt. 

Yes. If I remember correctly Darnold struggled early as well. But he finished the last like 5 games really strong if I remember. He also had 0 to work with. Wilson has no excuses besides coaching.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes. If I remember correctly Darnold struggled early as well. But he finished the last like 5 games really strong if I remember. He also had 0 to work with. Wilson has no excuses besides coaching.

All QB's need a running game and right now we have none, we have Carter who could or should be the answer the O line has not open one hole since he has been with the Jets. The problem is the O line not Carter who I think is the real deal.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

All QB's need a running game and right now we have none, we have Carter who could or should be the answer the O line has not open one hole since he has been with the Jets. The problem is the O line not Carter who I think is the real deal.

OLine has actually been pretty good recently. And Carter has played well. Its more that we don't score period in the 1st half. So we're so far down, that we need to score a bunch fast and cant run like he'd like to in the 2nd half. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

OLine has actually been pretty good recently. And Carter has played well. Its more that we don't score period in the 1st half. So we're so far down, that we need to score a bunch fast and cant run like he'd like to in the 2nd half. 

Yes their passing blocking had been good but their running blocking has been very bad. I would love to see Carter run once they get him to the secondary,

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot of that is on the play calling as well.  LePew seems to really want to establish the run early but it isn't working.  It is tough when a team is constantly third and long for the first three or four drives.  He really needs to start working on a short horizontal game to start the game so it will open up the run and deeper passing as the game progresses.

Here's a novel concept:  4 Wr set with two running 5-10 yd horizontal routes (Crowder and Moore), one running a 10-20 yd. route over the middle since LePew is insistant on Zach remaining in the pocket (Davis) and one WR running deep (Mims).  Now the onus is on Zach to hit those receivers.

7 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

To be fair, they gave Zach easy throws early on in the Falcons game, he just missed them

This guy is getting it too. The play calling is there during the falcons game. I did see some good play calls in other games too but Wilson looks deep ever time first. He needs to look at the easy dink and dump plays. The main reason I hated the Wilson pick was because of his ball placement and decision making process. The guy would have people wide open and make the WR dive for it, go off stride or lead them out of bounds.  I really do I eat crow on this but I don't see Wilson as a starting QB in the NFL. He is a nice backup guy but even that might be hard to handle because his football IQ is starting to scare me. He can not do the simples things that a high school kid can do. Can we trade Zach Wilson for Watson? 

54 minutes ago, xrade said:

A lot of that is on the play calling as well.  LePew seems to really want to establish the run early but it isn't working.  It is tough when a team is constantly third and long for the first three or four drives.  He really needs to start working on a short horizontal game to start the game so it will open up the run and deeper passing as the game progresses.

Here's a novel concept:  4 Wr set with two running 5-10 yd horizontal routes (Crowder and Moore), one running a 10-20 yd. route over the middle since LePew is insistant on Zach remaining in the pocket (Davis) and one WR running deep (Mims).  Now the onus is on Zach to hit those receivers.

4 WRs? Why would be do that when we're loaded at TE and run 2 of them out a ton?

Here are some stats (data) that show how poor we are in the 1st quarter:

1.  The Jets have run the ball on 70.6% of their first-down plays in the first quarter, which leads the NFL. The Jets have run the ball on 52.4% of their first-quarter plays, ranking fourth-highest in the league. Through 5 games, it ain't working so why keep doing it?

2. Wilson has thrown a five passes on first down in the first quarter this season. LePew is very predictable with a run-run-pass design in the 1st Q.  Sounds like Gase.

3.  Wilson has struggled mightily with throwing off of play-action. He ranks second-worst out of 35 qualified quarterbacks with an average of 5.0 yards per attempt on play-action passes, beating out only fellow rookie Davis Mills.  On non-play-action passes, Wilson is averaging a much more respectable 7.1 yards per attempt, ranking 20th out of 35.  Perhaps the poor running game has something to do with this?

4.  Wilson has an adjusted completion percentage (which accounts for drops, batted passes, throwaways, etc.) of 89.5% on throws that were released under 2.5 seconds after the snap. That ranks fourth-best in the NFL.  Conversely, he has an awful adjusted completion percentage of 60.2% on throws that were released after 2.5 seconds, ranking 30th out of 35 qualifiers.  He has tossed only 32.0% of his pass attempts in under 2.5 seconds, the second-lowest rate in the league ahead of only Lamar Jackson.

Saleh said they need to fix the O and going into the bye week is a perfect time to do it.  Based on the above, it does not seem like rocket science as to what can be done from a play calling perspective.  Then it will be up to the players.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

4 WRs? Why would be do that when we're loaded at TE and run 2 of them out a ton?

I know, right?  I really think they believe the TE's are helping with the pass blocking and opening up lanes in the running game.  There is no other possible reason for doing that.  The problem is that the coaches must be watching another team when the do post game evaluations.  I hope LePew knows he is a Jet coach now and still not a 49's assistant.

Just now, xrade said:

I know, right?  I really think they believe the TE's are helping with the pass blocking and opening up lanes in the running game.  There is no other possible reason for doing that.  The problem is that the coaches must be watching another team when the do post game evaluations.  I hope LePew knows he is a Jet coach now and still not a 49's assistant.

Doesn't show on Sundays. When we're the worst offense in the league with not the worst offensive players in the league

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

To be fair, they gave Zach easy throws early on in the Falcons game, he just missed them

As much as I hate Lafleurs passing concepts overall, you made a true statement. No previous rookie we’ve had struggled this much through 5 games. Sanchez had by far the best team and was still pretty bad most of the season (we woulda won at least 3 more games if he wasn’t atrocious) and Sam had the worst. My biggest issue with Zach is when he actually has time to throw he literally throws darts right at defenders. It’s like he’s not even looking and just cocking back and chucking it as hard as he can. He has a football IQ, but he has not read defenses post snap what so ever. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ekill08x said:

As much as I hate Lafleurs passing concepts overall, you made a true statement. No previous rookie we’ve had struggled this much through 5 games. Sanchez had by far the best team and was still pretty bad most of the season (we woulda won at least 3 more games if he wasn’t atrocious) and Sam had the worst. My biggest issue with Zach is when he actually has time to throw he literally throws darts right at defenders. It’s like he’s not even looking and just cocking back and chucking it as hard as he can. He has a football IQ, but he has not read defenses post snap what so ever. 

This is why I wish we signed a veteran. I think the jump from college to the pros and the difference in competition was downplayed (because Chris Simms said he was NFL ready or whatever) and those late throws on his tape have turned into INTs. Sitting and learning the game helps and I truly believe the situation a player, especially QB, is drafted into outweighs most other factors.

It sucks but the odds are not in the Jets favor here. QBs that play this bad rarely turn it around. Josh Allen is the exception to the rule and the game is way easier to pass now then it was decades ago when Manning and Elway were rookies. I really hope Wilson becomes an exception but I’m not holding my breath.

We’ll know exactly what he is by the midpoint of next season

Edited by GangGreen420
  • Like 1