Baker Mayfield tears left labrum - no surgery as of now

brooks1957

REALLY disappointing and unsurprising news. Off-season surgery is in order, and I'm assuming that he'll continue to be all over the place like he has been since the injury. Here's an article and synopsis I posted yesterday. The article is worth a few minute read:

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/4-takeaways-browns-vs-vikings-165706026.html

Really good article. Here's a visual highlight of Baker and his shoulder:

This is vs. the Vikings:

0a2e074952584389837e0c9c0266bda3

This is the first week:

8f4da9349da3e8261fc68995d361d601

Here's what he says:

The Browns QB did not have a good day throwing the ball in Minnesota. Mayfield was uncharacteristically off-target on a bunch of throws, particularly longer ones to the outside of the field. And while he won’t admit it and coach Stefanski downplays it, Mayfield’s wounded left (non-throwing) shoulder is clearly bothering him.

It’s a subtle difference in his release, but in poring over the games of watching Mayfield throw, it’s clear. He just isn’t rotating the left shoulder as much on his release, and it costs him accuracy. It’s visible in the still photo above; normally Mayfield’s left shoulder would be back more and the left hand would be extended out, not tucked up.

Expand  

I think that the lack of a tight spiral consistently is also VERY clear the past two weeks.

The follow-through on the rotation isn’t happening since he suffered the injury in the Week 2 win over the Texans. That lead arm is tighter and not as balanced and it throws off his ball placement. It was especially obvious on two missed throws: the third-down throw to Odell Beckham at the end of the Browns’ second possession of the third quarter (deep right, hit the DB in the back) and the very final throw, also to Beckham and also low and well behind where it needed to be. Those are easy throws to open receivers and Mayfield just missed them. A healthy Mayfield doesn’t miss those throws, period.

It doesn’t absolve the rest of Baker’s body from making some mistakes. The first drive of the second half saw Mayfield make two terrible decisions with the ball, ignoring uncovered receivers and attempting more difficult throws with less potential reward. It was not his best day and the lame non-throwing shoulder isn’t the only reason why.

Expand  

We also pointed this out, especially his desiring to run vs. keeping his eyes downfield. That's on him regardless of his injury. I love his desire to play with passion, but he needs to be smarter and know who he is...and it's not a guy who can just run and make plays with his legs like he could in the Big XII at OU.

The Vikings coverage does deserve some credit too. Minnesota’s pass coverage in its own end of the field, once the deep throw option was taken away by the back of the end zone, was really impressive.

Not sure if this was intended for News or the Browns subforum, but I updated the thread title to fit to NFL News standards.

If this was meant for the Browns sub, let me know and I'll change the title back and punt it to Cleveland.

51 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

No chemistry issue with Odell - put that puppy to bed.

Baker legitimately hurt.

I know its not at all the point of this thread - but the first sentence is pretty ridiculous and unrelated to the injury

It can be both - he can be legitimately injured AND still have bad chemistry with Odell

• Like 5

Given it's his left/non-throwing shoulder, this should be a case of pain management, right?

I mean, I guess one can make an argument that an asymmetrical shoulder could throw off his balance slightly which will alter his throwing motion and impact his performance... but really, the plan is simply a lot of toridol... right?

Maybe I am going to be in the minority here, that's OK.

With the rules having been modified last year, I would STRONGLY consider putting Baker on IR for three weeks.

Our next three games lay out like this.

10/10/21 - @ SoFi vs the Chargers. Our strength (running the ball) hits the Chargers where they are weakest. Plus they just IR'ed on of their top LBs. If we control the game on the ground, it limits Herbert's opportunities. Give Keenum this game to shake off the rust.

10/17/21 - CARDINALS Case Keenum is very capable in directing a "shootout" game, which this one could very well be. The Cardinals have a stout defense with good edge rushers. This is the game you really NEED to protect a healing Baker, and it is why you have a very seasoned veteran as your back up.

10/21/21 - BRONCOS Playing a freshly rehabbed QB on a short week, even though they both are at home, is never a good idea. I don't think the Broncos have the offensive weapons to match our firepower.

Then the team has a mini-bye, a 10 day break until the Steelers come to town.

A pissed off Baker (since he was forced to sit the last three games) goes nuts and shows why the Browns are the kings of the AFC North.

Divisional play starts with the Steeler game. You certainly want Baker at his healthiest then.

6 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Maybe I am going to be in the minority here, that's OK.

With the rules having been modified last year, I would STRONGLY consider putting Baker on IR for three weeks.

I think with a torn labrum, taking 3 weeks off really won't help. This injury needs surgery to heal which Baker will have at some point to repair it. If he has that now, he is likely done for the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I think the more important question is whether this affects his contract negotiations and to what extent

Presumably, this is a "prove it year" to determine where his market value slots in

We've had similar talks in our forum. Baker is a "bet on myself" kind of guy, so if I was betting on this, I'd say that he'll likely roll with that 5th year option that we picked up, and try to see how he does the rest of the way and into next year.

If I'm the Browns, I try to take advantage, because realistically, even if Baker continues to be inconsistent (which is a shame given how good he was his first two weeks), he's not going anywhere for 3+ years IMO.