Baker Mayfield tears left labrum - no surgery as of now

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

We've had similar talks in our forum. Baker is a "bet on myself" kind of guy, so if I was betting on this, I'd say that he'll likely roll with that 5th year option that we picked up, and try to see how he does the rest of the way and into next year.

If I'm the Browns, I try to take advantage, because realistically, even if Baker continues to be inconsistent (which is a shame given how good he was his first two weeks), he's not going anywhere for 3+ years IMO.

I'd argue 2 years. I don't think you can double tag Baker. If you're willing to pay him $40+ for that 2nd tag, then you just sign him long term

But it's interesting because I'd guess Baker is not going to settle for the contract I think he deserves, and the Browns will be stuck between overpaying and being without a QB

Baker definitely gets more from Cleveland than he does from an open market if I had to guess

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

It's funny/ironic that he's basically been blacklisted since that play and barely been in. 

It was a pretty bad play from him to be fair, stopped on a jump ball and then the qb gets hurt. 

Might have tanked our season. 

39 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think with a torn labrum, taking 3 weeks off really won't help. This injury needs surgery to heal which Baker will have at some point to repair it. If he has that now, he is likely done for the year.

With a torn labrum - there's nothing that can be done except surgery.    It's just pain management at this stage.   Giving him 3 weeks won't make any appreciable difference.

And frankly, I know this will be unpopular with Browns fans - but I think it doesn't even come close to explaining Baker's struggles.   Baker's excellent 2H 2020 coincided with him facing 7 of the bottom 10 pass D's, and his outstanding OL given him protection - his best traits of ball placement and anticipation played up as a result.  I get that the injury and pain might cause a cascade effect that affects him indirectly.   But honestly, it's all just pain management for a non-throwing shoulder injury.   Of course it limits his mobility outside the pocket, but that's not a strength at all (moving around the pocket to extend plays, sure, but he thinks he's a better scrambler past the LOS than he actually is - I mean, campus police demonstrated that in college).  

This is going to get addressed in the offseason, and he'll manage with pain control throughout the season.   To protect him from extra hits, though, I'd expect more heavy sets, and to continue the run-heavy game plan CLE leans to anyways.   

CLE's going to be a 2-outcome team gamescript wise with Baker - with a 10+ pt lead, it's likely over for their opponent, unless they have an elite QB.   If CLE falls behind by 10+, though, coming back is going to be tough with Baker.    Thing is, IMO that was already the case to begin with.  And to be clear, you can be a legit SB contender this way if the rest of the roster is as talented as CLE's is (but you also have fewer paths to victory each week, and the margin for error in the playoffs is significantly smaller than with good to great QB's).   

This team is the ideal setup for Baker to succeed - amazing OL, great run game, and now really good D.    He'd be crazy to think he can do better both $ and production-wise.  Frankly, IMO CLE is the one that can do better - but given how burned they've been by past QB failures, they'll take Baker and pay him above-market $ for his actual contributions - the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4
12 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You can’t play quarterback with a freakin torn labrum. What are these people even thinking about?

Keenum bout to do it again.

Players in non-contact positions play through non-throwing labrum tears all the time - then get surgery in the offseason.

https://thespun.com/acc/clemson-tigers/trevor-lawrence-suffered-shoulder-injury-during-sophomore-season - Trevor Lawrence, Week 2 college 2020, gets surgery in February.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/mitch-trubisky-underwent-surgery-repair-shoulder-injury - Trubisky hurt the non-throwing shoulder week 4 2019 season, gets surgery in January 2020.

And so on.   If it's the non-throwing shoulder, it's not an issue except pain tolerance for QB's - then get it fixed in offseason.  For position players, if you need to tackle, or lift both arms - then you get surgery now.   But since it's QB, expect Baker to get surgery in 2022, after the season is over.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I'd argue 2 years. I don't think you can double tag Baker. If you're willing to pay him $40+ for that 2nd tag, then you just sign him long term

I was including this year in that span. My apologies for the confusion.

55 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

But it's interesting because I'd guess Baker is not going to settle for the contract I think he deserves, and the Browns will be stuck between overpaying and being without a QB

Baker definitely gets more from Cleveland than he does from an open market if I had to guess

We'll see. He's always been a team first guy, so I don't really have any reason to believe that he's going to play hardball, but who knows.

42 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With a torn labrum - there's nothing that can be done except surgery.    It's just pain management at this stage.   Giving him 3 weeks won't make any appreciable difference.

Correct

And frankly, I know this will be unpopular with Browns fans -

here we go batman GIF

but I think it doesn't even come close to explaining Baker's struggles.   

(Please read the article that I posted on P.1 with an open mind. It even has pictures for your convenience.)

Baker's excellent 2H 2020 coincided with him facing 7 of the bottom 10 pass D's, and his outstanding OL given him protection - his best traits of ball placement and anticipation played up as a result. 

That 2nd Baltimore game and both those Pittsburgh games though...

I get that the injury and pain might cause a cascade effect that affects him indirectly. 

And directly on a mechanical standpoint as well. 

But honestly, it's all just pain management for a non-throwing shoulder injury.   Of course it limits his mobility outside the pocket, but that's not a strength at all (moving around the pocket to extend plays, sure, but he thinks he's a better scrambler past the LOS than he actually is - I mean, campus police demonstrated that in college).

Balls sailing high as a result of wearing a harness, utilizing the "draw" on the proverbial "bow", raising your non-throwing elbow as the guide and follow through are all directly correlated.

This is going to get addressed in the offseason, and he'll manage with pain control throughout the season.   To protect him from extra hits, though, I'd expect more heavy sets, and to continue the run-heavy game plan CLE leans to anyways.   

Correct

CLE's going to be a 2-outcome team gamescript wise with Baker - with a 10+ pt lead, it's likely over for their opponent, unless they have an elite QB.   If CLE falls behind by 10+, though, coming back is going to be tough with Baker.    Thing is, IMO that was already the case to begin with.  And to be clear, you can be a legit SB contender this way if the rest of the roster is as talented as CLE's is (but you also have fewer paths to victory each week, and the margin for error in the playoffs is significantly smaller than with good to great QB's).   

This team is the ideal setup for Baker to succeed - amazing OL, great run game, and now really good D.    He'd be crazy to think he can do better both $ and production-wise.  Frankly, IMO CLE is the one that can do better - but given how burned they've been by past QB failures, they'll take Baker and pay him above-market $ for his actual contributions - the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.

Perhaps so. I'd expect an up and down performance from him here on out...which is actually a shame considering how great he looked Weeks 1 and 2.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

And frankly, I know this will be unpopular with Browns fans - but I think it doesn't even come close to explaining Baker's struggles.   Baker's excellent 2H 2020 coincided with him facing 7 of the bottom 10 pass D's, and his outstanding OL given him protection - his best traits of ball placement and anticipation played up as a result.  I get that the injury and pain might cause a cascade effect that affects him indirectly.   But honestly, it's all just pain management for a non-throwing shoulder injury.   Of course it limits his mobility outside the pocket, but that's not a strength at all (moving around the pocket to extend plays, sure, but he thinks he's a better scrambler past the LOS than he actually is - I mean, campus police demonstrated that in college).  

Just watch the mechanics and subsequent ball placement against the Vikings compared to any other game he's played.  That sounds like a good narrative, but it doesn't match the eye test.  He hasn't adapted to his shoulder being jacked up yet.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Given it's his left/non-throwing shoulder, this should be a case of pain management, right?

I mean, I guess one can make an argument that an asymmetrical shoulder could throw off his balance slightly which will alter his throwing motion and impact his performance... but really, the plan is simply a lot of toridol... right?

It should simply be a discomfort issue as it’s his non throwing shoulder. He’s wearing a harness which will reduce mobility and help with comfort. 

• Like 1
On 10/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, Tk3 said:

I know its not at all the point of this thread - but the first sentence is pretty ridiculous and unrelated to the injury

It can be both - he can be legitimately injured AND still have bad chemistry with Odell

Yeah how does this injury excuse the previous couple seasons worth of evidence?