GDT 10/11/21 Week 5: 3-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-3 Indianapolis Colts

DreamKid

4 minutes ago, RayLew52 said:

I mean the guy has been playing defensive back for like 3 years, maybe we can give him some time to develop?

Well my point is, why pick an overaged(will be 24 in Dec) smaller school developmental HB-CB-S convert in the 3rd Round? Not only is that a pretty poor gamble, but you're also giving him a lot of clout with that early round status. So even if a guy like Geno Stone or Ar'Darius Washington deserved to start over him, it'll be hard to sit Stephens since he has a superior level of investment. That's where I'm at. 

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Well my point is, why pick an overaged(will be 24 in Dec) smaller school developmental HB-CB-S convert in the 3rd Round? Not only is that a pretty poor gamble, but you're also giving him a lot of clout with that early round status. So even if a guy like Geno Stone or Ar'Darius Washington deserved to start over him, it'll be hard to sit Stephens since he has a superior level of investment. That's where I'm at. 

That's never been a problem with the Ravens though. They like to bring in that lower/undrafted guy at the same position to either pressure the high draft pick into success or take his job.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Well it was pretty obvious to me in this last draft the Ravens coveted the athletic kids that were a bit raw. If he can add an element of explosiveness to his already solid instincts you could really have something. Obviously the Ravens like what they see from him or he wouldn't be out there.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

That's never been a problem with the Ravens though. They like to bring in that lower/undrafted guy at the same position to either pressure the high draft pick into success or take his job.

It's also not something we run into a whole lot, we don't typically miss on early round picks so it's rarely an issue. Where we have seen investment trump ability or hold someone back is with FAs though. For example Jefferson keeping Clark off the field as long as he did was obviously really bad for this club. 

It's really a secondary concern, because quite honestly Elliot is the true starter. My biggest fear is Stephens just flat out not working, which has been justified to this point. If he did have a good game against the Colts(past the couple of plays Baldy highlighted) it definitely stands it contrast to his other performances this season. Like I said though, happy to eat crow if he does turn into a player for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Still think he's primarily a big athlete just kind of running around the field, remain not high on the pick. If he develops I'll gladly eat all kinds of crow though. Happy to see him have some bright moments(that TD saving tackle on JT was all kinds of huge), and even happier to see those bright spots acknowledged. 

Also, Oweh. That is all. 😄

I didn’t think Stephens balled out, but he was definitely much improved compared to his first couple looks this season. I was definitely more impressed with both his physicality and tackling in this game. He took a definite step forward.

Can agree that he’s an athlete just sort of running around, but considering it took a couple years for Chuck Clark to develop, I think we’ve got to be encouraged by the improvements we’ve seen in Stephens at least. It shows he’s taking his craft seriously IMO. So that once his mind catches up with his athleticism, perhaps he can be a formidable options within our defense.

Thats not him right now, I agree, but if he can continue to string together some improvements that would be very beneficial to our secondary moving forward. His biggest task now is improving his zone recognition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

The Good, The Bad and The Fraudulent

The Good

• LJ8 - He has the biggest Backpack I've seen in a very long time. The price is only going up and at this current point in the season, EDC owes him a contract of 1 Billion United Murica Dollars with 900 Million guaranteed
  • The WR's - Hollywood, Duv, Proche and even Watkins before he got hurt. Keep getting better folks
  • Mandrews - The King has returned and I love to see it
  • Greg Roman - Yes, I hate him so, but I always keep the same energy good or bad. Called a helluva game even when I was crying for the run inside the 5. I still stand by that sentiment, but they threw the ball all over the field and I gotta give credit
  • Oh, he knows Dey Weh - Odafe Oweh... that's the tweet
  • Calais Campbell - I see you, pimp. I see you want all the smoke
  • Tavon Young - Had a great game for the most part*    *More on that later

The Bad

• The defense - I mean, what the hell was that, Wink?
  • The LB's - We might have to look outside the organization because this cannot continue with these boys
  • Anthony Averette - You've played well most of the year, but last night was just absurd and he must be better
  • The Tackling - I know we want the Athletic guys, but we need some dogs who can lay the hammer with textbook tackling because sheesh!

The Fraudulent

• Tavon Young's penalty - If we loss and I were Steven, I would've cut him because that's how mad I was 
  • The running game - What a lackluster way to see the streak end. Life sometimes isn't fair
  • Humphrey - I'm trying to give my mans a pass, but he hasn't looked like the Marlon we know.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. As usual feel free to add and chime in. The Chargers are coming to The Vault on a short week for us, but that's no matter long as we have the human Backpack... Lamar, King of The North. This is going to be a tough task, but as long as LJ8 is behind center I know we'll at least have a chance in any game.

Let's go, boys!

I think in the good category we definitely have to give a definite shoutout to Patrick Mekari. Dude might not have the “physical tools” you look for to be a premier RT in this league, but he’s been looking very above average to good at the position- as he has at every position he’s played.

Certainly someone we should be looking to sign on a cheap extension ASAP IMO.

• Like 2

Following up on this, IIRC Tavon had a season ending neck injury back in 2019..... that I believe he had to have surgery for. Which makes his reaction more understandable and forgivable imo. Still isn't something you want to see, but I don't think there's many athletes in the entirety of sports that wouldn't react to a cheap shot on their surgically repaired neck- after losing 2 consecutive seasons to injury.

• Like 3

Random, but I just realized… had Lamar passed up on that pass attempt to Freeman (that he dropped) and just ran it, the amount of green he had probably would’ve gotten us the rushing record.

Its not something I’m focused on, I just recapped the game in my mind, and realized that missed opportunity also missed THE opportunity. Oh well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Random, but I just realized… had Lamar passed up on that pass attempt to Freeman (that he dropped) and just ran it, the amount of green he had probably would’ve gotten us the rushing record.

Its not something I’m focused on, I just recapped the game in my mind, and realized that missed opportunity also missed THE opportunity. Oh well.

The thing that stood out to me re-watching Lamar's pass attempts, especially in the 3rd/4th quarter (this is aside from your point, the Freeman thing made me remember this) was how well Lamar was taking what the defense gave him and letting his WR's/RB's get YAC for him in those situations. The RB's, primarily Freeman, did a good job of catching, making the first guy miss and getting up field.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Don't remind me. It hurts, dad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Don't remind me. It hurts, dad.

Having that record all to ourselves would have obviously been sweet but given all of the tiresome #discourse around Lamar, there's also something kinda poetic about the streak ending on national television and it not even mattering because we're too busy talking about how Lamar had a record setting (highest ever completion percentage while throwing for 400 yards - a niche stat but an undeniably impressive one) and all around historically memorable night as a passer.

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 4