GDT 10/11/21 Week 5: 3-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-3 Indianapolis Colts

DreamKid

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I'd rather save him. We can beat the Colts without Bateman but the Chargers are a force this season

Same. Rather have him rest up this week and be ready for the next 12 games. Our current WRs just had a great game vs Denver.

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I'd rather save him. We can beat the Colts without Bateman but the Chargers are a force this season

It's not a matter of saving him though, it's all about health. You don't sit potential impact options in games that matter just because you want them even fresher next week against the stronger opponent. That's not how the NFL works. 

If they're holding him back it's because they want even more distance between his debut and the groin surgery. Which is understandable, even if it's highly frustrating.

I still predict a short leash from the fanbase when he returns though. Other Rookie WRs are performing at a high level, our own WRs are playing good football for the first time in a long time, Lamar is really pushing the ball downfield, and our other 1st Round Pick this year has been lighting it up. Fans aren't going to want an adjustment period or to live through any Rookie struggles saga with Bateman, and this extra precautionary/totally remove any questions about his health time he's been given will raise expectations even more. No excuses, they'll want a Year 1 weapon- the same thing they got in Hollywood. Debuting against top AFC competition and a SB contender creates even more pressure. Hope Bateman is ready for all of it.

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

It's not a matter of saving him though, it's all about health. You don't sit potential impact options in games that matter just because you want them even fresher next week against the stronger opponent. That's not how the NFL works. 

If they're holding him back it's because they want even more distance between his debut and the groin surgery. Which is understandable, even if it's highly frustrating.

I still predict a short leash from the fanbase when he returns though. Other Rookie WRs are performing at a high level, our own WRs are playing good football for the first time in a long time, Lamar is really pushing the ball downfield, and our other 1st Round Pick this year has been lighting it up. Fans aren't going to want an adjustment period or to live through any Rookie struggles saga with Bateman, and this extra precautionary/totally remove any questions about his health time he's been given will raise expectations even more. No excuses, they'll want a Year 1 weapon- the same thing they got in Hollywood. Debuting against top AFC competition and a SB contender creates even more pressure. Hope Bateman is ready for all of it.

yeah I mean, pretty obviously it would be about resting his groin further. 

On 10/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, DreamKid said:

We struggled against Waller and Kelce, both cause they're incredibly good players and because we lacked the best personnel to defend them at the time, but since Jimmy Smith has returned from injury we've fared pretty well. Kept TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant quiet in consecutive weeks.

So I'd assume we'll do alright against him. That said, the 2021 Ravens are full of surprises and that's preventing me from being overly confident in any department. It's pretty much a wait and see deal for everything at this point. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think we struggled against Waller anywhere close to the level of success Kelce was able to have. 

Yes, he had 105 yards, but it was on 19 targets (a very pedestrian 5.5 yards per target). It's a pure volume story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

I don't think we struggled against Waller anywhere close to the level of success Kelce was able to have. 

Yes, he had 105 yards, but it was on 19 targets (a very pedestrian 5.5 yards per target). It's a pure volume story.

Agree. That's a more accurate assessment. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Unless Boykin has secretly become a STs ace,... I see no reason for him to even be active. 

So that we can gear up to have Nick Boyle come back and we can run those lovely 22 personnel sets that Roman loves, why else. 😎😩

But for real, I’m secretly hoping that there’s some sort of covert plan for us bringing up Boykin so as to pump him full of targets, get him a decent game, and then package him with Latavius Murray for an OL that can help shore up our depth at OT.

41 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

But for real, I’m secretly hoping that there’s some sort of covert plan for us bringing up Boykin so as to pump him full of targets, get him a decent game, and then package him with Latavius Murray for an OL that can help shore up our depth at OT.

I think there might be an investigation if any GM in the league actually traded us a worthwhile depth Tackle for Boykin & Latavius. 😆

I forget who it was, but recently some coach or FO guy came out and said he's been trying to acquire OL pieces but no one in the league is looking to deal. Apparently even back ups are being held onto like they're invaluable. Which would explain why EDC hasn't swung a deal yet. So I guess we kind of just have to accept our fate on that front. Stanley will come back at some point, and maybe Ja'Wuan James gets healthy for the playoffs but that's honestly a long shot. Boyle and Stanley will give us a boost though. Might be an awkward situation with AV on the horizon. Don't think he wants to ride the bench, but Mekari has been better at RT. One game sample size for AV though, so Harbs will have a decision to make. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think there might be an investigation if any GM in the league actually traded us a worthwhile depth Tackle for Boykin & Latavius. 😆

I forget who it was, but recently some coach or FO guy came out and said he's been trying to acquire OL pieces but no one in the league is looking to deal. Apparently even back ups are being held onto like they're invaluable. Which would explain why EDC hasn't swung a deal yet. So I guess we kind of just have to accept our fate on that front. Stanley will come back at some point, and maybe Ja'Wuan James gets healthy for the playoffs but that's honestly a long shot. Boyle and Stanley will give us a boost though. Might be an awkward situation with AV on the horizon. Don't think he wants to ride the bench, but Mekari has been better at RT. One game sample size for AV though, so Harbs will have a decision to make. 

Yeah that’s absolutely true, perhaps we could settle on a reliable ILB talent that can help boost our tackling within the front 7 then.

54 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ty'Son active.

I’m a little surprised we’re continuing to ride the devonta freeman train. He hasn’t added anything in particular in the run game. Maybe it’s just a name thing but bell seems to add a little more at this point in time. He had a few great reps in pass blocking, and definitely seems like a better passing threat. Does freeman play special teams?

34 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I’m a little surprised we’re continuing to ride the devonta freeman train. He hasn’t added anything in particular in the run game. Maybe it’s just a name thing but bell seems to add a little more at this point in time. He had a few great reps in pass blocking, and definitely seems like a better passing threat. Does freeman play special teams?

Probably has something to do with Murray becoming available unexpectedly. The team seems entrenched with Murray’s physicality within the run game.

Yet when the injuries initially hit they signed Freeman and Bell and knew they had Williams in tow.

I agree with you that Freeman is probably our most expendable runner because he’s essentially a poor man’s Tyson Williams.

I know I joked above about trading Murray (because of his vision) but realistically if we’re moving a RB, like you said, Freeman would be the best back to move and keep the same feel of what our backfield has been like the last couple seasons:
Murray = Poor Man’s Gus
Williams = Poor Man’s Dobbins
Bell = Lateral talent to Ingram