Russ Cooking in Minnesota?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/08/the-clock-continues-to-tick-toward-a-potential-divorce-between-russell-wilson-seahawks/

Yeah, I know it's his 10th year in the league and he's got a handsome contract in Seattle.  He wants to win!  If you were the GM, what would you offer the Seachickens for Wilson to come to Minnesota?  Can you imagine the difference Russell's athleticism and great deep ball could make on a team with Cook, Thielen and Jefferson?  The offense could be wide open!  Of course, the Vikings would need a different offensive philosophy, but first things first...what would you offer?

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think we can get out of Cousins contract until 2023.

If you swap them, then it could likely work, because Wilson's cap number is smaller.  But, unfortunately, they'd be extending their cap issue another year since Russ has a $40M cap number in 2023.  And I would think they'd have to give Seattle a decent draft pick (although I don't necessarily think it'd have to be a 1st rd pick because of Kirk's shorter contract) in exchange.  In the end though, I'd probably still be hesitant to do so, because I'm already seeing Russ' game start to wane...although that could have more to do with his supporting cast more than himself.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

We're also going to run into the problem of Wilson wanting the offense to go through him, and I don't know if the current regime would do that. 

Also don't know if Seattle will want Cousins at his current price. He's less mobile than Russ and their line might actually be worse than ours. 

We'd have to give them Cousins and probably 2 first round picks. Maybe more. Then we're going to be in the same predicament of not being able to afford to put a complete team around him. 

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn’t Wilson’s biggest concern having a dinosaur for a head coach and an outdated Defense/run first philosophy. How’s that different here? Assuming Zimmer gets fired?

I am predicting it here.  If the Vikings miss the playoffs, or if they are one and done in the playoffs, Zimmer retires with a little push from the Wilfs.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am predicting it here.  If the Vikings miss the playoffs, or if they are one and done in the playoffs, Zimmer retires with a little push from the Wilfs.

Might be a hard sell for Wilson to want to start with a new regime but there may not be many other options.