2021-2022 NBA Predictions Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Mobley will have a pretty similar year to what Wiseman had last season. I get that Green had a bad couple of games but he's going to be Houston's primary ball handler so he'll put up numbers this season just based on volume alone, the same for Cade. When you look back at the last 15 winners the only two bigs to win the award were Blake Griffin (22/12) and KAT (18/11). Mobley averaged 11 ppg on 33% with 4.5 fouls per game in the SL and in the preseason he's averaging 9 points on 46% and 3.5 fouls per game. Anthony Davis didn't even win it his rookie season despite having a pretty good year. He's in a weird spot in Cleveland playing with Lauri/Allen as well as a guard like Sexton who's in a contract year. I also don't think Cleveland has any chance of making the playoffs. The Nets, Bucks, Hawks, Celtics, 76ers, Heat, Knicks, and Bulls should all make it and then you have teams like the Pacers/Hornets who will be right there as well. 

It looks like Looney is going to start over Wiseman this year and they've been actively shopping him. 

Zion would have won had he not been hurt half the year.  Mobley has a better all around game than most bigs coming into the league.  He will separate from the others as he is more talented than Allen and Lauri. Cleveland will battle for one of those play in spots.  I dont trust the Knicks still and the Cavs are in that next tier.  If Mobley plays well, they could easily be there especially if Garland and Sexton take more steps forward. 

Green I like but will have numbers similar to Edwards IMO.  I think KPJ is the lead ball handler.  Green will get some but also will have a lot of those turnovers to go with it.  He is a scorer, not a playmaker.  I think Cade has a better chance at ROY than Green but my guess is someone unexpected wins it as none of the top rookies are expected to be on top teams or putting up numbers that matter. 

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Zion would have won had he not been hurt half the year.  Mobley has a better all around game than most bigs coming into the league.  He will separate from the others as he is more talented than Allen and Lauri. Cleveland will battle for one of those play in spots.  I dont trust the Knicks still and the Cavs are in that next tier.  If Mobley plays well, they could easily be there especially if Garland and Sexton take more steps forward. 

Green I like but will have numbers similar to Edwards IMO.  I think KPJ is the lead ball handler.  Green will get some but also will have a lot of those turnovers to go with it.  He is a scorer, not a playmaker.  I think Cade has a better chance at ROY than Green but my guess is someone unexpected wins it as none of the top rookies are expected to be on top teams or putting up numbers that matter. 

Zion was also averaging 22 points on almost 60% FG. I like Mobley's long term potential but he's extremely frail right now and it's going to take him some time to adjust to the NBA game. Anthony Davis averaged 13/10/2 as a rookie on good efficiency numbers while playing good defense and Dame won it by averaging 19/6 on 42/36/82 splits. MCW won it averaging like 17/6/6 on 40/27/70 splits just because of the volume stats that he produced. 

Ehh we'll see about that, I personally expect the Cavaliers to be one of the worst teams in the league again. Their roster construction is terrible still and they lack depth across the board. They were 22-50 last season with the 28th worst offense and 25th worst defense in the league and the only moves they made were bringing in Lauri, Mobley, and Rubio. The Knicks were 41-31 with the 3rd best defense in the league and added Fouriner/Kemba plus Thibs is one of the elite coaches in the league and guys like Quickley, Barrett, Randle, and Robinson should all continue to improve. 

Green averaged more assists and less turnovers in the G-League then Cade did at Oklahoma State last season. In the SL Jalen averaged 2.0 assist/2.3 TO while Cade averaged 2.3 assist/4.0 TO. So this notion that Cade is some super amazing playmaker and Jalen isn't is just completely false. If Cade wasn't ducking competition and would actually play in the games he'd be struggling right now as well. 

And I think Jalen/Cade are the front runners to start the season just like Edwards/LaMelo were last year, it'll take another random rookie significantly outplaying them to win it. 

Edited by NYRaider

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Zion was also averaging 22 points on almost 60% FG. I like Mobley's long term potential but he's extremely frail right now and it's going to take him some time to adjust to the NBA game. Anthony Davis averaged 13/10/2 as a rookie on good efficiency numbers while playing good defense and Dame won it by averaging 19/6 on 42/36/82 splits. MCW won it averaging like 17/6/6 on 40/27/70 splits just because of the volume stats that he produced. 

Ehh we'll see about that, I personally expect the Cavaliers to be one of the worst teams in the league again. Their roster construction is terrible still and they lack depth across the board. They were 22-50 last season with the 28th worst offense and 25th worst defense in the league and the only moves they made were bringing in Lauri, Mobley, and Rubio. The Knicks were 41-31 with the 3rd best defense in the league and added Fouriner/Kemba plus Thibs is one of the elite coaches in the league and guys like Quickley, Barrett, Randle, and Robinson should all continue to improve. 

Green averaged more assists and less turnovers in the G-League then Cade did at Oklahoma State last season. In the SL Jalen averaged 2.0 assist/2.3 TO while Cade averaged 2.3 assist/4.0 TO. So this notion that Cade is some super amazing playmaker and Jalen isn't is just completely false. If Cade wasn't ducking competition and would actually play in the games he'd be struggling right now as well. 

And I think Jalen/Cade are the front runners to start the season just like Edwards/LaMelo were last year, it'll take another random rookie significantly outplaying them to win it. 

I think I would take the field vs Cade and Green tbh.  I think Barnes will have a good year.  Suggs should and will have the ball in his hands a lot, and I think Mobely will get boards and average 15/9/2 with decent efficiency when all is said and done.  It wouldn't shock me if someone like Sengun or Giddy win it as both should get plenty of opportunities as well.  Davion Mitchell could as well just because he is older like Dame was and more physically ready to compete on both ends.  I think the elites have a lot of opportunities but also will struggle enough to not get the ROY.  Ball got it because his team ended up in the playoffs.  If not, Edwards or Haliburton likely would have won it.  I dont see them giving it to empty stats on a bottom 3 team. 

Nets over Lakers in 6 to win the NBA Finals. I think this is the matchup we all want to see and I think we finally get to see it. I have my questions about the Lakers in terms of how the experiment with Russ as well as the age and just them making through an entire season relatively healthy. If they can do it and get to the playoffs I think experience will take over. You have a motivated LeBron, AD is capable of playing like the best big man in the NBA and top 5 player and I think Russ will not take a game off. He is the ultra competitor. Plus Id love to see Melo try to get a ring in the same way I wouldve loved to see CP3 get a ring last season. With the Nets I would say a healthy KD and Harden even with the Kyrie situation is still more than capable of getting to the Finals. They almost beat the Bucks without a healthy Harden and no Kyrie if KD toe wasnt on the 3pt line in regulation of Game 7. I think adding Mills and Milsap while getting back Griffin and Aldridge will help. Not to mention I love the rookie Cam Thomas and some of the other draft picks the Nets made. I think Harris will be better in the playoffs this time around since he got to experience the big spotlight. I also think Nash will be a better coach in his second year as well. So this is the matchup and I think the Nets still have better shooting especially from the 3pt line and free throw plus the Lakers with Russ is going to turn the ball over more which you cant do against the Nets because a close game will turn into a blowout quickly if possessions are empty due to a missed shot or bad turnovers. 

Dont sleep on Cam Thomas as dark horse for rookie of the year. With the Kyrie situation I think Cam has the opportunity to come in and play a huge role especially as the season goes along and thrive playing next to KD and Harden. He has really impressed me in Summer League and preseason. He was a steal in the draft out of LSU. 

While Im thinking of the Kyrie situation, many people on here know Im a defender of Kyrie. In this situation though I cant defend him. What Kyrie is doing is selfish. He is hurting the Nets and really its pointless. The only team that can stand in the way of a healthy Nets winning the title is the Nets. Nobody on the Nets is standing in the way of them and achieving their goals except for Kyrie. He say he wants to be a leader but this isnt what a leader does. He is obligated to the Nets organization to be there for them. If not then he just need to retire. Go retire and continue to stand for what you believe in. Dont put the team in a bad situation. They cant trade him because he has said if he gets traded he will retire. Plus no team want to trade for him knowing that he has this situation on going. I just dont get it and its frustrating. Without getting into the covid talk because I know where I stand about it, I just feel like Kyrie is part of a team. If this was tennis or golf where its just him then I can maybe understand it more. I just dont when it comes to this situation because Kyrie isnt doing whats best for the team and I have to say I cant look at Kyrie the same for this. As a result Im reminded why KD wanted to get Harden. Harden is the insurance policy for Kyrie. As long as KD and Harden is healthy the Nets imo are still the favorites to win the title. If they do win it I wouldnt let Kyrie sniff getting a ring. He can disappear for all I care. It just makes me so annoyed to know that this is happening all because of what ever reason Kyrie has in his mind to make a point.  

Edited by stl4life07

i'll be shocked if cam thomas is top 3 in the roy voting.  when was the last time a bench player won the ROY? I know you mentioned Kyrie not possibly playing and Thomas starting and I do agree he is in a perfect situation with the Nets but I'm not sure his numbers off the bench will put him in the ROY discussion. 

Edited by Texansfan713

31 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i'll be shocked if cam thomas is top 3 in the roy voting.  when was the last time a bench player won the ROY? I know you mentioned Kyrie not possibly playing and Thomas starting and I do agree he is in a perfect situation with the Nets but I'm not sure his numbers off the bench will put him in the ROY discussion. 

I agree. I liked Thomas for Memphis (and would trade Ziaire for him in a heartbeat), but even without Kyrie I don't think there's anywhere close to enough opportunity for him to put up the numbers needed to be in the ROY running.

22 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

The last 4 ROY's were all top 3 picks that were their teams primary ball handler from day one. It will be Jalen or Cade, no one else will even get enough usage to come close.