Week 8: I Thought Hurricane Season Was Over

Bianconero

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

OK, I hear you on most of these points, but my question to you would be the following: what would change if we DID NOT tank at the tail end of this season? If I see Hackenberg in the starting lineup at any point this season, then I KNOW we're tanking. So, WHOM would we be tanking for? I understand WHY teams 'tank' in various sports at different times. I get why you would tank for Patrick Ewing; for Alex Ovechkin; for Connor McDavid; for LeBron James; for Peyton Manning; for John Elway. Who is coming out of THIS draft that warrants us going 3-13, instead of trying to win as many games as possible and continuing the feel-good story of the 2017 season?

The way I see it, we'll still have the draft picks and nearly $80 million in cap space whether we tank the rest of the way or fight for 6-10, 7-9 or maybe even 8-8 (doubtful). 

With the way we have played so far this season, I believe there are still 4 winnable games on our schedule...starting tonight, followed by games at TB, vs. Car and vs. LAC. None are gimmes and we'll likely be underdogs in all of them save for maybe the Chargers, but we can win these games. Home to KC, at Denver, at New Orleans and at New England will be much harder. 

But damn, if we can go 6-10 or 7-9 this season I would feel A LOT better about this team heading into next season than if we tanked the rest of the way and ended up 3-13...basically washing away all of the good we started with in September and October.

If it washes away Todd Bowles as well then I’m all on board.

We’ll see what happens tonight, but I think if we end up 3-6 all that feel good stuff will be long gone anyways.

Archived