Jump to content

NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Chargers said:

So the NFL is going to gift St. Louis a team even though the team that left couldn't turn a profit there? The only expansion team should be overseas in London.

An expansion team in London would have no fans, every person who is already interested supports an existing NFL team. London also has 5 premiership football teams so the market is pretty saturated for professional sports teams.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, viking said:

An expansion team in London would have no fans, every person who is already interested supports an existing NFL team. London also has 5 premiership football teams so the market is pretty saturated for professional sports teams.

Getting fans didn't really stop the NFL from going to LA. Where a large part of the potential audience already has a team, cares about other sports or the opposite doesnt care about them at all.

Market is big enough they can sell out the games, expand the brand and game.
The NFL is really dumb at growing their game at any reasonable pace.
Like I know they have a massive feeder league free of charge, but so does the NBA and they pushed globally in a good way.
It's harder to do, but the owners need to be a smidge less greedy to help build the game.

Right now this is what I'd do if I were the NFL

  • STL sues, can ether give them a team or pay billions.
    Makes more sense to expand and make that money back than just pay them off IMO
  • So St. Louis gets a team for 2026.
  • While the St Louis plans are underway the league creates it's own feeder teams that will bring back NFL Europe.
    6 teams comprised of designated players, American players NFLE contracts and international talent to develop.
    This will also be a way to test various markets and their hunger for the sport. London, Glasgow, Berlin. and other cities are targeted for a team.
    This gives the NFL some boots on the ground people to help grow the sport there, all you need is one international player to really shine and move up to the league to get more kids into it. Do this on a trial run for 5 years, and move the teams that aren't working out.
  • League is going to be imbalanced so a 34th team will be added by the end of the decade.
    Selections include San Antonio, Portland or Toronto. Given the expansion of Texas city populations, San Antonio gets 34.
  • The league isn't going to expand to 40 maybe ever, so you need new division and conference layout by the time Team 34 comes for sure.
    What probably makes the most sense two conferences with a total 6 divisions (5-6 teams per division), more historic divisions will be safe while others will have to be divided up. This will be unpopular, but necessary. The only other way is 3 conferences with either 2 divisions each of 5-6 teams or 3 divisions each of 3-4 teams.
  • Once the league has settled and you have the international market going better, you look into feasibility of putting Team 35 and maybe even 36 over there. I think probably what would happen is you Make a London team, or the Jags move to London. And you either make a 2nd one over there or you maybe put it in Germany if it's regains the popularity it once had. this is like 20 years from now.
  • If the Jags move over there or do some sort of hybrid, you now have a spot for either Portland or Toronto to get added.
    It opens up team 35 to be the North American team and come slightly sooner.
  • Once you are at 36 you now have even divisions from the 34 team scenarios listed.
  • Worst case London is the only city who really gets into it overseas or has the amount of people for you to be happy with the money, the Jags kinda become London's team with a full or half arrangement and all 4 expansion teams in the next 20-30 years are north American teams.
    But this plan gives them more flexibility and effort into trying London for real.

 

Do I think the talent base in the league is there for expansion, not really.
But I don't think they necessarily care. $$$ will be in their heads, especially if they have an opening they can auction like Bezos did for Amazon's 2nd headquarters.

Basically in todays terms 2-4 teams would need to find a starting QB out of Jimmy G, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Drew Lock, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Love, Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton, Fitzpatrick/Heinicke, Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Flacco, Minshew, Gabbert, RG3 and others

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

 

  • Worst case London is the only city who really gets into it overseas or has the amount of people for you to be happy with the money, the Jags kinda become London's team with a full or half arrangement and all 4 expansion teams in the next 20-30 years are north American teams.
    But this plan gives them more flexibility and effort into trying London for real.

 

 

I'm a bit busy so can't reply to your great post in full so I'm just going to comment on this point.

 

I live in London and I can assure you nobody gives 2 hoots about the Jags, they aren't "Londons team" and I promise they never will be relevant or seen to associate with London. English people don't give a crap about american football. 99% of American football fans in the UK are fanatics, there are no casual fans. So the fans here aren't going to jump ship and start supporting the Jags just because their owner is forcing them to play in the UK every year.

Edited by viking
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, viking said:

An expansion team in London would have no fans, every person who is already interested supports an existing NFL team. London also has 5 premiership football teams so the market is pretty saturated for professional sports teams.

A team over here would do really well.

Most fans of other teams have admitted to me that they could see themselves switching to a local team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, viking said:

 

I live in London and I can assure you nobody gives 2 hoots about the Jags

That is undoubtedly true though.

Edited by Mega Ron
.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely hate uneven numbers in sports. 33 teams is awful, just like 17 games is awful

If you want to go to 33 teams, then just make a big splash and just go to 36 and do three divisions of 6 per conference

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Getting fans didn't really stop the NFL from going to LA. Where a large part of the potential audience already has a team, cares about other sports or the opposite doesnt care about them at all.

Market is big enough they can sell out the games, expand the brand and game.
The NFL is really dumb at growing their game at any reasonable pace.
Like I know they have a massive feeder league free of charge, but so does the NBA and they pushed globally in a good way.
It's harder to do, but the owners need to be a smidge less greedy to help build the game.

Right now this is what I'd do if I were the NFL

  • STL sues, can ether give them a team or pay billions.
    Makes more sense to expand and make that money back than just pay them off IMO
  • So St. Louis gets a team for 2026.
  • While the St Louis plans are underway the league creates it's own feeder teams that will bring back NFL Europe.
    6 teams comprised of designated players, American players NFLE contracts and international talent to develop.
    This will also be a way to test various markets and their hunger for the sport. London, Glasgow, Berlin. and other cities are targeted for a team.
    This gives the NFL some boots on the ground people to help grow the sport there, all you need is one international player to really shine and move up to the league to get more kids into it. Do this on a trial run for 5 years, and move the teams that aren't working out.
  • League is going to be imbalanced so a 34th team will be added by the end of the decade.
    Selections include San Antonio, Portland or Toronto. Given the expansion of Texas city populations, San Antonio gets 34.
  • The league isn't going to expand to 40 maybe ever, so you need new division and conference layout by the time Team 34 comes for sure.
    What probably makes the most sense two conferences with a total 6 divisions (5-6 teams per division), more historic divisions will be safe while others will have to be divided up. This will be unpopular, but necessary. The only other way is 3 conferences with either 2 divisions each of 5-6 teams or 3 divisions each of 3-4 teams.
  • Once the league has settled and you have the international market going better, you look into feasibility of putting Team 35 and maybe even 36 over there. I think probably what would happen is you Make a London team, or the Jags move to London. And you either make a 2nd one over there or you maybe put it in Germany if it's regains the popularity it once had. this is like 20 years from now.
  • If the Jags move over there or do some sort of hybrid, you now have a spot for either Portland or Toronto to get added.
    It opens up team 35 to be the North American team and come slightly sooner.
  • Once you are at 36 you now have even divisions from the 34 team scenarios listed.
  • Worst case London is the only city who really gets into it overseas or has the amount of people for you to be happy with the money, the Jags kinda become London's team with a full or half arrangement and all 4 expansion teams in the next 20-30 years are north American teams.
    But this plan gives them more flexibility and effort into trying London for real.

 

Do I think the talent base in the league is there for expansion, not really.
But I don't think they necessarily care. $$$ will be in their heads, especially if they have an opening they can auction like Bezos did for Amazon's 2nd headquarters.

Basically in todays terms 2-4 teams would need to find a starting QB out of Jimmy G, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Drew Lock, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Love, Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton, Fitzpatrick/Heinicke, Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Flacco, Minshew, Gabbert, RG3 and others

My main problem with London is I just don't think it would be fair to ask someone to move there if they got drafted.  It is one thing to be asked to move to a different state within the US, but to be drafted to an entirely different country?  And why would any free agent want to sign there? 

And Germany is even more of a culture-shock. Why would any player sign there or be okay with being drafted there?  Maybe it works out for the NFL financially but it would be horrible for players.

Edited by iknowcool
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, viking said:

An expansion team in London would have no fans, every person who is already interested supports an existing NFL team. London also has 5 premiership football teams so the market is pretty saturated for professional sports teams.

Since when has market saturation ever stopped the NFL? I don't think anyone in the league office even knows what that means. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Right now this is what I'd do if I were the NFL

  • STL sues, can ether give them a team or pay billions.


I so, so hope the city doesn't settle. Let's see Kroenke's emails and phone records in discovery.

And I'd never, under any circumstances root for whatever replacement team this money-grubbing league of jackasses throws St. Louis' way. The NFL can go **** itself for thinking that'd appease anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

My main problem with London is I just don't think it would be fair to ask someone to move there if they got drafted.  It is one thing to be asked to move to a different state within the US, but to be drafted to an entirely different country?  And why would any free agent want to sign there? 

And Germany is even more of a culture-shock. Why would any player sign there or be okay with being drafted there?  Maybe it works out for the NFL financially but it would be horrible for players.

I dunno, international basketball players by and large seem to do just fine. Plus it isn't like the player(s) will be dropped there on their own, any smart team (they exist!) would probably have a few people dedicated to teaching the player the language and culture.  

Most people in the military I know absolutely LOVED their time in Germany. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...