NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis

DigInBoys

Just now, Mr Bad Example said:

I dunno, international basketball players by and large seem to do just fine. Plus it isn't like the player(s) will be dropped there on their own, any smart team (they exist!) would probably have a few people dedicated to teaching the player the language and culture.  

Most people in the military I know absolutely LOVED their time in Germany. 

I'm not dissing Germany or London.  I'm sure they are amazing places to live.  But would an American international ball player really choose playing overseas over playing in the NBA, if given the option?  I don't really think it is a fair comparison.  

And again, those are guys who choose to play overseas.  You are basically forcing someone to play in Germany if they are drafted there, if they want an NFL career.  That to me isn't fair.  And it is just a lot to ask of rookies.  They already struggle with transitioning into the NFL.  Now you are asking them to transition to being a professional and living in a different country?

I just can't see any rookie or FA choosing or wanting to play for an NFL team in London/Germany over an NFL team in the States.

• Like 3

Just now, iknowcool said:

I'm not dissing Germany or London.  I'm sure they are amazing places to live.  But would an American international ball player really choose playing overseas over playing in the NBA, if given the option?  I don't really think it is a fair comparison.  

And again, those are guys who choose to play overseas.  You are basically forcing someone to play in Germany if they are drafted there, if they want an NFL career.  That to me isn't fair.  And it is just a lot to ask of rookies.  They already struggle with transitioning into the NFL.  Now you are asking them to transition to being a professional and living in a different country?

I just can't see any rookie or FA choosing or wanting to play for an NFL team in London/Germany over an NFL team in the States.

I'll admit that the % of players who would choose that is low....then again, I've seen many a pro athlete choose a less than ideal situation if the dollars were right. 

FWIW I feel like it's really an indication of what a bottle we live in the US - the idea that "hey, would you like to make millions of dollars (tens of millions, in a FA case) and get to live in London/Berlin part time for 4 or 5 yrs?" is a dealbreaker rather than a complete slam-dunk "heck yeah!" scenario. 

2 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

A team over here would do really well.

Most fans of other teams have admitted to me that they could see themselves switching to a local team.

I can't see fans just jumping ship to a new team. For me personally if there was a team in London I'd only watch if they were playing the Vikings.

Also I don't think that any players would be very happy living thousands of miles away from their families.

4 hours ago, viking said:

I'm a bit busy so can't reply to your great post in full so I'm just going to comment on this point.

I live in London and I can assure you nobody gives 2 hoots about the Jags, they aren't "Londons team" and I promise they never will be relevant or seen to associate with London. English people don't give a crap about american football. 99% of American football fans in the UK are fanatics, there are no casual fans. So the fans here aren't going to jump ship and start supporting the Jags just because their owner is forcing them to play in the UK every year.

I agree. We're either fanatics (representin') or just wear the snapbacks/jerseys to look cool and can't name a single player. 

And yeah every NFL fan over here I know have a hard team following. I do think it would be possible to get a lot to switch though, if they ham up the British or patriotic thing etc. 

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

if they ham up the British or patriotic thing etc. 

They could put them in a division against the Patriots and become natural Rivals. The New England Patriots vs. the Old England Tea Taxers or whatever else England may be known for.

• Like 1

Idgaf about screwing up the perfect scheduling format. But I do care about diluting the talent and if anything think they should go back down to 30 teams.

That said. If anything, Austin seems like the booming population center where all the money is going. Why go back to the great cities of the early to mid 1900s?

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

They could put them in a division against the Patriots and become natural Rivals. The New England Patriots vs. the Old England Tea Taxers or whatever else England may be known for.

Giving you your language...?

Kind of makes sense, New England is the closest current NFL team to England geographically, probably the most similar genetically/ancestrally, sort of similar weather. I would think most people caught up in the Boston massacre were just Brits a generation or two earlier anyway. 

But yeah, good idea! 

I'm completely against the NFL moving abroad. Why does it need to?! 

23 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I dunno, international basketball players by and large seem to do just fine. Plus it isn't like the player(s) will be dropped there on their own, any smart team (they exist!) would probably have a few people dedicated to teaching the player the language and culture.  

Most people in the military I know absolutely LOVED their time in Germany. 

I think the point is that it's more about players consent than it is the actual quality of the places in question

That said - we already have that issue. Players who want to live in Texas are forced to NYC. Players who want to live on the east coast are forced to play in Indianapolis. Players who want to live in the midwest are forced to move to San Francisco

It's more severe to force a player internationally, but it's not like we don't already do this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Idgaf about screwing up the perfect scheduling format. But I do care about diluting the talent and if anything think they should go back down to 30 teams.

That said. If anything, Austin seems like the booming population center where all the money is going. Why go back to the great cities of the early to mid 1900s?

interesting take

do you really think we are seeing a diminishing quality of play? There's so much talent out there that even expanding the league by 10% isn't going to dilute the product to a noticeable extent.. if anything I think it lets worthy players emerge who otherwise don't have the opportunity to break through

27 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I'll admit that the % of players who would choose that is low....then again, I've seen many a pro athlete choose a less than ideal situation if the dollars were right. 

FWIW I feel like it's really an indication of what a bottle we live in the US - the idea that "hey, would you like to make millions of dollars (tens of millions, in a FA case) and get to live in London/Berlin part time for 4 or 5 yrs?" is a dealbreaker rather than a complete slam-dunk "heck yeah!" scenario. 

I think the issue is that those rookies can make the exact same amount without having to uproot themselves overseas. I foresee a lot more “if you draft me I’m not going” situations. 

10 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

interesting take

do you really think we are seeing a diminishing quality of play? There's so much talent out there that even expanding the league by 10% isn't going to dilute the product to a noticeable extent.. if anything I think it lets worthy players emerge who otherwise don't have the opportunity to break through

There is a limited supply of quality players at key positions.  QB being the biggest issue

14 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I think the point is that it's more about players consent than it is the actual quality of the places in question

That said - we already have that issue. Players who want to live in Texas are forced to NYC. Players who want to live on the east coast are forced to play in Indianapolis. Players who want to live in the midwest are forced to move to San Francisco

It's more severe to force a player internationally, but it's not like we don't already do this

Much easier for family to visit, relocate within the US vs internationally.

12 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

interesting take

If you look at the long numbers, youth and HS are having lower participation, so the league may eventually reach a tipping point where there truly is dilution. 

I honestly think a lot of the problem is not that the quality of players drops off, but that there aren't that many good coaches out there. 

39 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:
44 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Giving you your language...?

So the London Cunning linguists?

• Like 2