NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis

DigInBoys

9 hours ago, Chargers said:

So the NFL is going to gift St. Louis a team even though the team that left couldn't turn a profit there? The only expansion team should be overseas in London.

This is never ever ever going to happen! COVID alone exposes how this is ephemeral, the logistical hurdles alone just to international and intercontinental travel make it a total impossibility.

47 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

interesting take

do you really think we are seeing a diminishing quality of play? There's so much talent out there that even expanding the league by 10% isn't going to dilute the product to a noticeable extent.. if anything I think it lets worthy players emerge who otherwise don't have the opportunity to break through

I think there’s enough skill players to go around. But a lot of these Olines and secondaries are straight up trash. 

Pass rushers are slim but there’s not going to be of them no matter how many teams you get rid of.

8 hours ago, viking said:

An expansion team in London would have no fans, every person who is already interested supports an existing NFL team. London also has 5 premiership football teams so the market is pretty saturated for professional sports teams.

To me, and I could be completely wrong, this perspective lacks any foresight. London doesnt have fans 'right now'. Give it 20 years of having a team down the street in one of the most viewed sports globally and see what happens. 

There is nothing fundamentally about football that prevents it from being adopted in the UK outside of geography (IE - time zones, in person viewing). Having a dedicated team changes that.

On top of all that - gotta remember there are a lot of Americans in Europe. America is an incredible influence on Europe. Sure they call us fat, dumb gun owners... but then they slip on Nikes, pick up their iPhone go to McDonalds and browse ESPN. 

Edited by Matts4313

6 hours ago, viking said:

I'm a bit busy so can't reply to your great post in full so I'm just going to comment on this point.

I live in London and I can assure you nobody gives 2 hoots about the Jags, they aren't "Londons team" and I promise they never will be relevant or seen to associate with London. English people don't give a crap about american football. 99% of American football fans in the UK are fanatics, there are no casual fans. So the fans here aren't going to jump ship and start supporting the Jags just because their owner is forcing them to play in the UK every year.

Yeah the whole "Jaguars-London" connection always makes me chuckle. Granted, I lived all the way up in Aberdeen, but there were plenty of NFL fans up there and not a single one cared about the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

As with most cosmopolitan things, the US sports media promotes the Jaguars-Fulham connection to be much more than it really is. 

4 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

A team over here would do really well.

Most fans of other teams have admitted to me that they could see themselves switching to a local team.

How many are we talking?

A London franchise would just not work.

If the goal is to increase interest in the NFL from the UK/ Europe, bring back NFL Europe and watch the standard of coaching and investment in grass roots level of the sport improve. A few years down the line, significantly more young European players will get the opportunity to go to the NCAA due to college programmes having more trust in the standard of coaching here and having more established recruiting networks. 

We’ve got a decent thing going with the NFL in this country, but we should be careful what we wish for. 

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:
6 hours ago, viking said:

I'm a bit busy so can't reply to your great post in full so I'm just going to comment on this point.

I live in London and I can assure you nobody gives 2 hoots about the Jags, they aren't "Londons team" and I promise they never will be relevant or seen to associate with London. English people don't give a crap about american football. 99% of American football fans in the UK are fanatics, there are no casual fans. So the fans here aren't going to jump ship and start supporting the Jags just because their owner is forcing them to play in the UK every year.

Yeah the whole "Jaguars-London" connection always makes me chuckle. Granted, I lived all the way up in Aberdeen, but there were plenty of NFL fans up there and not a single one cared about the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

As with most cosmopolitan things, the US sports media promotes the Jaguars-Fulham connection to be much more than it really is. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/6161/jags-popularity-surges-in-uk-london-beneficial

You guys seems to contradict the polls

nfl_g_jagsfans_576x324.jpg&w=570&format=

The Jaguars also have enjoyed a significant surge in international recognition. According to an NFL survey, the Jaguars rank ninth among NFL teams in popularity outside the United States. That's a huge jump from the previous year, when they ranked 31st.

"In a little over a year we've had that much visibility and improvement and I think it's very, very important for the Jaguars," owner Shad Khan said.

The NFL compiled the results by culling a database of several hundred thousand fans. Each fan that registers selects his or her favorite NFL team and the Jaguars were the team that gained more fans last year than any other in the United Kingdom.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

To me, and I could be completely wrong, this perspective lacks any foresight. London doesnt have fans 'right now'. Give it 20 years of having a team down the street in one of the most viewed sports globally and see what happens. 

There is nothing fundamentally about football that prevents it from being adopted in the UK outside of geography (IE - time zones, in person viewing). Having a dedicated team changes that.

On top of all that - gotta remember there are a lot of Americans in Europe. America is an incredible influence on Europe. Sure they call us fat, dumb gun owners... but then they slip on Nikes, pick up their iPhone go to McDonalds and browse ESPN. 

I really doubt a London-specific team gets accepted. Sports fandom in Europe is markedly different than in the states. 

Best case scenario, they would be the equivalent of the Chargers in Los Angeles. 

The vast majority of Brits who genuinely care about American football already have their allegiance to a team, and that's practically a blood rite. 

2 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

How many are we talking?

A London franchise would just not work.

If the goal is to increase interest in the NFL from the UK/ Europe, bring back NFL Europe and watch the standard of coaching and investment in grass roots level of the sport improve. A few years down the line, significantly more young European players will get the opportunity to go to the NCAA due to college programmes having more trust in the standard of coaching here and having more established recruiting networks. 

We’ve got a decent thing going with the NFL in this country, but we should be careful what we wish for. 

NFL Europe-type programs dont work because they are halfarsed and a slap in the face to real fans. If you want NFL fans in Europe, put teams and billions of dollars into it. Make the game day experience amazing. People attend, invest emotionally and financially and market (wear apparel) for things that are fun and create enjoyment. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I really doubt a London-specific team gets accepted. Sports fandom in Europe is markedly different than in the states. 

Best case scenario, they would be the equivalent of the Chargers in Los Angeles. 

The vast majority of Brits who genuinely care about American football already have their allegiance to a team, and that's practically a blood rite. 

The NFL isnt built on that. Really no sport (or product) is. They are built on having enough casuals that buy tickets and turn on the TV to make a profit. 

In other words: NFL doesnt need people in London to have the same feelings about the Jags as Tottenham. Just enough people to sustain fandom until its more widly adopted. 

Edited by Matts4313

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/6161/jags-popularity-surges-in-uk-london-beneficial

You guys seems to contradict the polls

nfl_g_jagsfans_576x324.jpg&w=570&format=

The Jaguars also have enjoyed a significant surge in international recognition. According to an NFL survey, the Jaguars rank ninth among NFL teams in popularity outside the United States. That's a huge jump from the previous year, when they ranked 31st.

"In a little over a year we've had that much visibility and improvement and I think it's very, very important for the Jaguars," owner Shad Khan said.

The NFL compiled the results by culling a database of several hundred thousand fans. Each fan that registers selects his or her favorite NFL team and the Jaguars were the team that gained more fans last year than any other in the United Kingdom.

And how many of those new fans merely selected the Jaguars based on familiarity instead of a truly vested fandom? 

Again, the difference in what Americans and Brits think of when being a "fan" isn't just pedantics. 

The Aberdeen Roughnecks probably gain a vast majority of support in polls they'd appear in regarding "who is your favorite local American football team". Trust me, that hasn't translated into anything of substance.