College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

Just now, eggybucsfan31 said:

lol true, noon kickoffs for the student section are a no go. Takes them a good hour to show up. 

Yep. The few times I actually got there on time, it was always funny to see all the drunk people stumbling in 5-10 minutes into the first quarter.

Trolling posts aside, I see no way that UCLA is a better job than Florida.

Pro-UCLA posters keep insinuating that their fan base is fair weather. That's not a plus.

Pro-UCLA posters keep talking about a couple specific recruits they've got. You're going to go to a school with a primary reason being  because of one, two, specific high schoolers who haven't proven squat?

There is the argument that it is easier to recruit to UCLA. Is it? USC gets first and inal pickings in California. Florida can easily get first pickings in Florida and some of the south.

People keep saying its stupid to go to the SEC when it's so strong. Besides Georgia, who'd come close to challenging a theoretical Kelly/UF? And Saban's getting older, once he retires, they'd have as good of a shot of leading the SEC. Leading the SEC is far more f a playoff qualifying credential than leading the PAC-12, if either team was one-loss or two-loss.

10 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Pro-UCLA posters keep insinuating that their fan base is fair weather. That's not a plus.

Pro-UCLA posters keep talking about a couple specific recruits they've got. You're going to go to a school with a primary reason being  because of one, two, specific high schoolers who haven't proven squat?

There is the argument that it is easier to recruit to UCLA. Is it? USC gets first and inal pickings in California. Florida can easily get first pickings in Florida and some of the south.

People keep saying its stupid to go to the SEC when it's so strong. Besides Georgia, who'd come close to challenging a theoretical Kelly/UF? And Saban's getting older, once he retires, they'd have as good of a shot of leading the SEC. Leading the SEC is far more f a playoff qualifying credential than leading the PAC-12, if either team was one-loss or two-loss.

Florida is easily the better job, but it's not surprising Kelly preferred UCLA. It is surprising that Kelly insinuated himself in the UF coaching search and agreed to a deal in principle just to jerk Florida around to leverage UCLA for more of what he wanted.

USC will always be the #1 Cali school. However, Helton doesn’t scare anyone. I fully expect Kelly to eventually beat down USC like he used to when he was at Oregon. He’ll get better athletes at UCLA than he ever did at Oregon. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won the Pac-12 within the next 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, RedRider said:

I think this is an indictment of the UF program. They ran McElwain out rather unceremoniously even though he hadn't been a failure. They didn't even give him 3 full years. Unrealistic expectations + very little freedom is not a good look for a program. They lost out on Chip Kelly to UCLA, a program that is DEFINITELY a lower tier job. 

If they land Scott Frost this is probably fine, but I think there's a real chance Frost takes the Nebraska job. 

1 minute ago, ak23 said:

I think this is an indictment of the UF program. They ran McElwain out rather unceremoniously even though he hadn't been a failure. They didn't even give him 3 full years. Unrealistic expectations + very little freedom is not a good look for a program. They lost out on Chip Kelly to UCLA, a program that is DEFINITELY a lower tier job. 

If they land Scott Frost this is probably fine, but I think there's a real chance Frost takes the Nebraska job. 

It's not an indictment of Florida. You don't give McElwain a fourth year when it's clear he's not the guy. That's just dumb. Especially when McElwain is irritating the athletic department.

They lost out on Kelly to a program that better fit him.

Just now, ak23 said:

I won't disagree about the state of the program and the incompetence of the UAA, but McElwain was 100% a failure and deserved to be axed. To say otherwise is just wrong. If anything, Stricklin deserves credit for pulling the trigger on firing McElwain. Foley would have absolutely kept him around and we'd have another season like this next year. 

Frost isn't coming here, he's all Nebraska. At this point, I see us getting Taggart. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It's not an indictment of Florida. You don't give McElwain a fourth year when it's clear he's not the guy. That's just dumb. Especially when McElwain is irritating the athletic department.

They lost out on Kelly to a program that better fit him.

McElwain won two division titles and was fired 6 games into his third season amidst a weird scenario where the UF administration seemed to sell out their coach and borderline imply that McElwain made up death threats. I agree that things weren't where they needed to be, but to think coaches don't care about an administration acting like that isn't true. For someone like Kelly, who definitely wants a lot of control, that will be a deterrent to him taking the job. 

I'm not saying McElwain was the right guy for the job. It just sometimes sets a dangerous precedent and sends an unfortunate signal to other coaches. 

Just now, ak23 said:

McElwain won two division titles and was fired 6 games into his third season amidst a weird scenario where the UF administration seemed to sell out their coach and borderline imply that McElwain made up death threats. I agree that things weren't where they needed to be, but to think coaches don't care about an administration acting like that isn't true. For someone like Kelly, who definitely wants a lot of control, that will be a deterrent to him taking the job. 

I'm not saying McElwain was the right guy for the job. It just sometimes sets a dangerous precedent and sends an unfortunate signal to other coaches. 

Even when he won the division titles, it was apparent he was not a good head coach. He was winning on the backs of talent recruited by Muschamp utilized by his DC Geoff Collins (who was great). When Collins and Muschamp's players left, the team fell apart. Nobody was surprised about that either. I wanted McElwain fired after last year. It was clear he wasn't the guy.

And McElwain only has himself to blame for the death threat fiasco. He's put the university and athletic department on blast multiple times and was a PITA to work with behind the scenes. He deserved less than what he got. We'll be fine. We'll land a quality coaching candidate. Kelly is just a weasel for the way he handled it all.

Why do I keep reading predictions of Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU for TAMU? Do they have delusions of grandeur or something? Why in God’s name would he do that? Don’t get me wrong. I think he’s one of the most overrated coaches in college football and no one would think he was anything if it wasn’t for Jameis. But why would anyone leave FSU for maybe the 7th best job in the SEC?

Archived