Week 6: Packers @ Da Bears: Packers win 24-14! Move to 5-1 and alone on top of the NFC North!

FAH1223

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Douglas looks like he likes to hit.  I thought that he was good enough today.  But I think him being good enough also kind of relies on the Dean Lowrys and Jon Garvins to make some plays, and they did today.  

I mean good enough is about all your going to get using practice squad players and late round draft picks. 

Paul Bretl -   It was just a few months ago that many wanted Lucas Patrick cut in favor of cap savings, but for the second week in a row, we see how valuable it is to have a player of Patrick’s caliber coming off the bench.

Patrick entered the game having allowed no sacks and three pressures in 82 pass-blocking snaps, according to PFF ($$), and he put together another solid performance, even looking much better against the run than what he did a week ago.

Every other team would love to have Patrick as a versatile option off the bench that can fill in when needed.

• Like 1

Ghost, for me it's hard to know what they'd consider pursuing because I don't know the injury evaluations.  Maybe their health evals on Jaire, King, Bakhti, Smith, Smith, and MVS are all good-good-good.  And they anticipate having all of them back at full 100% capacity within weeks, other than Z?  If they project Z back in December, and all the others back before Thanksgiving, then I'm not sure what they'd target in trade.  If it's 2 weeks till trade, and then it takes a couple of weeks minimum to familiarize a new pickup with playbook, maybe that's almost December before a pickup is ready to actually get rolling... but by that time perhaps Bakhti and Jaire and King and Preston and MVS are all fully back in action?  

But maybe it's very different, and MVS's ankle still isn't close to sprint-speed sharp-cut strength; and King is still 6 weeks away from being able to play kinda broken down; ditto Jaire; and Preston will be lucky to be 70% in 12 weeks?  Who knows?  Packers meds and Gute might know, but I sure don't.  

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -   It was just a few months ago that many wanted Lucas Patrick cut in favor of cap savings, but for the second week in a row, we see how valuable it is to have a player of Patrick’s caliber coming off the bench.

Patrick entered the game having allowed no sacks and three pressures in 82 pass-blocking snaps, according to PFF ($$), and he put together another solid performance, even looking much better against the run than what he did a week ago.

Every other team would love to have Patrick as a versatile option off the bench that can fill in when needed.

Most here never wanted Patrick cut and recognized his value to this team as a depth player IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's like two weeks until the trading deadline.  I kind of expect the Packers to be active.  I'm not sure who is going to be available, but I heard the name Kyle Fuller bandied about.  I think he'd be a great fit.  I'd like another Dlineman as well.  Possibly open to  another receiver as well.

I think you're spot on, look where we've been stacking injuries and focus there: OL, DL, DB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I mean good enough is about all your going to get using practice squad players and late round draft picks. 

Considering that's what they have had to "use", not many other teams have that many players who can at least fill in.  Can't expect much more.   

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Most here never wanted Patrick cut and recognized his value to this team as a depth player IMO.

There were some.....when the GM juices were running hot and people cant help themselves....but I likened him to a Lane Taylor kinda player. Not gonna give you anywhere close to All Pro - but will come in handy as a capable filler or bridge over injury gaps.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

For the price, he has tremendous value at guard and center. He had already shown he could start at either position and have at least adequate play. He’s shown it again this season. We have young guys in the wing with perhaps more potential but they are very green and haven’t proven themselves like Patrick. Very glad we’ve had him these past few games and going forward. 

So one thing that I have seen over the last couple games is Tonyan has been HORRIBLE. I think I counted 3 or 4 runs that were killed because he blocked like Jimmy G. IMO he hasn't been a plus in the run game or the pass game. The only thing he seems to be doing right is helping the tackles on double teams on occasion. 

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

Can’t believe Patrick wouldn’t be a better option at RG than Newman (when Myers is healthy). Newman has one bad miscue a game that kills a drive and nearly kills the QB. Patrick couldn’t do better than that?

My thoughts, and I am aware that I could be completely wrong, are that they really see a future for Newman and are letting him get some experience and take his lumps right now over putting him in cold in week 14 and having to ride out from there.  And it isn't like Patrick was playing like a pro-bowl guard earlier in the season either.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My thoughts, and I am aware that I could be completely wrong, are that they really see a future for Newman and are letting him get some experience and take his lumps right now over putting him in cold in week 14 and having to ride out from there.  And it isn't like Patrick was playing like a pro-bowl guard earlier in the season either.  

Maybe, could be a work ethic thing too. 12 mentioned in his postgame PC some sort of sit down he had with Patrick two weeks ago. Not clear what that was about, but that doesn’t strike me as a good sign for the guy. 

15 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Maybe, could be a work ethic thing too. 12 mentioned in his postgame PC some sort of sit down he had with Patrick two weeks ago. Not clear what that was about, but that doesn’t strike me as a good sign for the guy. 

That was cryptic. He also said explicitly that he "has a lot of trust in him", "respects the way he goes about his business" and that he's "a Pro's Pro".  

Maybe the sit down was Patrick venting about riding the bench behind a shaky rookie and Rodgers not going to bat for him. Why else would there be a sit-down with a guy who's not even in the lineup? 

Newman, in what might be record-setting, is on pace to give up 11 sacks. That's red alert. When everyone is healthy, Runyan likely flops to RG permanently, but with Patrick now subbing for the injured Myers, it looks like Newman will be the RG for at least a few more games.