SNF: Bills @ Chiefs

Kmart128

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

I don't think it's schematic. Mahomes was just bad yesterday. Maybe it was the torrential weather, maybe it just wasn't his day, but he missed a ton of throws he normally completes in his sleep. I don't think this is a situation where 30 other teams are like "Oh hey, why didn't we try cover-whatever".

Didnt Mahomes just make a comment about having to face exotic coverages? Something like "no one else in the NFL has to face the coverages we do"?

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Didnt Mahomes just make a comment about having to face exotic coverages? Something like "no one else in the NFL has to face the coverages we do"?

I didn't see that quote, but maybe you're right.

I'm just looking at face value from last night. I feel like the issue wasn't Mahomes throwing into coverage or getting confused, but rather missing open throws into the dirt. Maybe weather, maybe he was just off, or maybe he was so confused by the coverage he just panicked throwing, idk. But one of the picks wasn't his fault and the other was an amazing play by the DL to tip the ball up on a checkdown to an open receiver. I'm just not seeing him getting baited by safeties etc. or just making bad reads with any regularity.

But I will also concede maybe I'm just wrong and maybe there is more going on than I'm seeing. 

On 10/11/2021 at 7:17 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Are there are any Bills fans on here that watch All 22, and post their thoughts?

Really keen to see what specifically they did this week to limit the big plays that KC's Offense thrives on.

Other teams have tried 2 deep shell, Quarters coverage, etc and it just never works. What was it that last night that got the Chiefs so out of wack?

On 10/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, Matts4313 said:

Hahaha!! What a stupid thing to say. I've been a Mahomes fan thus far, despite is idiot brother and girlfriend. But more comments like that and I'll turn on him so fast

On 10/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, SBLIII said:

Mahomes has never played a playoff road game

This is one of those things that everyone knows but no one really thinks about.

The Chiefs were 1, 2, and 1 seeds and Baltimore lost as the 1 before KC in 2019.

Yes, Mahomes has been great. 

Yes, its harder to be great on the road in the playoffs.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, Matts4313 said:

I didn't see the quote, but I doubt he was talking about exotic coverages, he was likely talking more about the insanely conservative nature of the coverages we face. We were blitzed by Buffalo literally zero times. The Ravens had like the lowest blitz rate they've had in years in the game against us this year. There basically is no offensive snap where we don't see, at minimum, two DBs in deep coverage. It's basically non-stop cover 2 and cover 3 zones with a 3 or 4 man pass rush. Some teams throw in a spy on top of that. And it takes away so many of the things Reid loves to do, so much of what Hill and Hardman are suited for, and so many of Mahomes's tendencies. The easiest way for us to counter this is to run the ball more, and we actually have the personnel for it on offense now, with the OL revamp (and they're 5th in YPA and 7th in rushing yards, right now), but the need to score due to our defense makes that strategy less feasible for a full game. We have the most first downs in the NFL right now, despite having the fewest offensive drives. Like, the absurdity of that combination of stats is ridiculous. Your average team has about 105 first downs on around 53 drives, so about 2 first downs per drive. KC has 136 on 46 drives, just short of 3 per drive. Teams are basically giving us a free 5 yards every play on short passes or runs, in exchange for taking away about half of the playbook. And the Chiefs shown the ability to counter this, but when every drive is going to be a 7 first down steady slog to the end zone, as soon as there is one drop or one penalty or one tipped ball or one fumble, it's over. And it isn't the kind of team that can avoid that. Young OL means holdings and false starts. Robinson and Hardman have always had more talent than reliability catching the ball and running routes. We have 2 RB fumbles, 3 tip drill INTs, a botched snap...

I think they'll figure it out. They won't keep averaging a -3 turnover differential, like the last 3 games, just from sheer luck. But I get the frustration, on his part. Borderline can't run screens, Mahomes's scrambling isn't nearly as useful (he can still run for a few yards just about whenever, but the extend the play and have someone outrun their man isn't going to work as well when there isn't a man to outrun), the jet sweeps become pointless, hitting a deep ball requires the opposing safeties to play like Dan Sorensen, etc.

• Like 1