The Future of the Bears Roster Thread

WindyCity

Really tough to say without knowing who will be the HC or what scheme we would run...

Regardless of what scheme it is though I think we will badly need to replace Robinson's size and physicality...Courtland Sutton would make a ton of season and should get out of Denver given their strength in depth at receiver and the fact they have a ton of free agents to resign...Mike Williams from the Chargers & DJ Chalk from Jax if healthy would be interesting as well...cheaper options would be a guy like Michael Gallup, Tim Patrick or Zach Pascal...if we felt good about some bigger receivers in the draft then Christian Kirk would be a quality versatile pick up as well...

I think think we would draft a scheme specific guy with one of our first few picks...be that a speedy outside receiver, another big receiver or someone to run the Jet out of the slot...lots of good options at receiver in this draft but it will depend on scheme...

I would have no problem bringing back Goodwin & Byrd as depth as I think Goodwin's speed is still a threat when used right and Byrd has been really underused as a slot receiver...I would also resign Grant as a returner and kick Newsome off the team in place of a bigger late round pick/UDFA who brings traits...

1. Mooney

2. FA receiver (Sutton)

3. Higher round draft pick.

4. Goodwin

5. Byrd

6. Trait bigger WR/UDFA

7. Grant

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am genuinely interested in what your ideal WR core would be moving forward if Robinson leaves in the offseason.

I doubt he is going to be back or that the Bears will pay him what he wants.

1. Mooney

6. Dazz Newsome

Can Bears put tag on him where they can match his FA offer if they choose? Not sure rules on that sine they just franchise tagged him.

I think he isn’t going to get as much as he thinks because he doesn’t separate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Can Bears put tag on him where they can match his FA offer if they choose? Not sure rules on that sine they just franchise tagged him.

I think he isn’t going to get as much as he thinks because he doesn’t separate.  

They can but the cost of his tag will be 120% of his 2021 salary which rounded off is $17.9 mil x 120% = $21.5 mil.  IMHO they're not gonna pay him that kind of money but what I can't figure out is why they haven't been able to come to a compromise of some sort of an amount close to $18 mil.

$18 mil average annual salary puts him in the top ten.  $16 mil puts him in the top 15.  So where does he slot?

From what's been reported the Bears offers have been more in that $16 mil range.  That might be a little on the light side but as a UFA I don't believe anyone will offer him the $20 mil he'd probably like to get and guys like Allen and Cooper are getting.

I would prefer we extend him but I think that's a moot point now.  It seems pretty obvious Pace is looking at Mooney to become a #1 WR while I have my doubts Mooney can handle 100 plus catches a year.  I suppose ARob will either be trade bait closer to the deadline or Pace allows him to shop himself in FA next spring.  They aren't gonna pay him $20 mil per year.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

They can but the cost of his tag will be 120% of his 2021 salary which rounded off is $17.9 mil x 120% = $21.5 mil.  IMHO they're not gonna pay him that kind of money but what I can't figure out is why they haven't been able to come to a compromise of some sort of an amount close to $18 mil.

$18 mil average annual salary puts him in the top ten.  $16 mil puts him in the top 15.  So where does he slot?

From what's been reported the Bears offers have been more in that $16 mil range.  That might be a little on the light side but as a UFA I don't believe anyone will offer him the $20 mil he'd probably like to get and guys like Allen and Cooper are getting.

I would prefer we extend him but I think that's a moot point now.  It seems pretty obvious Pace is looking at Mooney to become a #1 WR while I have my doubts Mooney can handle 100 plus catches a year.  I suppose ARob will either be trade bait closer to the deadline or Pace allows him to shop himself in FA next spring.  They aren't gonna pay him $20 mil per year.

I meant not using franchise tag.  I think it is transition tag or something, where you simply have right to match an offer. 

Bears did it with that one WR who got hurt and ended up signing in NO.   Forget his name.   Also Fuller and had to match GBs offer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I meant not using franchise tag.  I think it is transition tag or something, where you simply have right to match an offer. 

Bears did it with that one WR who got hurt and ended up signing in NO.   Forget his name.   Also Fuller and had to match GBs offer. 

It's the same deal though.  It's always the higher of the tag value or 120% of the players previous years salary.

One similarity between the franchise tag and transition tag is the calculation for players with a high prior-year salary. If 120 percent of the player’s prior year’s salary is higher than the number calculated above, that figure is used to determine the player’s salary under the tags — the transition tag will take the larger of the two numbers.

Since a transition tag gets you no compensation if you don't match an offer and a non-exclusive tag does if Pace plans to tag him again he might as well use the latter and give himself as much leverage as he can.  Or.....trade him this year if he can get an offer he likes.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, WindyCity said:

I am genuinely interested in what your ideal WR core would be moving forward if Robinson leaves in the offseason.

I doubt he is going to be back or that the Bears will pay him what he wants.

1. Mooney

6. Dazz Newsome

I think we'll end up keeping one of Goodwin/Byrd on some kind of shorter deal.... Right now I'd lean towards Goodwin, but our WRs have been pretty atrocious as a whole this year..... The stat I read today was something like Fields' receivers have been "open" a league bottom 32% of the time he's thrown to them, with the next closest bottom feeder team still being above 40%.  The conversation gets a bit different if Cohen ever returns, since he's a 1/2 WR (which based on rumors regarding his knee he might just be done)

We're gonna end up with at least one drafted WR, and likely a higher end FA  one as well.

I'd also add, I don't think we're a super desirable spot to come to in FA..... Our WR usage is way below our WR talent level, even when accounting for an up and coming rookie...... and the questionmarks at coaching.

Ideal?

1. Sutton

2. Mooney

3. Chark (hope his injuries drop the price)

4. Goodwin

5. Byrd

6. Newsome

Offers some versatility. Sutton and Chark can fight press and challenge all three levels of the field. Mooney is developing but slight. Goodwin and Byrd are your deep threats to rotate, and Newsome is the slot guy that hopefully can be the discount Welker/Edleman kind of guy. 

I'd like to put more resources there but I'd rather focus on OL, CB, and TE (assuming Horsted doesn't develop significantly).

Just throwing this out there. I see everyone looking at free agents, but the Giants are going to give us a high end 2nd round pick, so how about drafting a replacement WR that best compliments Mooney to help Fields in the future?

In the event we lose Arob, Fields targets would like this in 2022; Monty, Kmet, Mooney, ROOKIE WR , Dazz in the slot (can stretch the field and can be versatile but we haven't seen him yet).

I would NOT be okay with that IMO. I like Mooney and all, but he's barely a #2 in this league, much less ready to become a #1 at this stage.

We also may have to draft a future RT or LT if the current and/or future staff wanna keep Jenkins at his natural position RT (like he played in college) and draft an LT as the future.

We have 4 years to build around Fields and 2022 will be his 2nd season of those 4.

So do we go OL in the 2nd round to better protect Fields in the future? Or do we trust the FO at WR in later rounds and give him better targets for the future? Or Option 3) Do we get brash and move up to the late 1st round to get one or the other and continue to push draft capital down the pipeline?

IMO, I'm honestly torn on this. I value the OL position more than I do the WR position, and I trust Castillo to be able to make lemons out of lemonade (only based on last year), But I also trust Pace to find a good WR in later rounds.

IMO, I think we should do whatever it takes to surround Fields with the best talent available to succeed and that starts up front IMO. Go with OL in the 2nd and hope like hell Pace can pull another WR out of his butt in mid-rounds.

All in all though........the FO really messed up with Arob by not extending him last year. It would've been cheaper than it's going to be now in the offseason. Especially since now he has the option to test the field and possibly go to a SB team. Even if it means a taking 19 a year per instead of 22.

I would've been more than okay with Fields having Monty--Kmet--Arob--Mooney--2nd rnd pick--DAZZ to throw to in 2022 but here we are......

51 minutes ago, WindyCity said:
Justin Fields (32%) has the lowest percentage of passes to a receiver deemed open or wide open among 37 QBs with 25+ passes (PFF). No other QB is under 40%.

Tough sledding.

Remember when people were saying MT was overrated because Nagy schemes wide open players all the time?  PFF used to say this all the time in 2018.  

How quickly things can change.

• Like 1