Jump to content

The Future of the Bears Roster Thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:
Justin Fields (32%) has the lowest percentage of passes to a receiver deemed open or wide open among 37 QBs with 25+ passes (PFF). No other QB is under 40%.

 

 

I still have to wonder how much of this is scheme based...teams still know to just sit on routes because we just don't throw the ball deep enough to back these guys up...if anything we need Fields to go off on one and have over 300 yards...until we let him turn it loose teams will still take their chances of stopping us in the quick passing game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I still have to wonder how much of this is scheme based...teams still know to just sit on routes because we just don't throw the ball deep enough to back these guys up...if anything we need Fields to go off on one and have over 300 yards...until we let him turn it loose teams will still take their chances of stopping us in the quick passing game.

I`ll concede I don't catch enough detail while watch games to tell for sure but didn't we use that game plan in the LA game?  Granted Dalton was the QB but making the quick read and getting the ball out fast was what Fields struggles with.  Do you really think he's ready for that on a regular bases?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bfan said:

I`ll concede I don't catch enough detail while watch games to tell for sure but didn't we use that game plan in the LA game?  Granted Dalton was the QB but making the quick read and getting the ball out fast was what Fields struggles with.  Do you really think he's ready for that on a regular bases?

That's exactly the plan we used against the Rams...never attempted a pass longer than 16 yards...you do that and you make it easy for a DB...I think Fields is ready to do more especially off of play action...the McVay/Shanahan aspects of this offence are working really well and fits Fields to a tee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

That's exactly the plan we used against the Rams...never attempted a pass longer than 16 yards...you do that and you make it easy for a DB...I think Fields is ready to do more especially off of play action...the McVay/Shanahan aspects of this offence are working really well and fits Fields to a tee.

But don't you need more people running routes for that to work and more time to get deep? With more people in the patern that means fewer people to block and I haven't noticed that kind of improvement in the pass blocking.  I like the idea of slipping it in occasionally to test the waters but not to just "cut him loose" not yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bfan said:

But don't you need more people running routes for that to work and more time to get deep? With more people in the patern that means fewer people to block and I haven't noticed that kind of improvement in the pass blocking.  I like the idea of slipping it in occasionally to test the waters but not to just "cut him loose" not yet.

Fields has only been sacked 3 times in the last two games...the OL has played much better because we are allowing them to run block and setting everything up off that outside zone play action.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I still have to wonder how much of this is scheme based...teams still know to just sit on routes because we just don't throw the ball deep enough to back these guys up...if anything we need Fields to go off on one and have over 300 yards...until we let him turn it loose teams will still take their chances of stopping us in the quick passing game.

It is also that Robinson is routinely among the WRs in the league with the least seperation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I still have to wonder how much of this is scheme based...teams still know to just sit on routes because we just don't throw the ball deep enough to back these guys up...if anything we need Fields to go off on one and have over 300 yards...until we let him turn it loose teams will still take their chances of stopping us in the quick passing game.

I think it has to with scheme. You're correct that Fields has only been sacked 3 times in the last two weeks, but that and the lack of separation are tightly correlated IMO. Being so quick to pass lets defenders squat on routes and also gives the WRs less time to find a zone or beat their guy, but it also protects Fields from getting beat down. Fields being so athletic is a big reason for that as well.

 

Lazor likely wants to keep Fields clean to prevent losing the playcalling duties. CLE being a massive aberration caused it, but even with the few sacks the last two weeks we still have the highest sack percentage in the NFL at 13% of our dropbacks. We also have the lowest percentage of passes that result in a first down too at only 41%. You would think between the good run game and shorter (meaning hopefully higher completion rate) that would be higher. Compound that by the fact we have the lowest number of first downs...

 

Just bad. lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

 

 

We are throwing deep with Fields at the highest percentage in the league... outside of Mooney.. our guys do not seperate.

Every time I see Justin Fields and Russell Wilson's names together I can't help but see the same kind of skill set in a bigger package...I can't describe how much I would love for a true WCO here rather than Lazor/Nagy's mutated version...Fields is just a perfect fit for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Every time I see Justin Fields and Russell Wilson's names together I can't help but see the same kind of skill set in a bigger package...I can't describe how much I would love for a true WCO here rather than Lazor/Nagy's mutated version...Fields is just a perfect fit for it.

It's good that we didn't sell future for a few years of Russell Wilson on mediocre teams without draft picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson is getting open but between; the heavy scheme, not passing alot, Fields not seeing him and/or not having enough time, and Mooney being open when he is....this isn't going to show up on the stat sheet.

For example; the long pass to Mooney (that Fields threw too high) against Detroit when he was wide open....Robinson was open for 6 pts. Fields just didn't have the time in the pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In his three previous seasons ARob as a total of 255 receptions for 3151 yards/12.4 ypc./17 tds.  WRs who never get open don't put up those kind of numbers so I'm not certain why it's even a matter for debate.  Without him we'd have had even less offense.

So Nagy and Pace get this idea to sign faster "Smurf" type WRs believing that would help open up the offense.  How's that worked so far?

Damiere Byrd:  3 catches/19 yards/6.3 ypc  (all in game one)

Marquise Goodwin: 6 catches/63 yards/10.5 ypc (four of those in game one)

Allen Robinson: 17 catches/181 yards/10.7 ypc/1 td (3.4 receptions per game)

Someone tell me, what sense does it make to have two 4.2-4.3/40 type WR and never use them and yet Pace won't find a point of compromise to extend his best WR?  I like Mooney but at 170lbs I have serious doubts he'll ever become a #1 WR catching 100 or more balls per year.  It's like both Pace and Nagy live in their imaginations of what they'd like the Bears to be instead of who they are.

If Pace is dead set against signing ARob then he should trade him before the deadline and shop FA and the draft for another #1 WR.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soulman said:

In his three previous seasons ARob as a total of 255 receptions for 3151 yards/12.4 ypc./17 tds.  WRs who never get open don't put up those kind of numbers so I'm not certain why it's even a matter for debate.  Without him we'd have had even less offense.

So Nagy and Pace get this idea to sign faster "Smurf" type WRs believing that would help open up the offense.  How's that worked so far?

Damiere Byrd:  3 catches/19 yards/6.3 ypc  (all in game one)

Marquise Goodwin: 6 catches/63 yards/10.5 ypc (four of those in game one)

Allen Robinson: 17 catches/181 yards/10.7 ypc/1 td (3.4 receptions per game)

Someone tell me, what sense does it make to have two 4.2-4.3/40 type WR and never use them and yet Pace won't find a point of compromise to extend his best WR?  I like Mooney but at 170lbs I have serious doubts he'll ever become a #1 WR catching 100 or more balls per year.  It's like both Pace and Nagy live in their imaginations of what they'd like the Bears to be instead of who they are.

If Pace is dead set against signing ARob then he should trade him before the deadline and shop FA and the draft for another #1 WR.

I think they're using them, they are just not compplemented well by having an OL that can run block but not give a lot of time for them to get downfield. Mooney's kind of a freak in that he's fast, quick and seems to have a knack for getting in Fields vision.  Over and over again I keep wondering what this season would look like with better tackles. Imagine our defense which is al ot better than anyone thought it would be, with Montgomery, Fields, and even a middle tier OL and maybe this year isn't just about watching Fields develop. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...