Jump to content

The Future of the Bears Roster Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think they're using them, they are just not compplemented well by having an OL that can run block but not give a lot of time for them to get downfield. Mooney's kind of a freak in that he's fast, quick and seems to have a knack for getting in Fields vision.  Over and over again I keep wondering what this season would look like with better tackles. Imagine our defense which is al ot better than anyone thought it would be, with Montgomery, Fields, and even a middle tier OL and maybe this year isn't just about watching Fields develop. 

I think we can safely assume that both Byrd and Goodwin are fast and quick as well but it's ARob alone whose more than doubled their production so far.  I can't seem to find a reason why both can't run similar routes to those Mooney is running so what's the real reason neither of them are producing much?

I hear more excuses than legitimate reasons coming from Nagy all the time and I seriously question how intelligent his use of his offensive personnel is and has been throughout his tenure as HC.  We've wasted a lot of money trying to supply him with players he wants yet when we get them they seem woefully under used.

For example.  After having spent our top 2020 draft pick on a TE and after both James and Horsted having shown their capabilities as receivers this summer why is Jimmy Graham and his 1 catch for 11 yards through 5 games along with his $7 mil salary still around?  Byrd and Goodwin combined are only costing us $2.34 mil but 82 yards total through 5 games?  Only 9 ypc and zero TDs?

Those three receivers are costing is $9.34 mil and through 5 games (29% of the entire season)  they have 10 catches for a total of 93 yards.  That three receivers with roughly half the production of ARob.  Tell me where that makes any sense?  What kind of threat do these three pose other teams would need to game plan for?

These are not singularly bad decisions either.  Year after year we've spent money on non-productive offensive players at WR and TE yet somehow Matt Nagy, Ryan Pace, or both insist that we need them.  Sorry brother but I can't buy into that any longer or that we can't protect Fields well enough to get some use out of his arm and accuracy coupled with the downfield threat Byrd and Goodwin might offer.

In order to score 30 points per game we need explosive plays.  Plays you don't get running the ball 4-6 yards at a crack.  Those are important as well but not as a complete substitute for 30-40 yard pass completions that end in 6-7 play scoring drives vs 12-13 play scoring drives.  Not when the other team is hanging 30 points or more on you because they can score more quickly.

The next four games will tell us a lot about who we really are as a team on both offense and defense.  The first 5 games were the "tune ups" for this part of the schedule.  We'll be 9 games into the season when we hit our bye week.  What's an acceptable amount of offensive output through 9 games?  What's an acceptable W/L record?  Will the first half be an accurate predictor of the second half?

Edited by soulman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, WindyCity said:

It is also that Robinson is routinely among the WRs in the league with the least seperation.

And yet he's been catching 100 passes a year from the likes of Mitch Trubisky, Nick Foles, and Chase Daniels.  65% of his 2019-20 targets are receptions. Does that mean that "separation" is a highly over rated stat?  Seems to me that if you throw to him he usually comes down with the ball.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think Mooney is special with his moves and smarts, you can be fast and turn quickly but he picks his spots and seems to do a good job selling it too.  Pretty sure some of the other guys would win a track meet but Mooney is crafty. Kinda like Robinson seemed to be, no idea what's going on with him lately as this should be his golden hour.  Seasons not even a third done, hopefully he and Fields* can develop more of a connection. 

 

*Almost wrote "Mitch" and then didn't have to and man it felt so good. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really think Mooney is special with his moves and smarts, you can be fast and turn quickly but he picks his spots and seems to do a good job selling it too.  Pretty sure some of the other guys would win a track meet but Mooney is crafty. Kinda like Robinson seemed to be, no idea what's going on with him lately as this should be his golden hour.  Seasons not even a third done, hopefully he and Fields* can develop more of a connection. 

 

*Almost wrote "Mitch" and then didn't have to and man it felt so good. 

Mooney is a real find and it's easy to see why coaches and scouts were pounding the table for the guy in the 5th round.  He has some very special tools but does anyone believe a 5'11"/170-175 lb WR can hold up as a #1 catching 100 passes a year for multiple years.  That's a huge risk.

ARob doesn't have Mooney's speed but he has other tools.  He's more like a very productive possession type WR you want as your go to guy anytime you need a must have connection to keep a drive alive.  He's a guy you can throw to and trust he'll make the catch.

Seems to me that along with a good receiving TE and a speedy slot guy those four would make an ideal receiver core for this team.  So why aren't we getting more production from those positions now?  This would seem to be how we need to get Fields the targets he needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at some options for Bears making a trade before the deadline and basically everyone has us moving A-Rob out for a 2nd round pick...but what about this...A-Rob to Cleveland for OBJ? There is a clear disconnect between Mayfield & OBJ and he has no guaranteed money left on his deal after this season so he will more than likely become a free agent and could want to given how unhappy he is with the situation...his cap hit would be $15 million for the next two years which isn't a lot at all compared to what we would need to pay Robinson...it would be a bold move but that would add a real threat outside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I was looking at some options for Bears making a trade before the deadline and basically everyone has us moving A-Rob out for a 2nd round pick...but what about this...A-Rob to Cleveland for OBJ? There is a clear disconnect between Mayfield & OBJ and he has no guaranteed money left on his deal after this season so he will more than likely become a free agent and could want to given how unhappy he is with the situation...his cap hit would be $15 million for the next two years which isn't a lot at all compared to what we would need to pay Robinson...it would be a bold move but that would add a real threat outside.

I'd take it. ARob hasn't been able to get his extension ams I think he is done with Chicago. OBJ has concerns but is still a really talented WR and his contract situation is far easier to work around - barring some potential holdout.

It also gives ARob the chance for a playoff run he has only had for one season in his career. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, soulman said:

Mooney is a real find and it's easy to see why coaches and scouts were pounding the table for the guy in the 5th round.  He has some very special tools but does anyone believe a 5'11"/170-175 lb WR can hold up as a #1 catching 100 passes a year for multiple years.  That's a huge risk.

ARob doesn't have Mooney's speed but he has other tools.  He's more like a very productive possession type WR you want as your go to guy anytime you need a must have connection to keep a drive alive.  He's a guy you can throw to and trust he'll make the catch.

Seems to me that along with a good receiving TE and a speedy slot guy those four would make an ideal receiver core for this team.  So why aren't we getting more production from those positions now?  This would seem to be how we need to get Fields the targets he needs.

It was probably one guy pounding table.  And honestly there is a bit of luck involved in way he has turned out.  A lot of other guys people pounded table for have not worked out.  

But credit where credit is due.   That was a great pick for value and credit to Pace for listening to someone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was looking at some options for Bears making a trade before the deadline and basically everyone has us moving A-Rob out for a 2nd round pick...but what about this...A-Rob to Cleveland for OBJ? There is a clear disconnect between Mayfield & OBJ and he has no guaranteed money left on his deal after this season so he will more than likely become a free agent and could want to given how unhappy he is with the situation...his cap hit would be $15 million for the next two years which isn't a lot at all compared to what we would need to pay Robinson...it would be a bold move but that would add a real threat outside.

Isn't Robinson a lot like Jarvis Landry, though? I'm not sure that would be the right move for Cleveland. I'd be happy with it, but not sure it's possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Isn't Robinson a lot like Jarvis Landry, though? I'm not sure that would be the right move for Cleveland. I'd be happy with it, but not sure it's possible. 

Not really no...Landry is a slot guy...Robinson plays pretty exclusively on the outside...not only that Robinson has shown he can get deep if the offence allows...we saw that alot in Jacksonville...especially when he averaged 17.5ypc on 80 balls in 2015.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually liked the hypothetical Jaelen Raegor for Robinson a bit more than OBJ for Robinson deals that have been floating around recently.

With Cohen out and potentially never being back, we don't really have a shifty-YAC guy right now..... Also he's younger and not washed up.... Admittedly WAAAAAAAY less proven than OBJ, but imo better potential going forward and cheaper.

That said, just getting a draft pick outright for Robinson might be my overall preferred option right now, as I'd have more faith in a draft pick than Raegor turning his career around here..... If Robinson was still producing like he wanted to be here, I'd still be on the resign/extend him train, but frankly his complete and total contempt for blocking or playing hard so far this year has me wanting him gone. Even Jimmy Graham has throw  a block with effort this year......Also, don't trade him to a playoff team, unless they're overpaying....Trade him to the Jets for intentionally sabotaging our team this year to try and force his way out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, soulman said:

And yet he's been catching 100 passes a year from the likes of Mitch Trubisky, Nick Foles, and Chase Daniels.  65% of his 2019-20 targets are receptions. Does that mean that "separation" is a highly over rated stat?  Seems to me that if you throw to him he usually comes down with the ball.

That is commendable.

But catching 100 contested 5-8 yard hooks is neither productive or impressive.

He was 59th in yards per catch, 57th in yards per target, and still only 98th in catch percentage.

The Bears throw a ton of short, contested passes to Robinson that he catches and generates next to no YAC. That model is why the offense sucks.

 

Edited by WindyCity
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was looking at some options for Bears making a trade before the deadline and basically everyone has us moving A-Rob out for a 2nd round pick...but what about this...A-Rob to Cleveland for OBJ? There is a clear disconnect between Mayfield & OBJ and he has no guaranteed money left on his deal after this season so he will more than likely become a free agent and could want to given how unhappy he is with the situation...his cap hit would be $15 million for the next two years which isn't a lot at all compared to what we would need to pay Robinson...it would be a bold move but that would add a real threat outside.

Done. Give me the more dynamic player on a 15/season deal with no guarantees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Not really no...Landry is a slot guy...Robinson plays pretty exclusively on the outside...not only that Robinson has shown he can get deep if the offence allows...we saw that alot in Jacksonville...especially when he averaged 17.5ypc on 80 balls in 2015.

Pre ACL.

I don’t think we have ever really seen that deep jump ball dominator that he was before the injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OBJ would be a significant downgrade from Arob. This isn't 2016 anymore.

If Arob doesn't wanna be here (which I don't think he does) then let him walk and target someone in the draft or free agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pre ACL.

I don’t think we have ever really seen that deep jump ball dominator that he was before the injury.

I don't think tye ACL has ever looked that big an issue...I just think we never really ask him to run deep consistently enough under Nagy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...