The Future of the Bears Roster Thread

WindyCity

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

OBJ would be a significant downgrade from Arob. This isn't 2016 anymore.

If Arob doesn't wanna be here (which I don't think he does) then let him walk and target someone in the draft or free agency.

I disagree that it is a significant downgrade...I think both have their strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other...OBJ is still getting open alot in Cleveland...just for whatever reason Mayfield seems to never look his way.

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears throw a ton of short, contested passes to Robinson that he catches and generates next to no YAC. That model is why the offense sucks.

Not entirely Robinson's fault--or proof of a lack of talent downfield. I'm not claiming he's a burner, by any stretch, but if Fields can ever really get going, we'll see better production from Robinson. That being said, I'm not going to cry if we can get a first round pick from a playoff bound team for him...

On 10/16/2021 at 7:01 AM, Madmike90 said:

I was looking at some options for Bears making a trade before the deadline and basically everyone has us moving A-Rob out for a 2nd round pick...but what about this...A-Rob to Cleveland for OBJ? There is a clear disconnect between Mayfield & OBJ and he has no guaranteed money left on his deal after this season so he will more than likely become a free agent and could want to given how unhappy he is with the situation...his cap hit would be $15 million for the next two years which isn't a lot at all compared to what we would need to pay Robinson...it would be a bold move but that would add a real threat outside.

i haven't been on this board in a few days, but i had this exact same thought this morning when walking my dog. it's pretty clear that robinson just isn't worth $20+/year. i started going down the list of teams that might be "going for it" and would take a WR, allowing us to get a pick this year as opposed to a potential comp next year. 

Top teams not needing WRs: boys, bucs, rams, cards, bills, kc, lac, bengals, ravens (the might need one, but don't do these trades), browns

now, the browns are unlike the other teams, because there was rumors they were looking to trade obj this past offseason. they have a little bit of cap trouble, and have a potential contract coming for baker. obj/robinson are fairly similar talent wise, but obj has that money still on his contract. by making this trade, cleveland clears their books for the next 2 years, don't have to give up a draft asset, and can potentially recoup a pick if robinson walks. bears get obj at a good rate for 2 more years and can use their top picks for a new CB and C. 

idk about reagor for robinson. has anyone watched reagor play the last two years? it's not great. he is what people thought dk was coming out. fast, but can't turn at all

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Cody Whitehair has been pretty bad this season. Not sure what the Bears can do about it, but he was bad yesterday.

Overrated player.  Aside from some flashes in his first couple seasons he hasn't overly impressed.  These guys need to be better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Cody Whitehair has been pretty bad this season. Not sure what the Bears can do about it, but he was bad yesterday.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Overrated player.  Aside from some flashes in his first couple seasons he hasn't overly impressed.  These guys need to be better

I think on Whitehair we really need to make a decision on scheme and position...either go full on zone and keep him at LG...

Or and this is the projection...bring in Daboll...go that more power zone based scheme that they like to run dependent on the back and move him to centre then build a wall around him...Jenkins at LT...draft a guy like Thayer Munford at LG...Whitehair practices his snapping all offseason at C...move on from Daniels who you will never get the best out of if it's not an out and out zone scheme...move Ifedi inside to RG and have Borom at RT then use the fact you have the athletic upside of five guys who have played OT to have a scheme that can do both power and zone like Buffalo are doing right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Or and this is the projection...bring in Daboll...go that more power zone based scheme that they like to run dependent on the back and move him to centre then build a wall around him...Jenkins at LT...draft a guy like Thayer Munford at LG...Whitehair practices his snapping all offseason at C...move on from Daniels who you will never get the best out of if it's not an out and out zone scheme...move Ifedi inside to RG and have Borom at RT then use the fact you have the athletic upside of five guys who have played OT to have a scheme that can do both power and zone like Buffalo are doing right now.

this is cool but i really want to see if borom can actually play LT, then leave both our rookies at the position they played in college

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Jenkins & Borom really would just play it out to find out who does what better.

Hell they might even prefer to stay at their college positions too, who knows? I don't differentiate between the tackles anymore. This isn't the 80s where the LT and RE is a battle of best-on-best. DCs move their best passrushers and run stunts regularly now, so you essentially need two "left tackles" out there.

If we are looking at the old traditional skillset then I want two LTs on the outside and three RTs on the inside. Get big. strong, mean athletes and you have 5 guys who can play in (varying amounts of) space.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hell they might even prefer to stay at their college positions too, who knows? I don't differentiate between the tackles anymore. This isn't the 80s where the LT and RE is a battle of best-on-best. DCs move their best passrushers and run stunts regularly now, so you essentially need two "left tackles" out there.

If we are looking at the old traditional skillset then I want two LTs on the outside and three RTs on the inside. Get big. strong, mean athletes and you have 5 guys who can play in (varying amounts of) space.

Yes sir. The game has evolved tremendously over the years.  The days of protecting a QBs "blindside" and prioritizing the LT spot over the RT position has been long gone since QB's have become more athletic and versatile and offensive play calling have become creative or diverse to make better use of it than they have ever have been.

And in turn, defenses have made adjustments to counter it. The days of "putting your best rusher on the blind side" are also long gone as well.

In today's era, you need 2 good OT's on offense and 2 good pass rushers on defenses to have an effective unit. That's just the way it is.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

Bears HC Matt Nagy asked if Tarik Cohen is close to returning: "You know, I think that he's very similar to where he's been at. The only thing I can say is that he works hard, I see him every single day, he's trying to do everything he can, so I just appreciate him." #Bears

Time to move on.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Bears HC Matt Nagy asked if Tarik Cohen is close to returning: "You know, I think that he's very similar to where he's been at. The only thing I can say is that he works hard, I see him every single day, he's trying to do everything he can, so I just appreciate him." #Bears

Time to move on.

From him and Nagy. We can appreciate him when he's gone too. 

• Like 1

I feel bad for Cohen... dude just isn't responding well from his surgery. The Bears' sideline reporter mentioned that last week was the first time he saw Cohen moving/walking without stiffness or a limp.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I feel bad for Cohen... dude just isn't responding well from his surgery. The Bears' sideline reporter mentioned that last week was the first time he saw Cohen moving/walking without stiffness or a limp.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.

Took me three ACL reconstructions (first was patella tendon, next two were from cadavers) before my knee was right. Granted I did damage to the MCL and LCL so only my PCL was in good shape, so the last surgery they had to do some extra work and scar tissue removal.

I'd wager his surgeon was better than my first one, Dr Derhake is a bad mofo though. He absolutely was on par with whoever these guys see, he was contracted by the Miami Heat for years. After he worked on it I had range I had not had since high school.

• Like 1