Week 5 Overreactions: The "Has the NFL figured out Patrick Mahomes?" Edition

AFlaccoSeagulls

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Joe Burrow won’t survive till his first big contract. The Bengals not getting him an OL is getting him seriously hurt. He suffered a bad knee injury last season and this season he already got a throat contusion. He is constantly being hit and when you are in a division with the TJ Watt and Myles Garrett you better have great protection. I just fear for my guy Burrow but at this rate I think he might not survive his first big contract with the Bengals. He won’t do it but I hope he asks for a trade after next season. I’d give the Bengals FO one more offseason to see if they can put a great OL in front of Burrow. If they don’t if I was Burrow I’d ask to be traded. 

I won’t say the Bengals OL is great, but they are much improved from last year. A lot of the sacks this year have been on the RB pass protector. We let Gio Bernard go (who was arguably the best in the league). Also Joe has been holding onto the ball too long looking for the big play downfield. He also took shots yesterday when he was scrambling trying to dive for first downs instead of sliding. So to the fan who doesn’t actually watch it looks like his OL is really bad, but in reality they are getting closer to league average. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

It's 100% the chick.

He's been with her 8 flipping years...   since he was 18.  And she's so standard looking...  Dude is an MVP level QB...  Superbowl winner...   He should have a Gisselle, instead he's got a bush hog of a missus.

I refuse to believe that this doesn't play on his mind...  he would have a QBR of 80+ if he got rid of her...  straight up facts.

I forgot who you were, just that I opened this thead and there the message was: "You have chosen to ignore this user".... Curious as to who the hell you are, I clicked "read this post".

Now I remember who you are. You also said something stupid like this about Dak.

It’s somewhat disingenuous of me to repeat this today, after the game last night, and also to put it in the overreactions thread, but here goes:

The Chiefs will not win another Super Bowl. 

I gave that preamble because it has nothing to do with the game last night. Winning the league is f’n hard. I remember when Rodgers and the Packers were going to go on this run and possibly rival the Patriots dynasty, and then they didn’t. Units are going to regress, bad drafts are going to happen, a ball is going to bounce left instead of right, and a bunch of other things. 

I dont think its Mahomes overrated. I just think he is having to finally face adversity he never really was given. He had a solid oline and weapons on offense when he stepped in after sitting out his rookie year. Now that the defense has been so bad the pressure of the offense consistently having to put up high numbers in order to stay in games is going to cause more turnovers. KC will be a top 5 team in the AFC for the next few years, with Bills, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, and Titans (weak division) with Raiders and Bengals as potential threats for the next couple of years. These 5 will be discussed a lot as AFC contenders to go to the AFCCG.

19 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

The Chiefs will not win another Super Bowl. 

It’s hard to win a Superbowl. If it wasn’t for BOB being so bad the Texans blew a 24pt lead and then Jimmy G couldn’t hold a 10pt lead with 7 minutes in the 4th Q of the Superbowl the Chiefs still wouldn’t have a Superbowl win with Reid and Mahomes. A lot had to happen right for the Chiefs just to win that one. In the same way a lot had to go right for the Bucs to win last season. I strongly feel if the Chiefs OL wasn’t decimated with injuries in the Superbowl they beat the Bucs. Why? Bc this is the same Bucs pass rush who barely can get any pressure on teams this season who have healthier OL.

Point is nothing is a lock either way. The NFL is about parity. The playoffs is one and done. It’s not the NBA where if you have a LeBron, Giannis, KD, Steph and pair them with another superstar or star you can win one, two, or three rings quickly. So the Chiefs might not win another ring wink Reid and Mahomes. It might take them years to win another one. They could win another one soon. It takes some luck and capitalizing in the moment. This doesn’t feel like the Chiefs year but as long as they have Reid and Mahomes in the playoffs they always will have a great shot. I just don’t trust their defense especially on the road in the playoffs against great teams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont think its Mahomes overrated. I just think he is having to finally face adversity he never really was given. He had a solid oline and weapons on offense when he stepped in after sitting out his rookie year. Now that the defense has been so bad the pressure of the offense consistently having to put up high numbers in order to stay in games is going to cause more turnovers. KC will be a top 5 team in the AFC for the next few years, with Bills, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, and Titans (weak division) with Raiders and Bengals as potential threats for the next couple of years. These 5 will be discussed a lot as AFC contenders to go to the AFCCG.

I don't necessarily disagree but landscapes also change fast.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Five games in, Culley is gaining on him. 

I mean, Culley walked into a dumpster fire of a roster and star QB out in the wind.

That being said, definitely a head scratching hire from the start.

Edited by RUGmen

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It’s hard to win a Superbowl. If it wasn’t for BOB being so bad the Texans blew a 24pt lead and then Jimmy G couldn’t hold a 10pt lead with 7 minutes in the 4th Q of the Superbowl the Chiefs still wouldn’t have a Superbowl win with Reid and Mahomes. A lot had to happen right for the Chiefs just to win that one. In the same way a lot had to go right for the Bucs to win last season. I strongly feel if the Chiefs OL wasn’t decimated with injuries in the Superbowl they beat the Bucs. Why? Bc this is the same Bucs pass rush who barely can get any pressure on teams this season who have healthier OL.

Point is nothing is a lock either way. The NFL is about parity. The playoffs is one and done. It’s not the NBA where if you have a LeBron, Giannis, KD, Steph and pair them with another superstar or star you can win one, two, or three rings quickly. So the Chiefs might not win another ring wink Reid and Mahomes. It might take them years to win another one. They could win another one soon. It takes some luck and capitalizing in the moment. This doesn’t feel like the Chiefs year but as long as they have Reid and Mahomes in the playoffs they always will have a great shot. I just don’t trust their defense especially on the road in the playoffs against great teams. 

It seems everyone finally realizes that cap hits matter. If your QB is going to take up 35-40 million, it's going to be difficult to win a SB, if not impossible. 

Mahomes is in his last year of a low cap hit, so they should be better but KC ignored the defense and is too top heavy.

Josh Allen and the Bills have now a 2 year window until his cap hit takes off in 2023 similar to KC had from 18 to 20.

And the Bills have just a much more well rounded team than the Chiefs. Until they have to pay all those people. Similar to Seahawks 2013/14.