Week 5 Overreactions: The "Has the NFL figured out Patrick Mahomes?" Edition

AFlaccoSeagulls

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

And the Cowboys had only 14 carries because they were in a shootout and thus Dak dropped 400 passing yards against their defense. A Bucs pass DVOA that is currently ranked 21st in the league.

The path of necessity and of least resistance thus comes in the form of an aerial assault against their defense. That wasn’t true of the 2000 Ravens defense. Teams weren’t killing them through the air because it was easier than banging in the trenches.

But I digress. The Cowboys attained an overall 3.3 ypc. Yet Pollard, the more explosive runner, found success with a 4.7 YPC average. The sample size in simply wasn’t great enough to challenge the efficiency of that defense.

Point is, the poster who quoted you listed that the 2000 Ravens defense faced 3 top 10 rushing offenses multiple times that season and then dominated in the playoffs. Yet the Bucs haven’t completed 1/3 of the season and haven’t faced, to this point, legitimate rushing challenges that would have the potential to expose some of their efficiency numbers.

I’m not claiming it’s not an incredibly formidable attack, simply that it’s CERTAINLY an overreaction to compare it to the Ravens run defense (which I’m sure the Steelers also had some incredible run defenses in the 70s that I’m not knowledgeable of and I know the Eagles had a dominant run defense with Reggie White) and say it’s probably the GOAT run defense.

Pollard 4.7 YPC? Lol. Three rushes of 0 yards, 3 yards, and then 11 yards on the last meaningless play of the game. Wow, 4.7 YPC, so explosive!

Skippy brought up the Ravens run D as a measuring stick, not to say the TB run defense was GOAT. Try to follow along and make less ridiculous takes like Pollard 4.7 YPC on 3 rushes. Hahaha.

TB hasn't faced any good run offenses except for Dallas, which is 2nd in rushing. They allowed 3.3ypc against them, which would be best in the league. Still a lot to prove for sure, and like Flacco said, it's a different era. TB currently facing about 15 rushes per game while Baltimore faced more than 20.

Edited by childofpudding

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Is this is a compliment or a criticism? lol

Much more of a compliment. He's a super talented, exciting young WR who had a breakout game in Dallas in a game that will be oddly remembered more for things other than the final score. He also has a temper and gets into fights with DBs.

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Much more of a compliment. He's a super talented, exciting young WR who had a breakout game in Dallas in a game that will be oddly remembered more for things other than the final score. He also has a temper and gets into fights with DBs.

His moves in the open field are one of the best I have ever seen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Diggs will have 17 ints

teams will start to look at him more serious and will avoid throwing his way in which outside of diggs is that DBs corp a true threat? Teams with multiple talented wrs they will just pass the opposite side he is playing. He will see less and less balls thrown his way which is good but at the same time he wont get that many more Ints

16 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

His moves in the open field are one of the best I have ever seen

There really are only a few guys in the NFL who can move the way he does. OBJ used to, Tyreek Hill does currently. I can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head who does currently. Desean Jackson did when he was younger too I think? Lesean McCoy had that type of wiggle too. But yeah, it's definitely a rare trait and it is so much fun to watch.

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There really are only a few guys in the NFL who can move the way he does. OBJ used to, Tyreek Hill does currently. I can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head who does currently. Desean Jackson did when he was younger too I think? Lesean McCoy had that type of wiggle too. But yeah, it's definitely a rare trait and it is so much fun to watch.

There's a QB in Baltimore who does.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He'll become a pariah in Maraville shortly 😅

Unless you're Josh Brown, only passionless boy scouts are allowed.

• Like 1