Week 5 Overreactions: The "Has the NFL figured out Patrick Mahomes?" Edition

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

It seems everyone finally realizes that cap hits matter. If your QB is going to take up 35-40 million, it's going to be difficult to win a SB, if not impossible. 

Mahomes is in his last year of a low cap hit, so they should be better but KC ignored the defense and is too top heavy.

Josh Allen and the Bills have now a 2 year window until his cap hit takes off in 2023 similar to KC had from 18 to 20.

And the Bills have just a much more well rounded team than the Chiefs. Until they have to pay all those people. Similar to Seahawks 2013/14.

People keep talking about a window but great organizations keep the window open. The Rams window was supposed to be from 2017 to what 2019 but yet people are still saying their window still exists for another 2-3 yrs. Why?? Bc the Rams draft well, replace Gurley with Akers and Henderson. Akers goes down and they get Michel. They also remade and developed the OL after losing Saffold, Sullivan, and Blythe. Then moving off from Goff to Stafford. Also the Rams keep losing assistant coaches and coordinators but yet still finding solid to good to even great replacements. So I don’t think the Bills have a “window” bc they have great coaching and a FO that will make smart moves to keep them in contention.

I do agree it’s hard but teams have to hit on draft picks and develop players. Maybe CEH wasn’t a smart pick by the Chiefs after all in that draft. I love him being a former LSU player and will ever be thankful for what he did for the Tigers in that special season with Burrow but the Chiefs took him for luxury and not a strong need. Plus he is a smallish back whom against teams  like the Bills, Browns, and Chargers you have to be physical in the trenches.

Ill go back again and say the Chiefs poured all their resources on the OL in the offseason bc of what happened to them in the SB and they thought they were fine on defense but in reality they aren’t. They only have one way to win and that’s Mahomes being Superman every week. The Chiefs are just a better version of the Seahawks. The Seahawks have the great Russ but want to run and play defense bc of Pete Carroll. The Chiefs have the great Mahomes but Reid is going to flash and let Mahomes try to throw for a billion yards and tds. Defense can’t stop nobody and they aren’t a great running team to control the clock and keep their defense off the field as much as possible. That’s not a good formula for consistent long term success.

Edited by stl4life07

1 hour ago, RUGmen said:

I mean, Culley walked into a dumpster fire of a roster and star QB out in the wind.

That being said, definitely a head scratching hire from the start.

Even with those handicaps, his decision making is downright baffling - declining penalties to punt on 4th and 1 vs Cleveland, electing to go for the TD on 4th and 2 vs taking a short FG early on in Buffalo, every decision outside of the first half 2min warning vs Carolina, pretty much EVERY decision in the 2nd half vs New England - it's multiple choices in multiple games where even the casual football fan is thinking "what the heck is he doing?"

Everyone is praising him for his "leader of men" style of coaching, but one thing nobody is talking about - the Texans are the most penalized team in football (or top 3 at least). For all of the culture stuff and "good guys" in the locker room, this team is woefully undisciplined on the field. I don't think the Texans have an offensive drive this season where they DIDN'T have a penalty (Tytus Howard is penalized at least three times a game nowadays).

Give me a few speeding tickets and an assault or two over all of these holding calls... jeez.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

People keep talking about a window but great organizations keep the window open. The Rams window was supposed to be from 2017 to what 2019 but yet people are still saying their window still exists for another 2-3 yrs. Why?? Bc the Rams draft well, replace Gurley with Akers and Henderson. Akers goes down and they get Michel. They also remade and developed the OL after losing Saffold, Sullivan, and Blythe. Then moving off from Goff to Stafford. So I don’t think the Chiefs or Bills have a “window” bc they have great coaching and a FO that will make smart moves to keep them in contention.

I do agree it’s hard but teams have to hit on draft picks and develop players. Maybe CEH wasn’t a smart pick by the Chiefs after all in that draft. I love him being a former LSU player and will ever be thankful for what he did for the Tigers in that special season with Burrow but the Chiefs took him for luxury and not a strong need. Plus he is a smallish back whom against teams  like the Bills, Browns, and Chargers you have to be physical in the trenches.

Ill go back again and say the Chiefs poured all their resources on the OL in the offseason bc of what happened to them in the SB and they thought they were fine on defense but in reality they aren’t. They only have one way to win and that’s Mahomes being Superman every week. The Chiefs are just a better version of the Seahawks. The Seahawks have the great Russ but want to run and play defense bc of Pete Carroll. The Chiefs have the great Mahomes but Reid is going to flash and let Mahomes try to throw for a billion yards and tds. Defense can’t stop nobody and they aren’t a great running team to control the clock and keep their defense off the field as much as possible. That’s not a good formula for consistent long term success.

That's not really realistic. The QB performance needs to outperform the QBs cap hit. The Rams window was open until Goff got paid. The Rams have now created another 2 year window because Stafford is not one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL, not because the Rams draft well which is also very controversial. If Stafford keeps playing well, he will demand a much bigger contract after the 2022 season.

The title window is a real thing. That's the reason Aaron Rodgers has 1 SB and never even returned to the big one.

The margin for error is too small to consistently keep winning with a monster QB contract.

Great QBs will make teams a consistent winner and a so called contender but actually winning it will be very difficult.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Even with those handicaps, his decision making is downright baffling - declining penalties to punt on 4th and 1 vs Cleveland, electing to go for the TD on 4th and 2 vs taking a short FG early on in Buffalo, every decision outside of the first half 2min warning vs Carolina, pretty much EVERY decision in the 2nd half vs New England - it's multiple choices in multiple games where even the casual football fan is thinking "what the heck is he doing?"

Everyone is praising him for his "leader of men" style of coaching, but one thing nobody is talking about - the Texans are the most penalized team in football (or top 3 at least). For all of the culture stuff and "good guys" in the locker room, this team is woefully undisciplined on the field. I don't think the Texans have an offensive drive this season where they DIDN'T have a penalty (Tytus Howard is penalized at least three times a game nowadays).

Give me a few speeding tickets and an assault or two over all of these holding calls... jeez.

Rivers McCown on Twitter: "They gave Cunningham $23 million guaranteed before the 2020 season. He's the fifth-highest paid LB in the league, and they restructured him this offseason to push more cap into the future on his deal ... and he can't play on third downs, Goodness." / Twitter

lol

5 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

*Shrug*

Cunningham is the one truly baffling player on this defense. He's not supposed to be this bad.

I'm now wondering if he's disgruntled - he was suspended internally and missed the first quarter of the Cleveland game, and had a few "personal reasons" excuses where he missed days and practices.

It's odd, I'm actually expecting Cunningham to be gone sooner rather than later.

20 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

That's not really realistic. The QB performance needs to outperform the QBs cap hit. The Rams window was open until Goff got paid. The Rams have now created another 2 year window because Stafford is not one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL, not because the Rams draft well which is also very controversial. If Stafford keeps playing well, he will demand a much bigger contract after the 2022 season.

The title window is a real thing. That's the reason Aaron Rodgers has 1 SB and never even returned to the big one.

The margin for error is too small to consistently keep winning with a monster QB contract.

Great QBs will make teams a consistent winner and a so called contender but actually winning it will be very difficult.

I totally get what you are saying. I guess what Im saying is as long as the organization has good to great coaching and a FO that knows what it’s doing in terms of the draft and making moves in general then having a great QB their team will always have their window open.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

Pretty sure the Rams are paying more for the QB position than most teams this year though, when you factor in the money owed to Goff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont think its Mahomes overrated. I just think he is having to finally face adversity he never really was given. He had a solid oline and weapons on offense when he stepped in after sitting out his rookie year. Now that the defense has been so bad the pressure of the offense consistently having to put up high numbers in order to stay in games is going to cause more turnovers. KC will be a top 5 team in the AFC for the next few years, with Bills, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, and Titans (weak division) with Raiders and Bengals as potential threats for the next couple of years. These 5 will be discussed a lot as AFC contenders to go to the AFCCG.

I think it’d be very foolish to discount the Steelers. The thing about projections is that the teams with the most consistency are the ones most likely to excel in the future, as in the present.

Tomlin will find a way to be a perennial playoff contender with a RB talent like Najee Harris in the fold. The only thing that team is missing is a legit QB.

Edited by diamondbull424
Didn’t mean to say “foolish” meant to say the above.

24 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think it’s very foolish to discount the Steelers. The thing about projections is that the teams with the most consistency are the ones most likely to excel in the future, as in the present.

Tomlin will find a way to be a perennial playoff contender with a RB talent like Najee Harris in the fold. The only thing that team is missing is a legit QB.

Im talking about the up coming years. im not talking only about right now. This 2022 draft is going to have a similar situation like 2019 and 2013 which is a weak qb class and big ben is looking flat you think hes going to be able to stick around long enough for them to find a replacement for his future? This league is qb driven and if you dont have a franchise qb then you will struggle and steelers will be right there.