Why are the Dolphins so bad?

Apparition

Or rather, why is their defense so bad? The offense is pretty self-explanatory. But the defense was supposed to be one of the better up-and-coming units in the league, with guys like Howard, Wilkins, Byron Jones, Ogbah, and now Jaelan Phillips in the mix, plus their hotshot young defensive coach. And yet they can't seem to stop a nosebleed, and are a Damien Harris fumble away from being 0-5.

So what's going on?

It's not as bad as it seems, I think. Middle of the pack in dvoa (and on the right side of 0), middle of the pack in yards per play. Getting some takeaways. Middle of the pack in red zone td conversions. 

They are getting killed on third / fourth down conversion, which you would hope would regress some and their offense can't keep the ball (bottom three entering today in TOP). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's not as bad as it seems, I think. Middle of the pack in dvoa (and on the right side of 0), middle of the pack in yards per play. Getting some takeaways. Middle of the pack in red zone td conversions. 

They are getting killed on third / fourth down conversion, which you would hope would regress some and their offense can't keep the ball (bottom three entering today in TOP). 

As Belichick says: stats are for losers, final score is for winners. 

Miami hasn't been able to stop their opponents from scoring and have gotten absolutely manhandled by Buffalo and Tampa. They even allowed Indy to nearly drop 30 on them.

Meanwhile their offense is perpetually stuck in the mud because Tua is as fragile as a liberal's feelings and the supporting cast is as mediocre as him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

As Belichick says: stats are for losers, final score is for winners. 

Miami hasn't been able to stop their opponents from scoring and have gotten absolutely manhandled by Buffalo and Tampa. They even allowed Indy to nearly drop 30 on them.

Apparently the op cares because he asked the question. 

And, yeah, win / loss records have never been misleading.  

They got thumped by two of the best offenses in football. I wouldn't have expected them to hold them back. Two of the scoring drives against the colts went a combined 7 yards. 

The scoring is out of whack with the numbers otherwise surrounding their performance, so something is due to regress, either the points or the data surrounding it.

If the offense gets better, and I assume it will with tua, and as they head into a six game stretch that includes Atlanta, Jax and the jets and Houston, I would expect regression in a positive manner

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently the op cares because he asked the question. 

And, yeah, win / loss records have never been misleading.  

They got thumped by two of the best offenses in football. I wouldn't have expected them to hold them back. Two of the scoring drives against the colts went a combined 7 yards. 

The scoring is out of whack with the numbers otherwise surrounding their performance, so something is due to regress, either the points or the data surrounding it.

If the offense gets better, and I assume it will with tua, and as they head into a six game stretch that includes Atlanta, Jax and the jets and Houston, I would expect regression in a positive manner

It doesn't take rocket science or PFF mumbo jumbo stats to explain why a team is bad.

Miami's third down defense is dead last.

Their defense is tied for fifth in penalties.

The only defense that has allowed more first downs is Seattle.

They only have two interceptions.

So you have an undisciplined defense that can't get off the field or make plays. Result is an overall bad defense.

14 minutes ago, biggie. said:

It doesn't take rocket science or PFF mumbo jumbo stats to explain why a team is bad.

Miami's third down defense is dead last.

Their defense is tied for fifth in penalties.

The only defense that has allowed more first downs is Seattle.

They only have two interceptions.

So you have an undisciplined defense that can't get off the field or make plays. Result is an overall bad defense.

*Criticizes my use of stats... Claims it doesn't take rocket science... Proceeds to use various data points and statistics to get point across, one of which I mentioned in my initial post* 

Cool

• Like 12

Anyway, OP, as I mentioned, bad start, I'd expect some positive regression in some aspects in the coming weeks. I don't think they are a top five defense or anything, but I don't think that they are as bad as they look right now either. I think there will be improvement statistically.