Whats wrong with THESE Jets!

Big T

Okay 5 games into the season, so what is the issue or issues with THIS Jets team?

The fact of the matter is not only do we have the youngest team in the NFL and many of them first year players.

But our coaching staff are a bunch of rookies too, all of them to the best of my knowledge have never been a DC, OC, or HC. 

That in itself tells you, we're going to experience growing pains. JU defense scheme against Atlanta was poorly executed especially when you see D lineman covering TE's!

ML offensive scheme's and lack of thinking outside of the box is glaring, it doesn't matter who is behind center, an OC has to become an innovator. Leflur has shown little of that.

The Jets are unable to run the ball and you have some of the fastest WR's in the game put them into the backfield, TRY SOMETHING, Mim's has 4.3 speed, Moore likewise, use these players. 

Salah is a good coach but a rookie as well, and he is being out coached, Leflur for some reason doesn't cover up his mouth when calling out plays, is he telegraphing what the Jets are doing?

The Jets don't have a breakout offensive player like, McCaffery Pitts, Elliot, or Derrik Henry, I think this is an issue as well. We have good players, players capable of making plays but no go to guy.

So here we are at 1-4 with plenty of blame to go around, and some bright spots and hope. But if the season progresses and is a glimpse of things to come, the Jets finish with 3 wins and 14 loses.

But lets give credit where credit is due, up until yesterday the defense was playing well, maybe between the win and how many snaps the defense had to play, the jet lag and time differences took its toll on the Jet D.

But as far as the O is concerned, we have one win and not because of ML, ZW's off platform play was the reason for that. ML has to wake up as well as RS and realize the rest of the league is going to figure out what works and what the Jets are doing offensively and beat them week after week.

Time has come to shake things up.

We don’t have an offensive identity, that’s our biggest problem. Defensively I think we’ll be fine in the long run but with the way LaFleur has been calling games I’m very concerned, he was brought in to run some variation or The Shannahan WCO and it doesn’t appear like we are. It seems like we’re trying to build our offense around Zach’s ability to throw off platform and cross body which is a huge mistake. Yes it’s fantastic that he has the ability to do that but you shouldn’t be building the basis out your offense around that.

• Like 2

We just aren't good on offense. Wilson is going through major growing pains and apparently so is our OC. I'm excited to get the Big Ticket back, and hopefully Zach will feel more comfortable stepping through the pocket instead of running around it.

I've been quiet about the Mims saga, but its concerning that we rather trot out Berrios and Cole over the guys we invested draft stock into. I say let em rip - we aren't going anywhere this season.

As of right now, I can't look past the coaching issues. I definitely believe JD loved Wilson, I don't believe he thought Wilson should go unchallenged. No way he drafted Mims to be in this situation and Moore not getting PT. Normally, I feel like the offense doesn't have enough talent and it makes coaches look bad, but I think the talent is better than the coaching. Wilson isn't perfect, but like I mentioned before, it's not his fault we thought he should be handed the keys day 1. 

For defense, they are living and dying by the scheme. We just don't give up the big plays, so QBs eat us up for yards and then we play tight. Our CBs are 5th and 6th round picks, nobody knows who are safeties are right now, the only LB teams wanted is Mosely but should look better when Davis returns, and the Dline lost Lawson. Some how, we're hanging in there. So I have to give the scheme on this side props. 

Wilson wasn't in my top-3 and I've never liked the 4-3 defense. So me defending both feels weird. lol

Problem 1.  You should have NEVER drafted Wilson. (Kept Sam traded down got Pitts or Chase plus other first round picks)

Problem 2 You should have NEVER started Wilson week 1. ( You should NEVER start a rookie QB. It is rare they do well. Needed a Vet to start)

Problem 3.  You need to get the run going first and set up simple screen passes. Stop with the deep ball every 3 or 4 plays.

Problem 4. You have to stop with the rebuild stuff and sign your stud players no matter the age or position. 

Problem 5. No one wants to play for this sorry loser team so you HAVE to overpay to get the studs in here and that probably will not work. 

Problem 6. The play calling is just plan bad. The OC should have been let go Monday during off week to get the new OC going. 

Problem 7. Stop with the excuses. These are grown men getting paid millions. Call them out and bench their butts. Wilson should be the first one on the bench followed by Van ROTTEN and Shepard. 

I can go on and on. Basically you have to do the total opposite of what these clowns think is right. I'm done protecting this sorry team. It should not take a decade to rebuild. Look at the Cards, Bills, Browns, Chargers. They all took chances that people thought was dumb. The Cards high a GREAT O mind guy and he tells them get ride of your first round QB after 1 year and use the #1 pick on a QB. 

We are looking at another 3 years just to get ride of HC and QB. This is the part that sucks the most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Problem 1.  You should have NEVER drafted Wilson. (Kept Sam traded down got Pitts or Chase plus other first round picks)

Problem 2 You should have NEVER started Wilson week 1. ( You should NEVER start a rookie QB. It is rare they do well. Needed a Vet to start)

Problem 3.  You need to get the run going first and set up simple screen passes. Stop with the deep ball every 3 or 4 plays.

Problem 4. You have to stop with the rebuild stuff and sign your stud players no matter the age or position. 

Problem 5. No one wants to play for this sorry loser team so you HAVE to overpay to get the studs in here and that probably will not work. 

Problem 6. The play calling is just plan bad. The OC should have been let go Monday during off week to get the new OC going. 

Problem 7. Stop with the excuses. These are grown men getting paid millions. Call them out and bench their butts. Wilson should be the first one on the bench followed by Van ROTTEN and Shepard. 

I can go on and on. Basically you have to do the total opposite of what these clowns think is right. I'm done protecting this sorry team. It should not take a decade to rebuild. Look at the Cards, Bills, Browns, Chargers. They all took chances that people thought was dumb. The Cards high a GREAT O mind guy and he tells them get ride of your first round QB after 1 year and use the #1 pick on a QB. 

We are looking at another 3 years just to get ride of HC and QB. This is the part that sucks the most. 

Myth 1, we could not have traded down and got Pitts and Chase.  We would have missed out on them and then we would be stuck with Sam probably struggling here and need to pay him over $20 mil next season.

Myth 2, the Jets didn't care about wins, they cared about development. Many QBs have said that the best things they had was reps as a rookie to learn the game and get understand things better.

Myth 3, they are trying to run but it doesn't always go well.  Wilson is doing bad at selling the PA as well. 

Myth 4, that attitude is what caused the Jets to suck for so long.

Myth 5, players play where they get paid. 

Myth 6, that is great attitude fire people after a few games. Then think that anyone would want to come here. 

Myth 7, its about perspective.  Benching a rookie does nothing.  

We can all agree, that losing is terrible, especially if your a Jet fan. A win for this team is like winning a playoff game, our hopes soar for the next potential victory. 

Only to be brought down to the reality, that this current team which is still being constructed is a few years away. It really doesn't matter the cap room or the draft choices.

Hope springs eternal.

But there is somewhat of a silver lining concerning "these Jets", yes they are losing, yes Wilson has thrown too many interceptions (erase the N.E. game and its not as bad). The O line has struggled, does anyone believe that the Jets will not draft linemen next year who will be able to step right in and start?

I would agree, you have to learn to win and finish if you want to be successful, the Jets have not learned how to win as a team and sometimes they look unprofessional.

22 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Myth 1, we could not have traded down and got Pitts and Chase.  We would have missed out on them and then we would be stuck with Sam probably struggling here and need to pay him over $20 mil next season.

Myth 2, the Jets didn't care about wins, they cared about development. Many QBs have said that the best things they had was reps as a rookie to learn the game and get understand things better.

Myth 3, they are trying to run but it doesn't always go well.  Wilson is doing bad at selling the PA as well. 

Myth 4, that attitude is what caused the Jets to suck for so long.

Myth 5, players play where they get paid. 

Myth 6, that is great attitude fire people after a few games. Then think that anyone would want to come here. 

Myth 7, its about perspective.  Benching a rookie does nothing.  

Yup I total disagree here with you on all these. Nothing will change if you keep doing the wrong things. We have done this for 10 years and it has gotten the Jets no where. It is time to think outside the box. 

The last eleven NFL seasons our record is 60 wins 105 losses. The only year we were over 500% was 2015 when we were 10-6. And in that period of time we draft three QB's all with very high first round picks, Sanchez with the fourth overall pick in the draft, Darnold, with the third overall pick in the draft, and Wilson with second overall pick in the draft. In that period of time we failed to draft one WR, TE, or RB that could help any of our drafted QBs. All the offensive help these QB's got were from all the good FA players we picked up. And don't be fooled by the 10-6 season in 2015 we played teams like Washington who had no QB Cinny, without Joe burrows. And I don't even want mention Geno Smith, our second round pick, he had nothing to work with. I saw Smith Suday after Wilson got hurt and he looked terrific. IF ANYBODY HAS A QUESTION WHY WE ARE SO LOUSY JUST LOOK AT OUR OFFENSIVE DRAFTING THE LAST ELEVEN YEARS.   

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The last eleven NFL seasons our record is 60 wins 105 losses. The only year we were over 500% was 2015 when we were 10-6. And in that period of time we draft three QB's all with very high first round picks, Sanchez with the fourth overall pick in the draft, Darnold, with the third overall pick in the draft, and Wilson with second overall pick in the draft. In that period of time we failed to draft one WR, TE, or RB that could help any of our drafted QBs. All the offensive help these QB's got were from all the good FA players we picked up. And don't be fooled by the 10-6 season in 2015 we played teams like Washington who had no QB Cinny, without Joe burrows. And I don't even want mention Geno Smith, our second round pick, he had nothing to work with. I saw Smith Suday after Wilson got hurt and he looked terrific. IF ANYBODY HAS A QUESTION WHY WE ARE SO LOUSY JUST LOOK AT OUR OFFENSIVE DRAFTING THE LAST ELEVEN YEARS.   

We did draft Mims and Moore. Just because they are not being used properly by LePew does not mean they were not good picks. You can argue Carter at RB, but he is looking good for a 4th round rookie.

But I get your point. It took until 2020 to do that. The bigger issue beyond your aforementioned positions was completely ignoring OL. No QB would look good behind what we have had and, by extension, no WR would look good. No RB would be able to run behind them. That is where the previous GM’s have failed miserably. We now have a GM that understands that the O runs through the OL before anything else.

Let’s hope the OL begins to play better as they have been showing the last few games.  Let’s hope JD adds another piece or two to complete the OL rebuild. Once that is complete, we should see improvement in the running and passing game. Of course it would then depend solely on Zach and LePew. 

An incredibly understated reason for why this team sucks is the high turnover rate at the leadership positions. Whether it's GMS or HCs or OCs we have burned through them like crazy.

This has had the effect of forcing us to "reset" our philosophies regarding what type of players we need at every position constantly. There is no continuity that can be used to build a foundation because we keep changing how we want our foundation to look. Every new GM or catch wants to put their own mark on the team and get their own guys in.  You cannot build a good team that way. Our longest tenured player is a 5 year guy who we are supposedly looking to trade away.

We have ALREADY begun to see our fan base calling for the firing or Saleh and/or Lefluer, which would mean ANOTHER reset.

Want to build a strong team? Get a GM and head coach on the same page. Preferably guys with some kind of proven track record and let them identify and build a team that fits their scheme. Then let them actually put the scheme together and adjust it over the course of a few years. Our biggest mistake was canning Rex after one bad season. The guy was competing in a division with Tom Brady and BB. Having to battle that duo every year assured that he would have down years, but he showed that he could build a team and motivate it. They should have had him get a second crack at a QB after Mark busted.

14 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Elijiah Moore played in the slot 78% of the time last season.  This year only 25% which is baffling.

I did hear the commentators briefly mention a reason for this during the game. They said they asked Saleh/someone about it and they said that they felt that Crowder was one of the best players on the team. A stance I happen to agree with.

Now, if Moore isn't playing in the slot when Crowder's out, then that's clearly idiotic. But I can hardly argue with playing Crowder over Moore if they're both vying for the same position.

27 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I did hear the commentators briefly mention a reason for this during the game. They said they asked Saleh/someone about it and they said that they felt that Crowder was one of the best players on the team. A stance I happen to agree with.

Now, if Moore isn't playing in the slot when Crowder's out, then that's clearly idiotic. But I can hardly argue with playing Crowder over Moore if they're both vying for the same position.

The thing I would add to this is that it's the coaching staff's responsibility to put their best players in a position to contribute. Even if they all play the same position. Find formations and plays to get them on the field and contributing.

The question of course then becomes "is Moore one of our better players?", and that's hard to answer with the information we have. We saw everyone clamouring for Justin Fields to start for the Bears, and that's not looking like it was the right decision.