Week 6: VIKINGS (2-3) at Panthers (3-2)

swede700

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Should have beat AZ when Cook was in there. That was ultimately in the kicker.

I’m curious to see how things are going between Zimmer and Cousins this week. Maybe Zimmer will realize his way is not working with this team.

I get your point, and I agree with it.  However, we fans probably need to refrain from continuing the mantra that we should have beat Cincinnati and we should have beat Arizona.  The fact is, the Vikings didn't beat either one placing the team in a hole in trying to be competitive with the Packers and the Bears.  Minnesota's schedule in absolutely brutal going forward...and yes, I think the Lions will be even better when the Vikings go to Ford Field...and they need to go on a winning streak and win actual games if they are going to be the seven seed in the playoffs.  

The Vikings have a lot of talent, but they don't seem to be able to make the best use of their outstanding players...other than Jefferson perhaps. Posters on this board have already shown that the Vikings offense is pretty predictable.  I would also argue that Zimmer, as a defensive play caller, has been pretty much neutered by the more dynamic offenses...except for Seattle, for some reason.  The Vikings have games coming up against the Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, Packers, and 49'ers before we get the Lions again, followed by Pittsburg.  If those teams are playing close to full strength, the Vikings could make it to December 2 - 9.  It's conceivable that the Vikings could beat the Lions again and possibly the Steelers (who I think are probably going to be last in the AFC North). After that the Vikings play the Bears twice, the Packers and the Rams...Yikes.  Is 4 - 13 a possible record for the Vikings?  Could the Vikings lose to Detroit and/or Pittsburg?  It's a tough, tough, tough path to the playoffs.  I don't think the Vikings will beat most of their opponents if the opponents are near full strength.

So, again, the losses against Cincinnati, Arizona and Cleveland are hurting this team, and continuing to say the Vikings should've won those games is not thinking realistically that this team, as talented as it is, could end up with a historically bad record for this franchise.

This team is going to end up with 9-10 wins. 

Do I think that this team had the potential for 12 wins or more? Yes. 

Do I think that this team will realize that potential under Zimmer/Kubiak? No. 

Do I think any other coach available or on staff would do better for the rest of this season? No. 

Unless ownership wants to give Kubiak Jr. an extended audition, Zimmer will be our coach for the rest of the year, barring a significant losing streak. 

I just hope the Wilfs pull the plug after this season. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I get your point, and I agree with it.  However, we fans probably need to refrain from continuing the mantra that we should have beat Cincinnati and we should have beat Arizona.  The fact is, the Vikings didn't beat either one placing the team in a hole in trying to be competitive with the Packers and the Bears.  Minnesota's schedule in absolutely brutal going forward...and yes, I think the Lions will be even better when the Vikings go to Ford Field...and they need to go on a winning streak and win actual games if they are going to be the seven seed in the playoffs.  

The Vikings have a lot of talent, but they don't seem to be able to make the best use of their outstanding players...other than Jefferson perhaps. Posters on this board have already shown that the Vikings offense is pretty predictable.  I would also argue that Zimmer, as a defensive play caller, has been pretty much neutered by the more dynamic offenses...except for Seattle, for some reason.  The Vikings have games coming up against the Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens, Chargers, Packers, and 49'ers before we get the Lions again, followed by Pittsburg.  If those teams are playing close to full strength, the Vikings could make it to December 2 - 9.  It's conceivable that the Vikings could beat the Lions again and possibly the Steelers (who I think are probably going to be last in the AFC North). After that the Vikings play the Bears twice, the Packers and the Rams...Yikes.  Is 4 - 13 a possible record for the Vikings?  Could the Vikings lose to Detroit and/or Pittsburg?  It's a tough, tough, tough path to the playoffs.  I don't think the Vikings will beat most of their opponents if the opponents are near full strength.

So, again, the losses against Cincinnati, Arizona and Cleveland are hurting this team, and continuing to say the Vikings should've won those games is not thinking realistically that this team, as talented as it is, could end up with a historically bad record for this franchise.

We didn’t deserve to beat Cleveland and Cincinnati. But the AZ game, we absolutely should have won by simply making a 39 yard field goal. AZ really was outplayed. 7-9 wins is still where I see things headed but it’s going to be similar to the Detroit game. It won’t be pretty and at some point I expect the Cousins/Zimmer schism or whatever we’re going to call it to expose itself. Hopefully ownership can look beyond wins and losses when determining Zimmer’s fate.

Edited by vikingsrule

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Now, just let the offense loose

I've never really dug into the DVOA analytics, my old brain is getting wore out on math.   The defense is doing three things right:

1.  Sacks/pressuring QBs

2.  Making stops on 3rd Down

3.  Getting some turnovers

What the D is not doing is forcing long 3rd downs early in opponent's drives.   The D is not stopping 10-yd+ runs.   These two things need to change.   Pass D has been ok, if you're looking at numbers alone, but Baker Mayfield should have made 6 or 7 throws and Russell Wilson a couple that would've resulted in big plays for their teams.   So, pass D-wise, the Vikes have been more lucky than good, IMO, probably a result of the pressures.

As a statement game, this road NFC tilt, provides the Vikes a couple great opportunities.   First, the offense can show its absolute power by devastating Carolina's defense, currently ranked 2nd in yards/game and 1st in pass D.    Let's see this offense go for 300 yards through the air and 100 on the ground, putting up 31 points.  2nd, I think this is the type of game where Zimmer's talking to the D all week telling them this is their time to let the NFL world know the Vikings D is real.   I think they rattle Darnold early and a gimpy CMC has a couple plays, but overall doesn't shift the power curve for their offense.   Harrison Smith attones for his missed pick last week by getting two.   Danielle Hunter wreaks havoc this week putting himself squarely in the defensive MVP convo.  

Vikes 31 - Panthers 23

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

The Vegas line opened at Carolina (-1) and has shifted all the way to the Minnesota (-1) already. Is there something on the injury report I'm missing? Perhaps the 2 game slump the Panthers are in?

I haven't heard any reason why, but my guess is it all hinges on the health of McCaffrey. It's basically a pick 'em, especially when you consider all the factors...the health of the RBs and the performances of the QBs and the O-Lines.    

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I haven't heard any reason why, but my guess is it all hinges on the health of McCaffrey. It's basically a pick 'em, especially when you consider all the factors...the health of the RBs and the performances of the QBs and the O-Lines.    

Minnesota very clearly has an advantage at QB and O-Line, but I fear that McCaffrey will eat up this run defense which will level things out.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, SemperFeist said:

Now, just let the offense loose

How is that the case?  The first three games the defense sucked, last two not the case but I would have thought the first three would have skewed those statistics a bit more...

Will be fun to see how the Vikings OL deals with the outstanding front 7 for the Panthers.  Burns, Reddick, Thompson and Chinn are the new wave of the NFL, all can do multiple things, all can rush the passer and drop in coverage and cover multiple positions if asked.  

Vikings need to pay attention to Tommy Tremble, since Arnold was traded, Panthers will be looking for the 2nd TE/HB a lot more and he is a tough physical player that is a score threat and great blocker.  Wish the Vikings would have drafted him honestly.