Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

All I’m gonna say, to avoid the eventual lock of this thread, is I hope they use this as a way to get out of his contract. 

Gruden, talking STRICTLY performance here, has been a complete disaster at GM and Roster Management (he really runs the show), and average at best as a Head Coach. He’d be a good OC. He can score a lot of god damn points. You have to give him that. His offensive mind is still sharp as ever. However:

- Horrible talent evaluator

- Horrible at staff hirings

- Horrible at roster management

- Horrible at discipling players. Way too much of a players coach. 

- Stubborn play caller when something clearly isn’t working. 

He’s not a good leader. He’s not a good Head Coach. He’s the worst talent evaluator/drafter ever. He’s not a good GM. He’s good at running an offense. That’s it. That’s what I give him credit for, he can run an offense with the best of them. 

Time for Gruden to go. Please. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

All I’m gonna say, to avoid the eventual lock of this thread, is I hope they use this as a way to get out of his contract. 

Gruden, talking STRICTLY performance here, has been a complete disaster at GM and Roster Management (he really runs the show), and average at best as a Head Coach. He’d be a good OC. He can score a lot of god damn points. You have to give him that. His offensive mind is still sharp as ever. However:

- Horrible talent evaluator

- Horrible at staff hirings

- Horrible at roster management

- Horrible at discipling players. Way too much of a players coach. 

- Stubborn play caller when something clearly isn’t working. 

He’s not a good leader. He’s not a good Head Coach. He’s the worst talent evaluator/drafter ever. He’s not a good GM. He’s good at running an offense. That’s it. That’s what I give him credit for, he can run an offense with the best of them. 

Time for Gruden to go. Please. 

ETA: Nevermind, apparently,

Edited by ReasonablySober

Just now, ReasonablySober said:

Imagine going to football performance after a story like this breaks. 

Huh? Basically everything they are accusing him of is against forum rules. 

This discussion will likely be geared towards how much Gruden sucks at his job and the overall impact this situation could have on his job. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

According to the article, there are questionable emails as recent as 2018.

IMO, there's nothing that could/should be done about emails in 2011. He wasn't employed by the team at the time and it leaves plenty of time for personal growth.

But if there is similar stuff from 2018, when he was employed by the Raiders, he's gotta go. At that point you're a representative of a team and the league. I'd have to imagine that it would be considered conduct detrimental to the organization and be an easy out for Davis to save some money.

• Like 3

Sucks that Gruden is a scum bag, but the Raiders should take full advantage of this and fire Gruden. 

Raiders are gonna be a very attractive landing spot for a GM and coach. They cannot mess this opportunity up. Mark Davis cannot just not do anything 

Edited by agarcia34

Much like the Patriots' scandals of the last 15 years were one team being made an example of in an effort to divert attention from the absolutely irredeemable culture of the NFL, this Jon Gruden thing falls into the same category. It's a league run by reactionary old white men.

Gruden should not get to keep his job - certainly not after that sad excuse for an apology. But the majority of NFL coaches and executives absolutely talk the way he does. Most of the players do too. 

• Like 1