Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

I must be out of the loop. What exactly did Nagy do to his player(s) that was so despicable?

Passing on Mahomes for Trubisky was the first thing that came to my mind.  (At least he saved face a little this year when they traded up for Justin Fields though). 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

This season is pretty damn screwed now, but it was 100% for the best. Let's just have fun and see who plays hard for a roster spot next year. It'll be interesting seeing what we do with Carr now especially. 

I don't see how the Raiders get better by dumping Carr. The best bet the team has is building a roster around the QB. Short of phenomenal luck, you are going to have the third best QB in the division going forward. Focus resources and assets on building the superior team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't see how the Raiders get better by dumping Carr. The best bet the team has is building a roster around the QB. Short of phenomenal luck, you are going to have the third best QB in the division going forward. Focus resources and assets on building the superior team.

We won't short-term, but if we get a good HC that can groom a young QB ie Brady, Daboll, Bienemy, then why not go for it? Carr is having a great year but by most accounts is an average QB who is 30 and will demand a new contract shortly. If we're truly rebuilding, then let's get that franchise rookie on a young contract and build around him.

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This season is pretty damn screwed now, but it was 100% for the best. Let's just have fun and see who plays hard for a roster spot next year. It'll be interesting seeing what we do with Carr now especially. 

putting aside the Vegas/new stadium appeal, Carr is probably the best selling point for a new coach. go after bieniemy or joe brady or somethin

but knowing the raiders we'll end up with Sark

Edited by Turnobili

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders went back to Jack Del Rio, and retained Greg Olsen (Del Rio's OC at one point) and Gus Bradley (runs same scheme as Ken Norton Jr who was Del Rio's DC). Would be the most stablizing hire to continue Carr's run. Del Rio had our culture headed in the right direction before and the Raiders are loyal as anyone (Gruden twice, Art Shell twice, etc. Once a Raider Always a Raider). These name drops like Joe Brady and whatever college guy that control an entire program will have a lot of competition. JDR would fit right in and be fine, but obviously not extremely exciting. I would dump Cable for Mike Tice back though at OL Coach if he'd come back outta retirement.

Just now, Turnobili said:

putting aside the Vegas/new stadium appeal, Carr is probably the bets selling point for a new coach. go after bieniemy or joe brady or somethin

but knowing the raiders we'll end up with Sark

The new duo will at least have the option of keeping Carr as their guy or not. The fact his contract is up shortly offers tons of flexibility. The fact they won't be 100% tied to an old QB could be a game changer for some execs.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Passing on Mahomes for Trubisky was the first thing that came to my mind.  (At least he saved face a little this year when they traded up for Justin Fields though). 

18 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I must be out of the loop. What exactly did Nagy do to his player(s) that was so despicable?

He hasn't done anything "despicable" as Heinz was saying. Quite the opposite, actually. He's a player's coach who will go out of his way to protect his guys. A few years ago Roquan Smith was going through a personal issue that caused him to miss a few games and Nagy was hammered by the media wondering what was going on and Nagy gave them nothing because Roquan wanted to keep it private and nobody but them knows exactly what it was till this day. Do you know how hard it is nowadays for athletes to keep things personal? That's a notch on Nagy's belt.  He was able to keep control of the media and the locker room respected him for it.

He did the same thing with Burton before the playoff game. Burton had anxiety and didn't want it be publically released until he was ready to speak on it and Nagy honored it.

• Like 2