Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

NFL took down a big name in an effort to push their new iniatives. They took the high ground and let others know it will not be tolerated. Pretty easy to understand the "Why". 

It's off the topic list in 2 weeks, if that. Gruden has been cancelled and the elder generation of coaches/owners/GM's have been put on notice.

Has it been the case in the last 20 years or so to say some of the stuff he did, get caught and keep your job? Maybe it has, but I think it's been universally unacceptable to say 'ist' things at work, and if you're caught, you get fired.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I seeee

When money and greed is involved, I wouldn't rule anything out 

The NFL was extremely anti-gambling which is why it took forever for the league to allow a team to play in Las Vegas. Now they're official partners with various large bookies throughout Vegas. Which to me starts a slippery slope in terms of the integrity of the game/league. Because now the people creating the lines for games have direct access to NFL owners and the commissioner as official partners. 

I also think the league realized how big of an attraction/revenue generator the Raiders can be for the league if we're good. And also realized that Gruden's incompetence was going to limit those odds of us being good any time soon big time. Because the league sent our team emails like a week ago but we didn't really do anything and then they continued to send emails so it seems as though they were hell bent in forcing our hand in moving on from Gruden. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Has it been the case in the last 20 years or so to say some of the stuff he did, get caught and keep your job? Maybe it has, but I think it's been universally unacceptable to say 'ist' things at work, and if you're caught, you get fired.

He got caught 10+ years after the fact. But yes, in your example, if you say those things at work you're fired.

If you say those things ever in a private conversation (or written) their are no statute of limitations in society. You are then fired + cancelled. He will never work again. 

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

If there is a whole slew of behaviors that are unacceptable, as appears in this case, then this one is a no-brainer, and I don't accept the counter arguments. 

Agreed. It was definitely a pattern of behavior from Gruden not just a one time slip up. He repeatedly made extremely vulgar comments over a long period of time. He deserved to be canned and as a Raiders fan I'm happy that this all came to light because he should've been fired for his football decisions and this gave us an easy way out. 

• Like 1

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

And the link I shared stated the NFL is up 17% vs 2020. Thank you. Glad we are all on the same page now. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/media/nfl-ratings-2021/index.html

Overall though when looking at the league's viewership over a 5 year period it has decreased and stagnated. You'd assume with all of the money invested into advertisements and the money the league has received from TV deals that viewership would be growing not just slightly decreasing, then slightly increasing, then remaining the same, over a period of 5-10 years. I just think that the general public isn't as interested in football as they once were. Fantasy played a huge role in helping save the leagues viewership as it gives casual fans a reason to tune in to games they really wouldn't have ever cared to watch. But I also think the fact that the league is now officially partnering with bookies says a lot, especially after how anti gambling they've been for decades. 

A few things:

*While he was employed/via work email

*Negatively impacting the perception of the team/culture

*Potential hostile work environment (See: Carl Nassib, other players on the team per the comments about Smith and others)

*Negatively impacting the team financially

*Losing the locker room

All cause for termination, and many of those cause for termination and/or lawsuits in various professions.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Can we end the side discussion of being "woke" and/or "canceled"? Return this discussion to how this affects the Raiders, the NFL, and Jon Gruden before I'm forced to lock this.

Thanks.

I’d say this is a 2 thumbs down scenario for Gruden

• Like 1

I mean, essentially Gruden is now a pariah and unemployable just about anywhere in any capacity. A guy who was beloved as a MNF commentator (and he's infinitely better than the trainwreck that is Griese) and face/personality of the league is now out of the NFL as a coach, never going to be in the media again, and has destroyed whatever reputation as a person that he had/had left. It's really a shame, because I always enjoyed Gruden as a personality.

(Note, it's a shame for a LOT more reasons than the above) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Can we end the side discussion of being "woke" and/or "canceled"? Return this discussion to how this affects the Raiders, the NFL, and Jon Gruden while leaving out the politics before I'm forced to lock this.

Thanks.

I think Gruden "woke" our fanbase up to the fact that any chance we had of making the playoffs this season is "canceled."

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, essentially Gruden is now a pariah and unemployable just about anywhere in any capacity. A guy who was beloved as a MNF commentator (and he's infinitely better than the trainwreck that is Griese) and face/personality of the league is now out of the NFL as a coach, never going to be in the media again, and has destroyed whatever reputation as a person that he had/had left. It's really a shame, because I always enjoyed Gruden as a personality.

(Note, it's a shame for a LOT more reasons than the above) 

Levy/Griese/Riddick honestly are worse than that year of the Booger-mobile and Witten.

Its wild because I like Riddick on his own but man is this current group almost unlistenable.

• Like 1