Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I would love for the Raiders to hire David Shaw.

He'd be a good get. He needs out of the pit that is Stanford anyway. Has a Raider connection. And most importantly, I can't think of anything remotely controversial about him. He's always struck me as a nice but no nonsense type. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

someone somewhere somehow will inevitably come out of the woodwork and spark outrage on Twitter and it's game over. 

Ron Wolf, HOF GM once said:

"If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting with the fans"

I think that applies here. IF you want EB and you're comfortable with his past & present you grab him knowing full well the idiots on twitter will go nuts. BFD. You can't run a franchise scared of twitter twats. The EB stuff can be handled professionally and NFL teams have the global platform to make sure the idiots look like idiots - which only strengthens the Raiders case for making that hire.

" Its not getting any smarter out there, you have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you"

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I agree with this, but think it's relevant to note that people desperate to shoehorn cancel culture into this no-brainer case of 'you gotta go' are implicitly admitting they're more concerned with other people hypothetically losing their jobs than they are with the implications of having an unrepentant bigot in a position of power and hiring authority.

Because even with obvious, clear cut, overwhelmingly easy and look at that bigot examples of "yeah this person shouldn't be in charge of the employment of black and gay people under his watch" has to be funneled through the culture war that animates every element of these dorks lives. It's all they have, so everything has to be a part of it.

I just find it hilarious that the NYT played Jon Gruden so well with this story. They leaked a little tease of an email, then Gruden gets up there and says "I don't have an ounce of racism in me", and then immediately they call BS and release the horde of emails showing him disparaging every single minority group that exists, and not just 10 years ago, but over a span of 7 years.

And beyond just the Gruden thing, you have to wonder how the Raiders didn't know about this since Gruden is literally emailing owners here, was he not? Or were these just personal emails between him and Bruce Allen?

This also speaks to how easy it is for people to lie and say one thing in front of the cameras and be a completely different person behind the scenes. Not that we didn't already have an idea of how much of a POS Jon Gruden is from his earlier coaching stints.

All in all - good riddance to Gruden and I hope we never hear from him again, but I feel like there's a lot more to this story that may implicate other coaches/owners.

• Like 3

Not make this political or what but I am far from a liberal and seeing all this “cancelled culture” etc. statements from people questioning why someone would be canned over this confuses me..

Whether this was 10 years ago or 10 mins..it was said at some point. Think of it at your job and emails were leaked about you saying stuff about your boss or coworkers what do you think would happen? Unless I am missing something here…

• Like 2

Just now, RUGmen said:

Whether this was 10 years ago or 10 mins..it was said at some point.

I think more of this especially revolves around:

1. At the time he was working for ESPN in the football world

2. Some of these were sent while under employment with the Raiders

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say Gruden was a young man in college, just after, etc. and not gainfully employed by an NFL team. Then I believe the barometer for having to resign is POTENTIALLY different (albeit navigating the locker room fallout he'd have to answer to/for), whereas this was done while gainfully employed.

Given these emails were sent over a span of YEARS and that it's not an isolated incident, but is rather a pattern of behavior, that's likely viewed as much worse (and should be).

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Are there odds on Bill O'Brien? I don't know why, but he seems like the type of guy who is milquetoast enough off the field to counter the issues brought on by this revelation - while having enough of a fluffed up resume (with all of those phyrric AFCS division titles to lay claim to).

If the odds are good enough, I'll drop a hundy on it.

I got Jim Harbaugh if he wants out of Michigan. Raider ties. Successful NFL resumé and would still give that pop they want for Vegas. 

• Like 2

Guys cancel culture is so bad.

I mean, not that I agree with anything said by Gruden, and it's definitely appropriate to fire someone for those things.

But I just want to re-iterate for no reason that cancel culture is bad.

Definitely don't passively condone the behavior though.  That's absolutely not what's happening here.

Cancel culture.

• Like 9